Solid State for L3000?
Oct 1, 2006 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

digihead

500+ Head-Fier
I'm considering picking up a solid state headphone amp for my L3000s. I have two choices I'm considering....the GS-1 and the PS Audio GCHA. I've read some good things about both with the L3000's. From what I've experienced so far, amp and headphone synergy is very important. Anyone heard these combinations that can offer some guidance? Is there a good synergy? I'd like to keep the cost at $1,000 or less.

Oct 1, 2006 at 5:19 PM Post #2 of 20
In Korea, the Stello HP-100 is well touted as being superb with low impedance (Grado, Audio Technica) headphones. Specifiically, it is very good with the A900LTD, W5000, RS-1, K701, etc.

Just throwing that out there,
biggrin.gif

Oct 1, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #3 of 20
The best SS companion I had for L3000 was the Aural Audition, very good the PS Audio too. I think that even the Lhemann is very good.

Oct 1, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #4 of 20
I'm wondering the same thing right now.

My budget is significantly lower for an amp, but I have been wrestling with the idea of going with a maxxed PPA as a solid state solution. I don't know if anyone has insight onto how that would sound with the L3000?

The other direction I'm considering is going with a millet or a cheaper tube amp. The problem seems to be that there aren't a lot of good options in the $300 range for an amp that does well with lower impedence phones like the AT's or Grado's.

You'd think *one* of these chinese manufacturers would figure out that they could really grab onto a niche market if they were to specifically design a tube amp for the low impedence market in that price range. Something like the Darkvoice specifically for low impedence phones.

Oct 1, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #6 of 20
You could always try the AT-HA5000 that is made for the AT type headphone and the W5000 in particular. Internally, it is almost identical to the AT-HA2002 that was made for the ATH-W2002. Can be purchased at PriceJapan for approx. 1000.

Oct 1, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by roy_jones
I'm wondering the same thing right now.

My budget is significantly lower for an amp, but I have been wrestling with the idea of going with a maxxed PPA as a solid state solution. I don't know if anyone has insight onto how that would sound with the L3000?

The other direction I'm considering is going with a millet or a cheaper tube amp. The problem seems to be that there aren't a lot of good options in the $300 range for an amp that does well with lower impedence phones like the AT's or Grado's.

You'd think *one* of these chinese manufacturers would figure out that they could really grab onto a niche market if they were to specifically design a tube amp for the low impedence market in that price range. Something like the Darkvoice specifically for low impedence phones.

PPA is not a good match with the AT's, a Millet would be your best bet...why don't you build one?

Oct 1, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam
In my experience the L3000's are at their best with tube amps.

Same here. If one is opposed to tubes because of a sonic signature, there are plenty of tube amps that are not "tubey." If one is worried about tubes, tube rolling etc. There are self-biasing amps, amps that use cheap tubes, easily sourced and are a dream to use.

Oct 1, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by juzmister
PPA is not a good match with the AT's, a Millet would be your best bet...why don't you build one?

I sencond this. PPA tends to be in the "dark" and "smooth" side of the sound and Millet is quite brighter, airier and colder. None of these are great amps for L3000 though.

Oct 2, 2006 at 7:41 AM Post #12 of 20
I'd seriously consider the (new) Graham Slee Solo. It did absolutely wonderfull with my JVC/ HP DX1000. Very controled and fast, but also still warm and full of body. Good control is needed espacially for the lower end, the Solo does that perfectly.
So does my my new NX-33. Very similar sounding (not the same, mind you) to the Solo, but also balanced.

Oct 2, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #13 of 20
Understood about people saying tubes are the best match for the L3000s. However, if you had to make a solid state choice at $1,000 what would it be...that is the question.

I emailed with Justin at Headamp. Looks like the GS-1 is sold out and he's waiting for new more casings to arrive. Would be a month to get one best case scenario.

At this point I'm strongly considering the Meier Audio Prehead MKII. TTVJ has them....

The concern I have about the GCHA is that I've read some people have had some reliability issues concerning channel imbalance, etc.

Any other info or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all the insight.

Oct 2, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #14 of 20
You may want to consider the EC-SS. I haven't heard it with the L3000 but for the price, it may be worth a try. I've heard with HP-2 and HD-650 and it was better than it's price.

Oct 2, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
You may want to consider the EC-SS. I haven't heard it with the L3000 but for the price, it may be worth a try. I've heard with HP-2 and HD-650 and it was better than it's price.

Thanks for the tip. My question is...can it do the Bass? I'm also a suckder for a killer midrang. How does it fare in this department?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back