Soldering Flux
Oct 27, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #31 of 40
I would just get whichever is cheaper...the liquid in a spray bottle or the radio shack paste flux and use either one with a small brush. I have used the radio shack flux with a brush before and it works well, but the liquid is a little easier. I still have the tub of paste flux, and I keep it next to my brass cleaning "sponge" where I dip the tip of the iron in the paste flux, then clean it in the brass. The liquid is a little easier to control how much flux is applied...just enough to wet the pads without a puddle.

Scott

Oct 27, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #32 of 40
Thanks guys. So I guess now I just need to decide, to flux or not to flux
wink.gif

Oct 27, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #35 of 40
Buy a new toothbrush while you are shopping so you have one to use when cleaning off the flux residue. For small boards, I use a small disposable tupperware to hold some alcohol, then I put an edge of the board into the alcohol and brush it with the toothbrush. I may change the edge in the alcohol so I can better reach some areas. I rinse the board off by pouring alcohol over it, then check for any residue left on the board after it dries. If there is more of the shiny flux residue, or some white residue, then repeat the above process until clean.
Oh, and some protective gloves will keep your hands from drying out (and getting chemical residue) from the alcohol.

Scott

Scott

Oct 27, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #36 of 40
I've always been a little wary of this advice, most toothbrushes sold (here in the UK at least) use nylon bristles. Wouldn't these tend to produce a static charge with the possible risk of damaging ESD sensitive components?

Oct 27, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #37 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Bob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always been a little wary of this advice, most toothbrushes sold (here in the UK at least) use nylon bristles. Wouldn't these tend to produce a static charge with the possible risk of damaging ESD sensitive components?

I have not had a problem so far (fairly new to this hobby with 7 builds), but I wouldn't use the brush dry, and there should be sufficient protection from static in the alcohol (which will probably have at least 10% water).

Scott

Oct 27, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #38 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by srserl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not had a problem so far (fairly new to this hobby with 7 builds), but I wouldn't use the brush dry, and there should be sufficient protection from static in the alcohol (which will probably have at least 10% water).

Scott

My understanding is that recommended alcohols for cleaning electronics will have way less water than that, Isopropyl for example is usually bought / used at 99+% pureness. I for one ordered 99.+% pure from the pharmacy, the lab delivered 100% pure (came with a sheet with the final analysis/result) above spec, I didn't complain!
tongue.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #39 of 40
That paste from Radio Shack is not bad stuff and gets the job done. Liquid can be a pain unless you get one of those long pin style bottles (can be had cheap). However generally, I prefer the paste style stuff anyway because it is a bit easier to control amounts as there is no flow. IMO, flux makes a big difference in soldering hard to solder parts like thick metal and very tiny connections.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back