SOHA II Builders Thread
Apr 12, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #1,276 of 1,694
I did a little sketch of what I have envisioned for a case while sitting on a bumpy flight into the windy city.

Attachment 28512

I am thinking that the case will be a lighter color wood such as a flamed maple and the corners / feet will be something dark like ebony. We will see if I can actually pull it off and still keep the costs relatively in check.

I'm thinking I will make the top and bottom out of aluminum plate. Somehow I have to work some ventilation in and I have a couple of interesting ideas for that but I'm quite sold yet.

Hopefully I can get this baby up and running soon, I'll start working the case in the mean time.

Apr 13, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #1,278 of 1,694
Apr 15, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #1,279 of 1,694
Hey Runeight,

I replaced the opamps and it looks like the left side is in better shape now. Here are the voltages of the top four pins as looking at the part from above
from left to right:

14.7V, 15.1V, 3.2V, 0V

and the bottom 4 pins (L-R from above)

14.7V, 0V, 0V, -15V

I checked the voltage drop across R10L and was able to dial in the current so I think we have this side back on track.

I also swapped out the opamp on the right side but i didn't get much change in the voltages and think I still have a problem.

-13.9V, -14V, -14.5V, 0V

and the bottom 4 pins

-13.9V, -13.5V, -13.5V, -15V

Any ideas of where to look next?

Apr 16, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #1,280 of 1,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure your heatsinks are isolated?

Sorry for the delay, checked the isolation of the heatsinks. The IC's seemed to be installed correctly with mica sheet and the nylon washers. However i am getting a reading of 0.5v on the heatsinks themselves. Still getting the crazy readings on the test points. the LED's still light fine. and am still getting an 18.6V reading on the screws on the yellow and black wires coming into the board from the T1.

Apr 16, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #1,281 of 1,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuna320 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for the delay, checked the isolation of the heatsinks. The IC's seemed to be installed correctly with mica sheet and the nylon washers. However i am getting a reading of 0.5v on the heatsinks themselves. Still getting the crazy readings on the test points. the LED's still light fine. and am still getting an 18.6V reading on the screws on the yellow and black wires coming into the board from the T1.

If you are reading 0.5V on the heatsinks they aren't isolated.

Apr 16, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #1,282 of 1,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are reading 0.5V on the heatsinks they aren't isolated.

thanks for the quick response. Is the problem the heatsinks isolation from the IC or from each other. Any suggestions on how to better isolate the heatsinks.

Apr 16, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #1,283 of 1,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuna320 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the quick response. Is the problem the heatsinks isolation from the IC or from each other. Any suggestions on how to better isolate the heatsinks.

Best practice: before soldering the IC attach the heatsink, then use your DMM to make sure it is isolated, if its not try different nylon washers, many aren't long enough. You have to check at a bare metal spot on the heatsink, many are coated and you can't get a reading.

Apr 19, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #1,284 of 1,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by runeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, you're right. Did you use the right transistors??? If so, then one or both Q1/Q2 are still bad.

You are getting the correct voltage on Pin 1.

Sorry about the delay -
The replacement parts got lost in the mail...
I replaced Q1 and Q2 on both side a second time around, taking all precautions to make sure they didn't get damaged in the process.

I am getting the same measurements, the difference now being that I get a 3.3v drop on one side. (0.2v on the other)

I also received a PM this morning - it seems that another head-fi'er is experiencing the same issue.

Apr 20, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #1,285 of 1,694
My SOHA II lives!
biggrin.gif

I accidentally shorted R6 and Q4, smoked the trimpot. Good thing I have a 500R one.

+/-18V LV supply, 90V B+, 7mA tail current, using BD137 output transistor.

Apr 20, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #1,286 of 1,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry about the delay -
The replacement parts got lost in the mail...
I replaced Q1 and Q2 on both side a second time around, taking all precautions to make sure they didn't get damaged in the process.

I am getting the same measurements, the difference now being that I get a 3.3v drop on one side. (0.2v on the other)

I also received a PM this morning - it seems that another head-fi'er is experiencing the same issue.

Well then, we'll have to be a bit more exhaustive in our debugging. I hate to ask, but if you would kindly measure with respect to ground:

1. All pins on both tubes.
2. All test points
3. All opamp pins

I will transfer these to a paper schematic and see if I can figure out what gives.

Apr 20, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #1,287 of 1,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesL /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The other head-fi'er it's me
frown.gif

I'm having the same problem as JamesL, and also replaced Q1 and Q2 and obtained the same results.

I was planning to spend a few hours debugging the amp over the weekend and see if I can solve this by myself.

Since I'm getting a voltage drop between TB+L and TP of only a few milivolts, I'm assuming (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that almost no current is getting through the tubes). So I believe that there must be something wrong with the CCS, but can't figure out what.

If I can find some time before the weekend I will try to document all my results exhaustively and post them here, hopefully we can work this out together
wink.gif

Thanks!!!!

Apr 20, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #1,288 of 1,694
It is really easy to have your probes slip and short R6 and Q4 on the left channel. Found out I fried the trimpot when there is no voltage across R6, and the fried trimpot measured in the megaohms.

Apr 20, 2010 at 4:53 PM Post #1,289 of 1,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eokboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is really easy to have your probes slip and short R6 and Q4 on the left channel. Found out I fried the trimpot when there is no voltage across R6, and the fried trimpot measured in the megaohms.

That's the first thing I'm going to check.

Many thanks for the advice!!!
smile.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #1,290 of 1,694
Hi all. I'm trying to source parts for a SOHAII and everyone seems to be out of the MC7815 and MC7915 regulators. Mouser, Newark, and Digikey are all out. Are you guys hording them? Any suggestions where to find some? Are there any alternative parts?

For example, could I use this instead of the 7815 and this for the 7915?

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back