Soldering Iron?
Jan 17, 2007 at 4:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

hilikus

Head-Fier
I was wondering what soldering iron would be best to use if I am making ipod docks and ICs? I was thinking the WE-WM120 may suit me well because the ipod docks are small, but I was concerned if it is powerful enough.
http://www.action-electronics.com/weller.htm#Irons

Jan 17, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #2 of 45
hmm I would say get a higher rated one, it wont melt the solder very fast so you could potentially be heating things longer than they should (would be bad for electrical components, not so much wires). Especially if you will be solding things to silver or using silver solder. BTW, silver solder isnt really necessary, as it doesnt really make better sounding interconnects, its just a real pain in the ass to work with on most materials.

I have a radioshack crappy 30W and that thing doesnt heat well at all. And its a 30.

Jan 17, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #3 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by makasin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm I would say get a higher rated one, it wont melt the solder very fast so you could potentially be heating things longer than they should (would be bad for electrical components, not so much wires). Especially if you will be solding things to silver or using silver solder. BTW, silver solder isnt really necessary, as it doesnt really make better sounding interconnects, its just a real pain in the ass to work with on most materials.

I have a radioshack crappy 30W and that thing doesnt heat well at all. And its a 30.

Ok I may just do that. I assume radio shack has some thin tips that I can use to get to the small ipod dock pins

Jan 17, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #4 of 45
If you find yourself frustrated with cold solder joints then I would recommend getting a eutectic type solder which transitions from liquid directly to solid (no paste-like state) which is much easier to solder with.
I love Cardas Quad-eutectic type, but you don't have to spend that much if you don't want.
biggrin.gif

Jan 17, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #6 of 45
nice, that stuff looks tasty.

Jan 17, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #10 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by choomanchoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doode. Wal-Mart $11.94, Works Wonders
Welk is the name

I have one of those and I honesty cannot recommend anyone purchase this. It is not very good. I managed to make a PIMETA with one, but was very frustrated with the quality of the iron and the tips. Shortly after starting the project I started saving for a better iron. I now have a Hakko 936.

PS. if you or anyone wants the Welk they can have it for the cost of shipping.

Jan 18, 2007 at 7:15 AM Post #12 of 45
The weller WM-12 is the ONLY iron i would recommend for soldering the micro pins on an IPOD dock connector!

wewm120.jpg

It is only rated at 15 watts right? Well hmmm...show me waht chapter in my physics bok that directly relates watts to HEAT! That iron gets to 800 Watts my friend! Unless you are trying to solder with molten iron than i would have to say it gets plenty hot. You see how small that tip looks? It is even smaller in person! And all that heat is concentrated on that little tiny tip.

Plus if you are ever tempted to do and surface mount soldering than this iron is perfect for that. It is also useful for soldering any plugs or switches, as it concentrates the heat to a veru small area unlike an iron with a larger tip and wont melt the switch!

Oh and radio shack sells nothing even close to usable to solder the pins of that plug! The smallest tip they sell is roughly the width of about 3 of the pins! Good luck using that!

uthinbl.jpg

And that picture is about 3 times actual size!

Jan 18, 2007 at 7:27 AM Post #13 of 45
Thank you very much.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #15 of 45
I'd go for a Hakko 936. I bought a new one (I think the 907 medium handle : 936-12) and have not regretted it at all. Flip the switch and well within.. 30 seconds, you are ready to solder. That is really nice when I am doing a solder joint as I set things up. Comes with holder and sponge. The temperature setting is really nice to have. Wish I had this thing a lot sooner. Used to use a ratshak dual watt iron and compared to the Hakko, no contest.

Kester eutectic is also nice. I have been using that on the general electronics with no issues. I also have a Kester flux pen for some of those tougher, larger connections.

Nuttin like flux fumes in the morning!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back