Solder alloy, 2% silver or not?
Aug 25, 2010 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

barsk

New Head-Fier
Well, I have been searching the forums for an answer to the question on which solder to buy for my next project.
The general consensus seems to agree that leaded solder is way better than lead free. Lead free melts at higher temp, flows worse and is a major pain to work with. I've got some and can agree with that.

Eutectic alloys, i.e alloys that has no plastic phase and solidifies instantly is what everybody likes. That is 63% lead and 37% tin (Pb63/Sn37). It has a melting point of 183 degrees C. The problem is that it is so difficult to find in Sweden. I cannot find any of it that also has some good flux in it (i.e resin based at around 3%). The usual Pb60/Sn40 is readily available, but it isn't eutectic.

What IS easy to find though is Pb62/Sn36/Ag2, i.e 2% silver added. Now, this alloy is apparently used for soldering where the components leads has some silver in it to avoid problems of silver creeping out of the leads in to the joint. This alloy is also eutectic and has an even lower melting point of 179 degrees C. In fact the melting point is usually declaread as 179-189 so it may be a bit higher in some cases (why I am not sure). This alloy is apparently good to use for SMD components that often has silver in it.

Well, now to my question. As I cannot find a good source for Pb63/Sn37 solder, can I use the Pb62/Sn36/Ag2 as a replacement for all-round soldering? Will the 2% silver hurt in any case or will it be just as good as Pb63/Sn37 in all cases? This is a question that has not been answered anywhere as I can tell... The silver alloy is a tiny bit more expensive, but I can live with that.

When looking at brands, has anybody any knowledge of Stannol's HS10? Seems like a good solder, but they only carry Pb62/Sn36/Ag, not Pb63/Sn37...

Aug 25, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #3 of 8
Yes, you can use it for all cases, the silver does not hurt, just makes it
more expensive. As you mentioned, it is used mostly for SMD work.

Aug 26, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #4 of 8
You want silver in the solder when there is silver in the things being soldered.  The silver in the solder (even a small percentage) increases the degree to which the solder bonds to other silver-bearing components. 

Aug 26, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
Use eutectic when possible (the 62/36/2 sounds like it should be).

Yes, 62/36/2 is eutectic.
The whole question is due to the fact that I want eutectic solder, but cannot find a good 63/37 one. Stannol, a German manufacturer does not carry 63/37 in wire format at all (for wave soldering there is some). The only eutectic leaded alloy is 62/36/2. Isn't that strange? Or is it because 62/36/2 is as good as 63/37, not much more expensive,  and has the added benefit of being compatible with components with silver in them?

EDIT: I just found out that Kester 44 / Core 66 with 63/37 is in fact available from Mouser with delivery to Sweden. The price is a bit cheaper than the Stannol HS10 62/36/2 that was my alternative. Hmm. Which one is the best one to get?

Aug 26, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #6 of 8
You cant find normal eutectic solder in the EU because of ROHS. 

Solder that contains silver may be exempt, or leftover stock. Be happy you can find anything that has lead at all.

Aug 26, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #7 of 8
Yes, one of the reasons for this thread and trying to figure which one to get is that leaded solder may be banned soon. So I want to stock up on some good stuff... :wink:

I am not sure that the silver added versions being excempt from ROHS is true. Stannol has the usual 60/40 allow for sale, I think it is mostly the electronics industry in europe that needs to go lead free, not the hobbyists or retailers. As I said, leaded alloys are easy to find, just not the 63/37 blend...

Aug 28, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #8 of 8
Either lead containing solder is OK. I built an Elecraft K1 radio and they suggested not using siver additive solder--I think it is more difficult to work with, but don't remember for sure. Nonetheless I did use the silver with good results.

If you intend to continue DIY I suggest buying a bunch of the leaded solder.

F

Users who are viewing this thread

Back