Solid State or Tube Amps that Deliver Sickening Lows
Sep 2, 2011 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Physther

100+ Head-Fier
Quick Newbie Question - I LOVE the sound signature of the Headstage Arrow 3G and the bass associated with the 2nd/II level (I think I've read somewhere it's around a 12dB gain on the lows at the highest setting.

I was wondering if there were any solid state or tube amps with a similar increase in lows (or how I"d go about obtaining those kinds of lows on a DAC/AMP combo??

Thanks

Sep 2, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #2 of 13
"Sickening Lows"
L3000.gif

What do you mean? Just keep the amp, and use different headphones.

Sep 3, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #4 of 13
By sickening lows I want my brain to "almost" rattle. Closest thing I've gotten to it are audeze LCD-2 2nd rev. Along with my arrow 3G and DIY-mod... I guess what I'm looking for is the same amount of clarity but especially bass to put together a desktop unit. I think it's what you head-fiers call upgraditis.

Never thought to EQ an amp. Sounds kinda odd but in reading all the posts I felt as if I'd be desecrating an amp by doing so (in all honesty I guess I was looking Forman amp/dac combo to magically find the right signature to give me lows).

Any EQs In mind? $1-$300 is probably my budget.

Thanks!

Sep 3, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
By sickening lows I want my brain to "almost" rattle. Closest thing I've gotten to it are audeze LCD-2 2nd rev. Along with my arrow 3G and DIY-mod... I guess what I'm looking for is the same amount of clarity but especially bass to put together a desktop unit. I think it's what you head-fiers call upgraditis.

Never thought to EQ an amp. Sounds kinda odd but in reading all the posts I felt as if I'd be desecrating an amp by doing so (in all honesty I guess I was looking Forman amp/dac combo to magically find the right signature to give me lows).

Any EQs In mind? $1-$300 is probably my budget.

Thanks!

deadhorse.gif

Sep 3, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #6 of 13
[size=11pt]You can pick out good used [/size][size=10pt]stereo graphic equalizer [/size][size=11pt]on Ebay like BSR EQ-3000 STEREO GRAPHIC EQUALIZER SPECTRUM ANALYZER  for $50 and there are many others. On my computer I have WOW filter effect that I can use and other software that can do the same.   If the source you are using is like a MP3 player it may already have a bass boost function.  [/size]

Sep 3, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #7 of 13
Build a M^3 amp with the variable bass boost control. Or pick up an equalizer.

But you won't get deep bass from a headphone. You can get a lot of thick and distorted bass (which some people think is "good"), but the drivers are too small to produce the large wavelengths. It just doesn't happen with a 40mm-50mm driver.

If you want truly deep bass, you have to go with a large speaker driver in a proper enclosure. The room plays a part, too. And you have to have enough power to reproduce a big wavelength.

Sep 3, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
what is an M^3 amp?? Sorry - tried searching and couldn't find a hit.  Thanks for the suggestion

Its a DIY amp. Its great for experience and its a great little amp for your headphones.

Sep 3, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #11 of 13
I have to agree with the guys who suggested an Eq, thats the best way to tweak the sound coming from your headphones. 

Sep 4, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #12 of 13
Thank you all for your suggestions!!  That M^3 looks promising.  I'm in the midst of looking up reviews and what not to see how it sounds because if I DO happen to go with it I'd be going in blindly w/o testing it.  I don't trust myself either with the build - I joined the healthcare field and have no knowledge of electrics whatsoever (though I"m slowly learning) and I think I'd need more detailed instructions like those that come with bottelhead amps prior to building my M^3.  The EQ IS the quick fix, however..... hmmmmm

Sep 4, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #13 of 13
I always thought it was a relationship thing. The lows come from the song first and if your system is dialed in and you have headphones which can reproduce it plus an amp to drive the headphones right then a great bass system is just the natural outcome if it's in the song first. To try and EQ the bass tones if your system is set up right should cover the mids too much. If you just listen to heavy bass all day long you loose reference and the bass starts to sound less low with out the contrast of the mids and highs.

A great system should have natural great lows to satisfy the listener and tons if you have well recorded bass music. A better system set up right is going to have correct bass response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back