Solid core silver wire.
Sep 25, 2007 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

gritzcolin

500+ Head-Fier
So i decided to get into diy cabling and found out the best first step to any diy project is knowing how to read. I bought 50 feet of 24g solid silver wire and 20 feet of solid 26g and low and behold they are sitting in the box because i hadn't read that they were not insulated. I have heard about cotton insulation but have no idea how it is done or if i can do it myself. So what do you guys suggest i do with all this wire.

Sep 25, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 13
Personally I think that the cotton insulation does not look very pleasing. If it is for external visible use, maybe buy another piece of wire that has the insulation on it, put one with insulation and one without in a piece of Tech-Flex. This can give it a real complete look.

Sep 27, 2007 at 9:06 AM Post #6 of 13
x2! I use alot of teflon wire and it is very heat resistant, with good audio characteristics, therefore teflon tubing rules.

Sep 27, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #7 of 13
Teflon should only be used on high voltage because it does nasty things to the line level signal, HF smearing is the worst but also a subtle haze that is lays over the music. It's more apparent in a high end system but as with many other things, once you know its there it drives you nuts.

Sep 27, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Teflon should only be used on high voltage because it does nasty things to the line level signal, HF smearing is the worst but also a subtle haze that is lays over the music. It's more apparent in a high end system but as with many other things, once you know its there it drives you nuts.

I have never heard anything like this before ever from any source. You're the first person I've ever seen say anything like this online.

Sep 27, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Teflon tubing = non-conductive, no? And yet it alters the electrical signal of the wire it's sheathing? Hmmm...

Sep 27, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by cgrums /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Teflon tubing = non-conductive, no? And yet it alters the electrical signal of the wire it's sheathing? Hmmm...

When it acts as a dielectric the electrons come into contact with it. Non-conductive just means that is has a high resistivity to voltage and teflon is about 1kV per mil. Even though air is non-conductive it has a voltage breakdown point and then it arcs. Teflon is still better then most insulators.

Oct 2, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #13 of 13
The dielectric is all about effecting how the magnetic field behaves around the conductor, and how the magnetic fields induce interference currents.. well, to minimize it all atleast. not to worry about leaking voltage and stuff.. I forgot my formulas, so I dont remember the directions
biggrin.gif
they'll smack me in my face soon as classes start again though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back