Soldering advice needed
Jun 29, 2012 at 1:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Photogeo180

New Head-Fier
[size=medium]I need to shorten the long standard cable of my HD650 and a friend who’s in DIY agreed to do that for me. However, he is not in hi-fi cables and we kindly ask for the advice of DIYers from Head-Fi. [/size]

[size=medium]-Which 1/4” Neutrik plug to use? (B&H has 3 differnet Neutrik...)[/size]
[size=medium]-Soldering iron or gun?[/size]
[size=medium]-Is there any specific kind of solder (chemical substance and/or brand) that you would suggest?[/size]
[size=medium]-Any specific point needing extra attention?[/size]

[size=medium]Thank you very much for your help![/size]

Jun 29, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #2 of 7
Anyone here have experience using the Metcal MX-5020 soldering station, with the Ultra Fine Hand Piece, i really like how small that hand piece is, a little larger then a pen. Thinking of replacing my ERSA I-CON2, as it's playing up.

Jun 29, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #3 of 7
  • I recommend you invest in a good soldering iron from a decent brand. Weller and Hakko are good. I got a Weller WLC100 for <$50 and it's served me well so far. You could get a cheapie from Radioshack but you'll end up having problems in the long run and throwing it away.
  • Get a roll of 60/40 solder. You do NOT want acid core solder. You might want to get some solder wick as well.

Search for a few tutorials and practice a few dummy joints before you dive in. Soldering is easy once you get the hang of it. Check out these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Sb21qbpEQ

He's mainly working on PCBs, but it's the same concept. Basically, you place the iron on the joint/pad to heat it, and then you apply the solder to the joint.

Jun 29, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #4 of 7
Here are three URLs that I've gleaned significant amount of information from:

A LOT of info here. If you wanted to read only one page, this would be it:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/remotes-cables-accessories-tweaks/13000-how-solder-illustrated-diy-guide-making-your-own-cables.html

Good step-by-step with photos:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts/120334-how-make-mini-rca-interconnect-your-amp.html

Covers lots of types of connections, but I've read some claims that the soldering done is pretty poor:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/50729/how-to-make-an-interconnect-step-by-step-with-pics

----

As for your specific questions about which 1/4" plug to get -- it will likely depend on how thick the diameter of the cable going into it is going to be. I don't know the diameter of the HD-650 cable, so I can't say. If in doubt, get the plug with the largest entry. You can always use shrinkwrap to build up or cover the cord entry.

I use 63/37 leaded solder. I don't have more specifics right now, because it's at home. I got it from local Fry's, in their electrical components section, next to the soldering irons.

From everything I've read, you do not want to use a soldering gun for this type of work. You need a solder iron with a small screwdriver tip. I have the Hakko 888 soldering station and have used the Weller WE51.

----

Lastly, I don't know your friend and his level of DIY skill. I got into soldering amps and more recently cables 7 months ago. I did a lot of practice before trying my first amp. And did a good amount of practice before doing my first cable. I would not say it's hard, but I wouldn't say it's easy either. And most importantly, I would seriously suggest NOT doing his/your first DIY job on your HD650s. Practice on cheaper things first!

Good luck!

One more note: I guess you will need a multimeter to be able to tell LEFT from RIGHT.

Jun 30, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
63/37 (eutectic) solder is good. You want ROSIN-CORED (intended for electronics). Multicore is a well-known brand name.

w

Fixed

Jun 30, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #7 of 7
Thank you so much guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back