Solid State or Tube? Rate these possible setups
Apr 7, 2009 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

JwangSDC

100+ Head-Fier
ok head-fi ladies and gents. I've finally decided to get a real desktop setup and I wanted some of your opinions. I'm deciding between a woo audio tube amp, and a lisa III. If you guys have any other suggestions in this price range, I'd be happy to hear them and the reasoning behind it. Pretty much have $3600 to spend and don't care about size, just want to get the best home sound possible. If anyone has had experience between the proton, brick, and cosecant I would love to hear your thoughts also.

Apr 7, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 5
The Woo Rig is awsome but the 702 should be replaced with the DT880, got got my first crack at a set of 880's last weekend and they are the go between headphones for people wanting to split the difference between the 650 and the 701/2. They lean on the warm side but have amazing clear highs and lots of detail, nothing rolled off here. They are superior to the 701/2 in every way. You may even consider the 600 Ohm version from Moon-Audio.

Apr 7, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 5
$3,600? Did you consider a Zana Deux? As much as I love the others, it's still the best headphone amp I've heard. It has been in my setup for about 15 months now, and it is still exciting to listen to. Add in the top-notch build quality as well as the innovative and unconventional circuit, and it is tough to beat. I prefer to build my own amps, but the Zana was different - and well made - enough to get me to buy. It is one of those amps that changes the character of what's plugged into it. I know there's a wait, but it was worth it. Be sure to read the threads and reviews for the Zana.

As for any balance left over you want to spend, I'd recommend a few more pairs of headphones. The Zana is magical with the RS-1, HD-650 and DT880. Any or all of those would change your perceptions of those headphones and give you months or years of enjoyment.

Apr 19, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #5 of 5
not sure if this is helpful, but, unless the design has changed, the wavelength brick doesn't do 24/96 over usb like their other dacs...

their new dac, the proton, does...& it also has a headphone out (although probably not as good as the zana's haha)...anyways, just thought i'd mention it...it's a helluva lot cheaper than the cosecant (which i'm sure is amazing)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back