Solution found for DT880 Grattle / Rattle problem at low frequencies
Mar 24, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #16 of 31
Is this hair issue still a problem with the DT880?

I plan to gift one to a friend (female) who is not at all mechanically minded and will NOT be able to perform this clean-up action should the drivers start rattling. :frowning2:

Do you suppose Beyer improved their filters?

My other choice was to gift the ATH-M50. From what I've read, the DT880 is far superior to the M50 sonically. But I do NOT want to gift the 880 if it is going to develop this rattle down the road sometime.

Any thoughts?

Mar 24, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #17 of 31
First I've heard of this problem with the whole Beyer line. I've heard people complain about this with the 770's, but mine have been fine so far. Hopefully Beyer fixed the problem.

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #19 of 31
After my own personal experience with the rattle problem, I would not not buy the DT880 as a gift for another discerning audiophile.

When I Googled various audio forums about this problem ( including Amazon) , I discovered that this was (and still is)  a common problem.

Oct 31, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #20 of 31
Thank goodness I found this thread.

I've been having a rattle on low frequencies and thought for sure it was driver failure.

Well, I went the least obtrusive route by slapping the driver housing recommended in OP's  post [size=x-small]which did nothing, but I found another poster who mention [/size]disassembling[size=x-small] the driver and looking for hairs.[/size]

I pulled the driver apart all the way down to the naked driver (smaller than I thought it'd be) and sure enough there was a small thick hair that looked like a long eyelash half-stuck to the driver diaphragm. It was partially glued or adhered to the surface. I just pulled it loose, assembled everything up and  played my bass test, the song that clued me to the issue in the first place, Stained Century by Christ. which now has no rattle! Very happy about this, it's been driving me crazy for months!

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #21 of 31
forgive me for resurrecting the dead...BUT I MUST EXTEND MY MOST SINCERE GRATITUDE! i was an inch close to returning my dt880s and paying for 2 way shipping but lo and behold, three slaps and TADA! back to business. THANKS MAN!

Jun 12, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #23 of 31
I have the same problem, i opened the driver and i saw something like a hair, i pulled it but i noticed it was stuck to the driver and i think i shouldn't have done that :S  I didn't see any hair or anything strange. I assembled the driver back together and the problem still exists. I left a "hair" still on the driver because it was stuck and i didn't want to damage the driver. Any ideas?

Sep 7, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #25 of 31
Had the same issue on the left ear, rattling on low frequency's, Just posting my solution here,

The problem (for me and i guess everyone) was that when bass is played, the driver actually moves so much to the outside that it sometimes hits the black foam in the ear cup. Because there is actually a hole about a cm in diamiter in the middle of the barrier between the foam and the driver (you can actually feel this hole), that is required space for the driver to move in. the foam is pushed back by your ear into the little hole and causes the rattle.

so the solution is to just pull back the outside layer of the cup a bit from the middle with a tweezer or just your hands, and the driver will have enough room to move again without rattling. (no need to take it apart)

(you can use this video to test https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukQ6OSs3dWo ) where i clearly heard rattling

i guess this was solved by the OP by "pulling out a hair" but actually just pulling the outside layer and hairs got nothing to do with it >>.

Apr 8, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #26 of 31
Dudeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I had the same problem with my dt880,
and I did the exact thing you told, and it totally fixed it, you are jesussssss..btw the link you attached does not work, I just used this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVu99mgBtok

Apr 29, 2015 at 6:50 AM Post #27 of 31
Damn impressive how much rattling a single 2cm long person who made it's way in can create.

2mm more and he would have been in completely through the silvery thin layer beneath the black felt. Removing that would have gotten... messy. 
Maybe that happened to people who can't see any hair under the felt yet still hear rattling.

Using Audacity's frequency generator at 80Hz during the operation helps a lot to make sure whether you've found the cause or not.
Just be careful with the volume.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your solutions. Helped me fix a rather simple yet annoying problem w/o spending money on a new driver.

Dec 6, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #28 of 31
Probably one of the more hilarious DIY repair suggestions I've read. Honestly thought it was a troll at first. Thanks to the OP for the suggestion. Cleared up my DT880 rattle in just a few taps. Much appreciated!

Cheers.

Mar 9, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #29 of 31
  Pull it free. Just do it. I've had to pull 'stuck' hairs many times with no ill effects.

I recently had a hair stuck to the driver. When I pulled it off the diaphragm pulled outwards with it (so it became a dome outwards, instead of inwards if that makes sense) I carefully pushed it back against the magnet. Did I break anything here? Do you know if it is glued, or fixed against the magnet, or free to pull outwards?
Any help appreciated. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back