Soldering discrete op-amp onto DIP8 socket
Dec 21, 2010 at 6:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

walsh

New Head-Fier
Hi there
I'm trying to solder an op-amp onto a DIP8 socket, and could use some advice. Each wire running from the op-amp is split into a number of tiny wires which makes it hard to fit in the holes of the socket, if that makes sense. It's extremely hard to get all them in the holes at the same time, hold them there and solder them. What's the best way to do this? Am I doing it the wrong way? I tried to just put the wire on top and drop a lump of solder there but one of them is buzzing so I guess I did it wrong, but the other one sounds fine.

Dec 21, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #3 of 12
Dec 21, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #4 of 12
Ok, maybe following cobaltmute's lead, I'll post something by Sijosae too.

http://www.headphoneamp.co.kr/ftp/sijosae/Gallery/Accesary/JungBuffer-1.jpg

Granted it's a discrete buffer and not an opamp.

But wow, opamp building calls for the tightest, most accurately matched components possible, right?

Dec 21, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
Quote:

His title says "discrete op-amp", so I would assume no.
What I would do is:
Buy a DIP-8 header. (Or if you can't find one, buy another socket).
Using helping hands to hold each item in place.
http://www.harborfreight.com/helping-hands-319.html

then, plug the header or the socket into the socket of the device.

Thanks, but I don't know if it would help. The problem is each wire is split into about 6 little wires and it's still going to be hard to put them all together and get them in the hole. Does it matter if I just place all the wires on top of the hole and solder? I mean, will it affect the sound if the electrical current has to pass through solder?

Dec 21, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #7 of 12
I am not entirely sure I have the right idea of what you are trying to do, but if you are trying to get stranded wire into a socket your best bet is probably to 'tin' the wire. The way I do this is to twist the strands together so they are in a nice tight bunch. I then lay the soldering iron down on the table and hold the twisted together strands on top of the iron. Melt a small amount of solder onto the strands and they should be held together without making them any larger. 

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
Ah okay, thanks i'll give that a try. I thought that would make it too large but I'll see!

It shouldn't matter if it's too large. You'll stick it in as much as you can, and then when you touch your iron to it, the solder will melt and the size will no longer be an issue.

And as bcg27 says, use as little as possible.

Dec 23, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #12 of 12
In the worst case you could solder an unused lead to the wire to insert into the socket, or just remove the socket entirely and solder the wires into the board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back