Soldering basics
Feb 28, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #61 of 75
Even though we don't have to be RoHS complient there is some impact. US Distributers are devoting inventory space to RoHS complient parts. Even FUSES! ugh. PC boards from Europe might be tinned with lead free solder. Some manufacturers may make only complient parts to simplify inventory.

What are they doing about the large lead users like car batteries, wheel weights...

Mar 1, 2006 at 7:42 AM Post #62 of 75
There's also that impact of getting stuck with lead-free products that may fail after growing tin wiskers.

Mar 1, 2006 at 8:18 AM Post #63 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by mono
There's noting to like about it, except for that obvious (but arguable) part of no lead getting back into the environment. There's nothing to look forward to.

no, im looking forward to it. THen, I can eat while soldering!! WIN!

Mar 1, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #64 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
no, im looking forward to it. THen, I can eat while soldering!! WIN!

No ones stopping you.
icon10.gif

Quote:

There's also that impact of getting stuck with lead-free products that may fail after growing tin wiskers.

Quoted for truth. Check these suckers out. http://dataweek.co.za/news.asp?pklNe...lCategoryID=49

http://www.aciusa.org/leadfree/leadf...di-11-5-04.htm

Looking forward to it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 1, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #69 of 75
Okay. I believe I screwed up my iron tip by wiping it with a wet sponge and not doing anything else. It's so well-rusted now after only about 5 uses.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've bought a new tip and a pack of steel wool (should scour better than a sponge). Is there a definite order to using them? Do I wipe the hot dirty tip on the wet sponge first, then wiping further on the steel wool?

Cheers!

Apr 1, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #70 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
Okay. I believe I screwed up my iron tip by wiping it with a wet sponge and not doing anything else. It's so well-rusted now after only about 5 uses.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've bought a new tip and a pack of steel wool (should scour better than a sponge). Is there a definite order to using them? Do I wipe the hot dirty tip on the wet sponge first, then wiping further on the steel wool?

Cheers!

i do the same thing like forever. wet sponge and solder paste over and over again but never rusting any tips to any irons that i have.
either it's lucky me, or you're using some cheap tips.

Apr 1, 2006 at 7:58 AM Post #71 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
RnB180 where did you buy that Cardas solder? I bought the same Cardas solder 100 gram package from parts connexion but I got this:

IMG_1012.jpg

I ordered 2oz. of Quad-eutectic solder from DIYCable.com and I received it in a package like this:
cardas.jpg

It's in a sealed plastic bag.
Can anyone confirm that this is truly quad-eutectic, and has anyone that ordered it from DIYCable.com got the same package?

Apr 2, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #73 of 75
My quarter pound of Cardas solder from Michael Percy Audio came in plastic bag. My 10ft wonder solder from Part Connexion came in plastic bag too. Used both and they are different from the std solder. Cardas solder has nice shiny finish with less flux and smoke. very easy to work with. Wonder solder has the shiniest finish with bit more flux. I think Cardas and Wonder Solder only sell in 1 pound spool. MP and PC has to split them to smaller quantity so that small time hobbyist can buy them.

BTW, what is wrong with handle by hand? Didn't you handle your cap and resistor lead with hand?

Have fun,
Sam

Apr 2, 2006 at 11:18 PM Post #74 of 75
I thought the Cardas eutectic solder was extra-fluxy? Cardas solder also comes in "official" 100 gram spools.

Apr 2, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #75 of 75
Kester's 44 is extra "fluxy". I've got some heavy duty flux cleaner coming to get that crap off my ppa. I talked to PARTS CONNEXION and this is what they had to say about the cardas coming on the cardboard.

Quote:

We unwind a pound into 100 grams and it is on cardboard, otherwise we would have to charge a ridiculously higher price for the 100 gram roll as Cardas only gives us a break when we order the 1 pound roll.

I'll end up buying a pound or 2 after I try it. Parts Connexion has a good price on the 1lb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back