Software EQ that works with iTunes
Jun 12, 2010 at 11:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mAurelius

New Head-Fier
I bought my first set of decent headphones but I'm using it primarily on a computer. I like iTunes mainly because it works with my iPhone and I have all my playlists set-up. I tried Foobar which I liked for the sound (does excellent EQ as well), but I'm quite used to iTunes so would like to stay with it.

Obviously the iTunes EQ is awful as has already been established. I'm wondering if there is an inexpensive (or freeware) software EQ that will work with iTunes? I know most software EQ's require Fubar or Winamp or something like that.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Jun 15, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #3 of 7
I don't know that there are software EQ for iTunes.  I know Amarra works with iTunes, but not sure about EQ functions.

An easier route, if you have PC, instead of MAC, is to run iTunes, and Foobar.  Foobar will read your iTunes library just fine, and play the music from it.  You can load an EQ module and go for it in Foobar, yet, still have your easy song management with iTunes.  Just reload the foobar folder when you change your music.

Jun 15, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
I don't know that there are software EQ for iTunes.  I know Amarra works with iTunes, but not sure about EQ functions.

An easier route, if you have PC, instead of MAC, is to run iTunes, and Foobar.  Foobar will read your iTunes library just fine, and play the music from it.  You can load an EQ module and go for it in Foobar, yet, still have your easy song management with iTunes.  Just reload the foobar folder when you change your music.

on a side note, do you happen to know anywhere that provides decent preset EQs for foobar? the last one I got here was pretty rubbish to say the very least lol.

Jun 16, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #5 of 7
I decided to bite the bullet and switch to foobar. I prefer iTunes' interface, but the difference in sound quality with Foobar's EQ (and ASIO enabled) is quite shocking. It really shows how awful iTunes' EQ really is. I was getting all sorts of bass distortion and issues before...all gone with Foobar.

So, I guess the moral of the story is while iTunes is pretty, it's worth giving up for the differences in sound quality. 

Jun 16, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #6 of 7
Use the Facets component for Foobar, it's really nifty. As the Folder monitoring in fb2k is awesome too, it track everything perfectly, including the external changes you've made to the folder.

Quote:
I decided to bite the bullet and switch to foobar. I prefer iTunes' interface, but the difference in sound quality with Foobar's EQ (and ASIO enabled) is quite shocking. It really shows how awful iTunes' EQ really is. I was getting all sorts of bass distortion and issues before...all gone with Foobar.

So, I guess the moral of the story is while iTunes is pretty, it's worth giving up for the differences in sound quality. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back