Solid state headphone amp suggestions around £500
Jun 20, 2018 at 9:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

michaelwheeldon

100+ Head-Fier
HI all
Just looking for suggestions for a solid state headphone amp around the £500 area when new, not sure what that is a dollars.
Looking for a used one
Already have a LA figaro tube amp so looking for something on a similar par .
Had a graham slee solo ultra linear but not that impressed hence sold on.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #2 of 7
HI all
Just looking for suggestions for a solid state headphone amp around the £500 area when new, not sure what that is a dollars.
Looking for a used one
Already have a LA figaro tube amp so looking for something on a similar par .
Had a graham slee solo ultra linear but not that impressed hence sold on.
Thanks.
I’m looking for the same thing! Sorry, I can’t offer my actual experience, but based on reviews I’ve read, the Arcam rHead and Rupert Neve Headphone Amplifier seem like good options. I have an rHead coming in the mail.

Jun 20, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #3 of 7
Very nice
Be good to hear you thoughts on it when it arrives .
Thinking about a lehmann black box linear, they're getting on abit but suppose that makes it a decent amp cheap.
Heard they are abit dark though, just wondering if anyone can confirm this myth.
Not heard of the Rupert neve amp, would that be something I could get in UK or is it a over the pond brand.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #4 of 7
Not quite your full budget, but check out the JDS Labs EL Amp, or the EL Amp / EL DAC stack if you need a DAC as well.

Jun 20, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #5 of 7
i would suggest that you wait for the Monoprice Liquid Platinum Headphone Amplifier by Alex Cavalli , a lot of expectation for that amp at its price.

Jun 20, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #6 of 7
Try to get a Dynalo, used if need be. You can check here, Audiogon, and Mjolnir-Audio (currently there is a used one here that fits within your budget I believe!). It is really the best option for the price. Most other solid state headphone amps in that price range are just Class AB devices with poor PSU designs and run very hot to the point where component life will likely be noticeably shortened. The Dynalo is pure class A, measures far more linearly with far less distortion and much better build quality than 99% of headphone amps. Seriously, look up Cavalli on head-case forums for example, watch those guys open up those amps and expose how poorly built they are. Research for the win! You're going to want a Dynalo that does NOT use a wall wart for power.

If you can't find a decent Dynalo, then perhaps look for an AMB M3 on the used market. And if you can't find that, then I think the next thing I'd suggest is something from JDS Labs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back