Solid State Gear - Leave On?
Mar 19, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaw007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On it seasons the electrical parts.

Does this mean anything?

Mar 19, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #19 of 35
Now, can someone qualify the "on" part? And I am not using Bill Clinton "define IS" logic here. My CDP and integrated amp have a big fat on/off button, and then the on/off on the remote. Using that remote button with the hard switch on leaves them in sort of a stand-by mode. That's how I keep them when I don't listen to them. Does that make them on or off? They are cold to the touch in that state (the amp gets real hot when working). What parts of the circuit are still on in that state? Surely the transformer is not on, with it being cold like that. So, can someone tell me which side of the argument I am on?
confused.gif

Mar 19, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #21 of 35
It is said that the power surges from turning on and off would age electronic parts more than simply running them full-time. I leave all my audio gear on 24/7 (except anything with constantly-running motors, or big class A amps), and some have been running this way for some 20 years. No sign of wearing out...

Mar 19, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is said that the power surges from turning on and off would age electronic parts more than simply running them full-time. I leave all my audio gear on 24/7 (except anything with constantly-running motors, or big class A amps), and some have been running this way for some 20 years. No sign of wearing out...

Ti, you don't look old enough to have gear running for 20 years strait!
wink.gif
Thank you for your contribution to the community!

Mar 20, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #23 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is said that the power surges from turning on and off would age electronic parts more than simply running them full-time.

I'm of this mindset. I try to leave my Glite on as much as possible. Unfortunately, I sleep where my music lives and LEDs keep me awake.

Mar 20, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #24 of 35
We have also tubes that are good after 50 years of being made. And they wear out also.
Good caps last a lot of time, that is true, but even the best will not survive more than maybe 15-20 years in good to optimal shape, they may work, but it is better to replace them specially the PSU electrolitics, as the failure is comming sooner or later...
All caps good or bad are rated by the manufacturers in hours, not in vane IMO, at least I hope they know what they are doing...They are not eternal...Some of them as I said before last a lot less than a good tube...

Both scenarios are bad, but to turn them once a day IMO, is better than wasting 16-20 hours of useful life a day...

Mar 20, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #26 of 35
Does 'on' include stand-by mode?

Anyway, I voted 'on'.

Mar 20, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #27 of 35
It is the thermal stress of heating and cooling that ages ss, not the on time, but I still turn 'em all off.

Apr 9, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #28 of 35
The thermal stress of on/off cycles ages some components while total time powered up ages others, so it is a crapshoot deciding which will provide longer life. I turn mine off primarily for safety reasons. Quite frankly, I could care less about my carbon footprint.

Apr 9, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #29 of 35
my apache is on 24/7.

has been since the day i received it. there isn't even an on/off switch on the unit. it is built to be on and always ready for listening.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back