SOHA II and AKG K1000 ?
May 23, 2010 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

jmf

Head-Fier
I just won an auction on ebay for an AKG K-1000 headphone.

I currently use a SOHA II amp (with AKG-701).

Do you think that the SOHA II could power the K1000 (power, impedance...) ?

Regards ?

JMF

May 24, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #2 of 15
Sure looks like it can.
At least 'Ferrari' have reported good results with a SOHA II and K1000 combo.

Quote:
Ferrari said:

On a side note, I’m listening to my balanced SOHA II via AKG K1000 while typing this, it sounds damn good.
I can confirm that a well-constructed balanced SOHA II can drive AKG K1000 at a very loud level (the wife starts complain) without any sign of distortion or other shortage.
cool.gif

May 24, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #3 of 15
Hey, Good news !

I have a plain vanilla SOHA II (Glass Jar Audio Kit ; I use a pair of telefunken 12AU7).

I should have the K-1000 next week, will solder a cable to plug it in the SOHA II.

I do not know if it is easy to modify standard SOHA II to go to balanced, and found nothing on internet.

Regards,

JMF

May 24, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #5 of 15
To do Balanced with a SOHA II, you'll need to add a second one..  since you need 4 channels to drive the right + and - and the left + and -..  Just like all other balanced amps.

Quote:
I do not know if it is easy to modify standard SOHA II to go to balanced, and found nothing on internet.

Jun 2, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #7 of 15
Hi all,

The K-1000 is at home. An "old" one (serial 2478).

I quickly tried it with my 3 amps :
- tweaked Philips CD722  + Cyrus one : works
- tweaked Philips CD722  + Charlize2 : works better
- USB Monica + NOT balanced SOHAII : the best (but DAC is important difference), but volume pot is 3/4. Power could become an issue in this conf...

I'm happy. I will have to try USB Monica+Charlize2+K1000 but more difficult as amp and DAC are harwired.

Regards.

JM

Jun 5, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
Why then is the AKG1000 considered to require a big expensive amp?  Not arguing just curious,  is it low sensitivity?

Yes, very low sensitivity.  Some 20dB lower than other popular cans at a given power level.  This is why they work best with amps with lots of voltage swing capability.

Jun 5, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #13 of 15
Got it,  but I am afraid if one goes to too much higher gain tube there may be issues with the buffer since it only has +-15 V rails,  so its still probably the limiting factor?

Jun 5, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #14 of 15

Quote:

Yes, very low sensitivity.  Some 20dB lower than other popular cans at a given power level.  This is why they work best with amps with lots of voltage swing capability.

[size=x-small]That’s exactly the point when I decided to go balanced with my SOHA II for the AKG K1000. [/size]
[size=x-small]For the most popular headphones on the market, the benefits of twice the voltage swing and four times the total power (in balanced mode) may not be really necessary, but for the K1000... I would say yes.[/size]

Jun 22, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #15 of 15
Hi Guys,

I now use my AKG K-1000 for some weeks... I've had no time to do some extensive testing. They finally found their way to the SOHAII plug, plain vanilla SOHAII...

And it works not bad at all ! Sure you have to push the volume, but no distortion or other problem on what I listen too. More flesh with SOHAII than with a CharlizeII Tripath amp (I have to try Charlize with 8 R resistors in parallel to the headphone).

I'm happy (and think that the K701 will be sold) ! Balanced SOHAII must be even better, but simple one is quite OK.

Cheers.

JMF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back