Solid State Vibration Isolation: Utter Tripe?
Mar 14, 2011 at 12:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

oddity

100+ Head-Fier
There is something that has been bothering me lately. Whenever I look at hi-fi magazines I always see solid-state electronics with vibration isolation devices underneath them.

Why on earth would you need vibration isolation for solid state? This makes sense for tube electronics, as tubes are subject to microphonics, and as such are actually affected by vibration. Solid-state electronics are not (with the exception of some types of capacitors, and then only slightly) microphonic at all.

Am I the only person who thinks that vibration isolation devices for solid-state electronics is utter crap? Can anyone conclusively prove that vibration isolation devices do anything worth while at all?    

Mar 14, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #2 of 17
i do kinda chuckle when i see all those amps on stilts
normal_smile .gif

Mar 14, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #3 of 17
A couple interesting points... 
Capacitors are often microphonic. 

MANY scientific instruments (without a tube in sight...) use vibration isolating techniques. 

On that note, Im not 100% sure that I agree with the whole vibration isolation first rule. It seems like another rule for people to follow so they dont have to think. On the other hand, you can make very effective vibration isolating feet for just a few dollars a component. 

Mar 14, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #4 of 17
Until I see some graphs or measurements done by someone competent with nice big legends, readable sensible scales and testing meaningful and fully explained parameters, better still some decent properly controlled DBT listening tests, I'd tend to regard this as unproven.

Numerous companies have attempted a bit of flim-flam with sighted listening tests  "now listen to this" , dodgy graphs, absurd levels of granularity and unexplained or even made-up parameters.

Life's too short...

Mar 14, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:
Until I see some graphs or measurements done by someone competent with nice big legends, readable sensible scales and testing meaningful and fully explained parameters, better still some decent properly controlled DBT listening tests, I'd tend to regard this as unproven.

No kidding. Further, while isolation under equipment might reduce vibrations coming through the floor, that does nothing to reduce vibrations from sound in the air which I'd expect to be much more significant. Not that solid state gear or wires are harmed by vibration in the first place. If that were true, airplanes would be falling from the sky daily.
blink.gif

--Ethan

Mar 14, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #6 of 17
I could understand why some scientific equipment needs to be isolated, but I am willing to bet that you could put a solid-state memory music player in a paint-shaker and it wouldn't mess up the sound (assuming the jacks were very secure). 

Mar 14, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #7 of 17

Quote:
MANY scientific instruments (without a tube in sight...) use vibration isolating techniques. 

I've used anti-vibration tables and seen them in dozens of biology, physiology and physics laboratories.  Without exception, they have been used to reduce mechanical vibrations for microscopic manipulation, optics and fine laser positioning.  For example, they are used under confocal microscopes to prevent any motion between the stage and the microscope that would move the sample around.  They are also used in physiology to keep pipettes from jiggling around while in a cell and allowing micron-level manipulation of electrodes.  I've also seen and used several $40,000 rigs used for amplifying, digitizing and accurately recording tiny analog electrical signals (sound familiar) in cells, which sat in a rack on the floor in a tall building with elevators, air conditioners and all kinds of heavy vibrating machinery and not on the anti-vibration table.  In no case was anti-vibration used to protect electronics or maintain their fidelity.

Mar 15, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #8 of 17
Whats with the hatred of tripe?  I like tripe :frowning2: 

Perhaps yall are forgetting to blanch it first? 

Apr 21, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #10 of 17
Apr 22, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #13 of 17
some on head-fi guy was trying to convince me that putting a cherry wood stand under the amp made power, signal (analog) and usb transmission better lol (no doubt all flowing through over$9000 cables) :D
Told him the same thing - measurements into the studio, or GT!O :D

I was going to say. yea maaan, it makes it sound smoother, and more woody and sweeeter like ripe cherry.

mmmm...

May 8, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #15 of 17
I've touched a power sander to gear (sans sandpaper) while playing and it didn't make a damed bit of difference. Well, the CD player didn't like it and I didn't bother with the turntable since I didn't feel like ruining a stylus.

Also, maple transmits vibrations, really, really well. My cousin's kitchen is entirely rock maple and I did all the finish work, sanding and applying the finish. My favorite part of woodwork, so I volunteered. Maple is so dense and rigid, a sander's vibes go right through. It's not as bad with softer woods which absorb more. If I had to choose a wood to absorb vibrations, I'd go with something like pine.

Also, tripe truly is delicious. If only the local Mexican places didn't serve menudo strictly on weekends....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back