Soldering basics
Feb 25, 2006 at 9:26 AM Post #31 of 75
I see,
mine was a little under $30 I think. I dont remember the exact cost.
The WBT was around $60-$70.

Its alright though, the spools last me months. and the case on my cardas solder doubles as my "dont touch the solder directly" tool
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2006 at 9:50 AM Post #32 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
I see,
mine was a little under $30 I think. I dont remember the exact cost.
The WBT was around $60-$70.

Its alright though, the spools last me months. and the case on my cardas solder doubles as my "dont touch the solder directly" tool
biggrin.gif

it can't be that bad to touch the solder directly if you wash your hands... right??
frown.gif

Feb 25, 2006 at 10:03 AM Post #33 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
it can't be that bad to touch the solder directly if you wash your hands... right??
frown.gif

your skin's natural oils ruin bass and dynamics. it will sound flabby and lifeless.

Feb 25, 2006 at 10:05 AM Post #34 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by cire
your skin's natural oils ruin bass and dynamics. it will sound flabby and lifeless.

crap, don't tell me i need to resolder all the joints...

Feb 25, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #36 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by cire

eek.gif

I touch my plugs with my hands. That would mean that there is oil on those contacts, which means all my bass is flabby and lifeless ?!?
confused.gif

Feb 25, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #37 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
frown.gif

I try not to come directly into contact with eithe solder of flux. I keep it as minimal as possible and wash my hands after. I dont like the idea of holding solder directly with my hands then touching the other parts of the cables afterwards. Thats just me though. Solder is definately something you dont want to come into physical contact and then not thuroughly wash your hands.

on the cardas pic above in my post, you can see the old solder spool with indentations on the top, Thats usually where my thumb goes
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #39 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
In case you didn't get it, that was clearly a joke...

Cmon, touching molten flux is fun!!!
basshead.gif

Feb 25, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #40 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
In case you didn't get it, that was clearly a joke...

The question that I quoted was a joke?
For me it has to do with health issues. I was answering a genuine question with a genuine answer.
Unless the question I quoted in the reply was a joke, I thought it was serious. The internet is a difficult place to relay communication I suppose.

Cheers

Feb 25, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #41 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
The question that I quoted was a joke?
For me it has to do with health issues. I was answering a genuine question with a genuine answer.
Unless the question I quoted in the reply was a joke, I thought it was serious. The internet is a difficult place to relay communication I suppose.

Cheers

I think he ment that the comment about the oils from your skin will affect sound quality was a joke.

Feb 25, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #45 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
I did get a Radioshack-equivalent (in other words, Dick Smith Australia) silver solder, which composition goes something like 4% Silver, 0.5% Copper, 95.5% Tin. What do the better brand solders, in particular the oft-seen WBT, offer?

I did test some soldering on a headphone extension I'm making on one end. So far the solder looks shiny to me and the connection is mechanically strong. With this cheap solder I'm using, I find I can't simply heat up the surface and let the solder melt over the heated surface. I always have to let the solder come in contact with the iron tip itself to make it melt/flow. Is this a common practice to you as well?

I tin my iron tip before soldering, Radio shack solder flows evenly and has a low melt temperature, But the flux they use is extremely corrosive IMO. Ive found that its alright ot leave a blob on solder on the tip. Just dont leave it too long. I do that right before termination. People advise against it because its high potential for a dry joint. In which the solder is exposed to a heat too high for it to stay inert and the components in the solder start seperating. But I never leave it on the tip longer then a second or so. You can pretty much spot a dry joint by its discoloration and texture. A cold not will not be shiney and it will be convex. A dry joing just looks ugly.

I usually tug on the joint to ensure its a strength afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back