Solid state amps
Jun 2, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #2 of 23
Absolutely!
All my solid-state headphone amps, receiver, and my main Parasound Halo JC-1 monoblock amps, sound quite a bit better after at least 30 minutes of warm-up time.

Jun 2, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #3 of 23
I don't know any audio equipment which don't benefit from warming up.
Regardless if its tube or transistor based...

Jun 3, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know any audio equipment which don't benefit from warming up.
Regardless if its tube or transistor based...

I get a lot more sound improvements from my tube amp compared to my solid state amp.

Is it because my solid state amp is much cheaper and therefore can´t improve much?

Or improve solid state amps less with warm up compared to tube amps?

Jun 3, 2007 at 7:19 AM Post #7 of 23
Nattydraddy. Tubes (I mean the tubes themselves) most probably benefit more from warm up than transistors.

Jun 3, 2007 at 7:30 AM Post #8 of 23
I'd agree that SS amps sound better after x number of minutes, but then the debate has to start as to exactly what quantity x represents.

IMHO, my SS RSA HR-2 stabilizes after no more than 5 minutes. It's entirely possible (probable even) that this number will change depending on the amp in question.

Jun 3, 2007 at 7:54 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by bowraboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My amp doesn't have an off switch, Talisman seem to think so.

Wait a minute, now that you mention it, neither does my Hr-2!

But I still stand by my 5 minute rule!

Jun 3, 2007 at 8:08 AM Post #11 of 23
it might also depend on the topology

the heed canamp has a class A output stage, whose temperature stabilises after about 30 minutes, as in it stops getting warmer whether or not that has an appreciable difference in SQ is hard to say, as 1. my canamp is not stock 2. i leave iton all the time

depends on the amp, i say trust your ears

Jun 3, 2007 at 11:52 AM Post #12 of 23
I don't think that the sound of any solid state amp I've owned has changed on warm up unless its been a class-A amp, in which case there's maybe a small change, certainly smaller than comparison with a tube amp. What I am wary to do though, it not tax any solid state amp in asking it for a large power draw until its warmed up.

Jun 3, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #13 of 23
Oh my God! 12 posts (13 with mine) and we are all in agreement. I say close this thread while we are ahead!
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 3, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #15 of 23
After going through a few of Burr-Brown's DAC specification sheets, I've found that the DACs themselves actually perform better at higher temperatures. There are graphs showing that as the temperature increases, the signal-to-noise ratio improves.
lambda.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back