Solid State Gear - Leave On?
Mar 19, 2008 at 5:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

zillac

100+ Head-Fier
I'm curious how many of you leave your solid state gears on 7/24
and reasons please.
confused.gif

Mar 19, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #4 of 35
All parts degrade with time and use, specially capacitors which are rated in hours of use, some caps last a lot less than a good tube, my suggestion turn everything off while not in use, first for safety, second to preserve useful life...

Let's say for 10,000 hours life rating, leaving it 24/7 on a device will render you three times less life time that if you use it 8 hours everyday, so do your math...

Also in Europe they have regulations to turn off the equipment while not in use, and the placement of switches should be before the trnasfomer, so there is nothing on, while you cut the power...

Mar 19, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #5 of 35
I vote yes because:
- I recall that the Corda Opera's manual says
that it's OK to leave the unit on if the amp is
used often.
- It's also advised by Wadia in the manual (it was CD
player not an amp though)
- I have not personally experienced any problems
when I do it
- Most headphone amps I had don't consume much electricity

I voted yes, but:
- I connect my amp to a PS Audio Power Plant which is supposed to provide "perfect steady voltage regardless of input conditions."
- Surge/spike could kill your components and if you leave it on all
the time without protection the risk increases
- My Singlepower MPX3 consumes 50W so I usually turn it off when I'm not home

Mar 19, 2008 at 10:52 AM Post #9 of 35
Presonus Central Station, on whenever I'm at this place of residence. (no power switch). I flip the power strip to off when go away for a day or two.

Gilmore lite- Off when I don't foresee using it anytime soon.

Mar 19, 2008 at 11:27 AM Post #10 of 35
Off because I try to minimize my carbon footprint.

The craziest thing about my GS-1 is that the on/off switch is on the back and the gain switch is on the front.

Mar 19, 2008 at 12:03 PM Post #11 of 35
Voted yes. Naim recommends having their gear on all the time for best sonic performance. The switches are on the back... I turn my gear off if I'm planning to be away more than a day or two though.

Environmental thoughts have started to invade my brain though and I have started to turn some equipment off, such as PS3 and projector when not in use.

Oh, forgot, the Naim headamp doesn't even have an off-switch...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also in Europe they have regulations to turn off the equipment while not in use, and the placement of switches should be before the trnasfomer, so there is nothing on, while you cut the power...

Haven't heard of that one, maybe those regulations are not yet effective in Sweden.

Mar 19, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #12 of 35
I voted no, but to qualify, I speak solely about sound performance and amp lifespan - IME, with the units I've designed and built (bi-polar transistor based amps), I've found that leaving them on always doesn't improve sound any better than leaving the amp on for 5-10 minutes before listening to the unit. Granted, I've never implemented units with more than 5000 uF capacitance in a single cap, and I've deliberately avoided Black Gates (they tend to need re-"burn-in" if they've been left unused for too long). Larger caps like Xin's 22000 uF cap in the reference would need some more time to burn in, but that also depends on the load and power source. Wall wart PSUs work quickly compared to batteries.

Finally, unlike tubes which need time to warm up and reach their full capacity, SS like op-amps and transistors need very little time to reach their peaks.

Long story short - leaving a unit on all the time just wears your current limiters and diodes out faster w/o really improving SQ significantly.

Mar 19, 2008 at 1:09 PM Post #13 of 35
I leave it on Friday afternoon to Sunday night. During the week I turn it on as needed. No need to use that power while I'm at work.

Mar 19, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #14 of 35
No. Aside from energy consumption, I tend to be a worry wart. I don't like to leave electrical devices powered on when I'm not home unless they're supposed to be (e.g. refrigerator, clocks).

Mar 19, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #15 of 35
Off.
Can't justify the electric bill, and I tend to get my listening done over 1 or 2 large periods during a day, usually after I get home, and after dinner, so it doesn't make sense to leave it on all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back