Solid versus Stranded Silver Plated Copper Wire?
Feb 24, 2009 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

HiFi1972

100+ Head-Fier
I did a search and didn't find anything on this. What are the advantages/disadvantages for using solid wire versus stranded? Is one type better for certain things over others?

Feb 24, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #2 of 10
The disadvantage of solid wire is that it will break if you bend it much.

Feb 24, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #3 of 10
Right, I can see that. How about signal flow? Is one solid wire better than a few strands? Also, I would imagine that there is no need to tin a solid SPC wire, am I right?

Feb 24, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 10
Real answer: A lot of math having to do with complex impedance that actually doesn't really apply to AF signals all that much.

Someone else will have to give you the wishful-thinking answer.

Feb 24, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #5 of 10
Putting a small amount of solder onto the end of a wire will only help, no matter what kind of wire.

Especially if you are recabling phones. Always tin the wire first.

Feb 24, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #7 of 10
Everyone else covered stuff. A summary:

Solid:
Very stiff, can break, carry more current, higher skin effect (not really applicable in audio frequencies)

Stranded:
Less stiff, less likely to break, carries less overall current for diameter, lower skin effect

Always tin wires, it makes it easier to heat the joint and connect the pieces together.

Bottom line: I prefer stranded just because it's more flexible and there's no real negatives, especially in audio.

Feb 24, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #8 of 10
Thanks for the comments. I'm thinking of building a cable with solid SPC wire for a switchbox I found, so flexibility won't be an issue for that purpose (sounds like that may be the best conductor for the signal coming from my source, but not for my headphone rewires).

Feb 25, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #10 of 10
There are definitely advantages to using solid core for internal wiring as FallenAngel said. For example the PPA v2 output wires should be high above the board (near case top if possible) and twisted together. Here solid core makes life much easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back