SOHA II Builders Thread
Jan 23, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #1,171 of 1,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everyone, I got a simple questions for you guys, is the SOHA II that hard of a build for a beginner DIYer ? Should I start with something like a standalone 2-channel JISBOS to get some soldering/troubleshooting skills ?! ( I'm a student in electronics )

Anyone ?

Jan 23, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #1,172 of 1,694
MHO is that it is not a hard build at all. If you put everything in the right place and the tubes are good it will come up to working condition on the first power up.

Jan 27, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #1,175 of 1,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone ?

My 5 cents worth - the SOHA II isn't any more difficult a build than many other amps but does require extra care with heatsink insulation (as per regal's comments), as well as power up procedure (follow doco on the SOHA website very carefully).

Jan 29, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #1,176 of 1,694
Hi

I've nearly finished my first build, the SOHA II. I've been testing it for hours, and think it sounds great. One problem thogh. The fuse blows when I turn on the power. Now I'm running it with 630mA fuse instead of 500mA that came with the kit. Is this ok?

Some picktures:
4290470544_39d2684427.jpg

Nearly finished board in inner cabinet.
4300342063_462568b239.jpg

Which is going into the chassis like this
4309902186_f9a91f0b13.jpg

Almost finished, awaiting tube sockets for chassis-mounting and volume knob.

Jan 29, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #1,177 of 1,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjetinho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi

I've nearly finished my first build, the SOHA II. I've been testing it for hours, and think it sounds great. One problem thogh. The fuse blows when I turn on the power. Now I'm running it with 630mA fuse instead of 500mA that came with the kit. Is this ok?

Did you use bigger caps anywhere? If not make sure your heatsinks are insulated. It could be an indication of a small short. There have been reports of the ground plane extending too far into the PS rails on the PCB.

Jan 29, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #1,178 of 1,694
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you use bigger caps anywhere? If not make sure your heatsinks are insulated. It could be an indication of a small short. There have been reports of the ground plane extending too far into the PS rails on the PCB.

I've used Mundorf ZN 0,22 uF as C1L/R, but it's the same value.

What should the heatsinks be insulated from? Ground on pcb, or is it something on the regulators? I'm sorry, but I don't understand what the "rails" are.

Jan 29, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #1,179 of 1,694
Quote:

Which is going into the chassis like this
4309902186_f9a91f0b13.jpg

The design is beautiful. Well done!

Jan 30, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #1,181 of 1,694
Quote:

What should the heatsinks be insulated from? Ground on pcb, or is it something on the regulators? I'm sorry, but I don't understand what the "rails" are.

Where the heatsink is soldered to the board, make sure it is an open circuit with the DMM , also make sure that the ground trace is an open circuit to the regulator output.

Edit: better explaination on power rails: put your DMM pos lead on the TB+ the neg on grd and it should not beap as a short (less than 10 ohms), do the same with TL+. My first SOHA I board had a tiny trace of the ground plane connecting TL+ with the ground plain causing it to blow fuses.

Jan 30, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #1,183 of 1,694
Quote:

Thanks!

I didn't know that the heatsinks should be soldered to the board. Could this be the problem?

I will check the ground trace when I get the time come sunday evening.

They don't have to be but that is where you check that the tab is insulated (should be an open circuit between there and the TO-220 device tab.

Jan 30, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #1,184 of 1,694
I have a few quick questions that I could not find answers to by skimming the threads.

About how much are the parts for everything to build a SOHA II?

I would also like to add a DAC with UBS input to this amp. What plans do you suggest (I'd like to keep it all in one chassis).

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back