Soft Bed Linens (won't you help?)
Jan 16, 2007 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

asebastian0

100+ Head-Fier
Any sheet-o-philes out there? I have been long searching for the holy grail of bed linens and have consistently been disappointed! What I am looking for is an incredibly soft fabric which can be washed by normal means (not dry cleaned). A higher thread count seems to mean nothing.

I have but one pillowcase which fits my criteria. I pilfered it from my parents estate while on vacation and I have been unable to find its matching linens! I have tried everything but nothing compares. It is cool, thin, and soft - almost silken - but still being 100% cotton. It is made by Croscill but I have been unable to find anything even while visiting a Croscill store! The pillow in question has nearly invisible patterns of vines on it which by their color and the way in which light reflects (refracts?) off of it you might think it vaguely glow in the dark (although it does not).

So please nominate your softest most pleasant bed linens that you have or are aware of. Cost is not really a problem but it MUST be washable in a machine, NOT by hand or dry cleaning. Thanks!

Jan 16, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #2 of 14
I use what I call "t-shirt sheets". They are still cotton but are a lot less scratchy and generally softer feeling than regular sheets. Not sure if that's their actual name though. Also I got a set of sheets for my dorm mattress from my grandma, and they were the softest I'd ever used! Different than the t-shirt sheets.

I think they're called "jersey knit" sheets, anyways the really soft ones were from JC Penny's (I think) so maybe try there if you can.

Jan 16, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #3 of 14
I think bedlinen in general comes in thread counts.

If you buy 1,000 thread counts one, it should be soft enough for you (I hope).

I know I bought a el cheapo 150 thread count one (didn't realise the thread count when I bought it), it's so rough like a sand paper, hehe...

Just go to your department store and ask for 1000 one and feel the material yourself.

Jan 16, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #4 of 14
My wife asked me to post this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Febs
You need to look for a 100% cotton sheet that is at least 300 thread count - BUT - I would not spend a ton of money on sheets that have a very high thread count as these really tend to rip very easily and don't last very long. You are right about the fact that thread count is really not the only factor in the softness of the linens. If you want a really soft sheet it's best to buy either white or ivory as dyed sheets (even the same thread count) can be a rougher texture due to the dying process. Also, stay away from Egyptian Cotton because that's generally a crisper, heavily textured linen.

The way you wash your linens also contributes greatly to how soft they will become. I always wash ours in cold on gentle with plenty of fabric softener. I also try to line dry them as much as possible and when I can't they go in the dryer on gentle. Heat can make the elastic in your fitted sheets break down pretty quickly.

I have had great success purchasing our sheets from overstock.com. Look for at least 300 thread count and read the customer reviews. Their prices are great and if it's not exactly what you want their return policy is fantastic.

Jan 16, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #5 of 14
I think we have these:

http://www.lnt.com/product/index.jsp...entPage=family

But I remember the cotton being described as combed egyptian cotton. Dunno if these are the same exact ones we have, but super similar. They are soft as can be right out of the package and we love them. Every wash makes them even softer. They are woven thick enough for me to rarely need a blanket.

Jan 17, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #6 of 14
We have some 600 thread count sheets, and some 300s also. Very comfortable. We got "turned on" to them when we stayed at a friends house one weekend, and there were 800 thread count sheets on our bed. It was a revelation, to say the least.

For winter, though, flannel does it for us.

Jan 17, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #7 of 14
I have these awesome "Brushed cotton" sheets that are amazingly comfortable. I'm not sure who makes them but they're <i>much</i> softer than any other sheets I've ever had. Bought 'em at Linens and Things.

Jan 17, 2007 at 8:21 AM Post #8 of 14
I found some nice cotton 300 thread count sets at the local Bed, Bath and Beyond. They're very nice and comfortable. I do like the feel of the higher thread count sheets, but they're more than I'm willing to spend, especially when the 300 count sheets feel great. I also keep a set of flannels for when it's cold, like right now.

Jan 17, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #10 of 14
Check out sheets made from modal (beech). I have a set that is ridiculously soft and slightly silken, although I tend to only use them in warmer months. They can be machine washed and dried, but downsides are that they don't seem to be quite as colorfast as cotton and they have the potential to pill a little over time.

The ones I have are these, or at least similar to them: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...U=102743&RN=16

Jan 18, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #12 of 14
The ones from Costco have a good balance in softness, durability, looks and price.
I don't have all the specs because I'm not a good sheet-o-phile but after trying many brands those are the only ones I'll ever buy.

Jan 18, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elec /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out sheets made from modal (beech). I have a set that is ridiculously soft and slightly silken

X2. So smooth, just wonderful feeling. Use those 20% off coupons and they're not too expensive. I first experienced these while staying at a B&B. They were so popular with the guests, the hostess had little cards printed up ready when we asked about them.

Jan 18, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #14 of 14
Thanks everyone for the replies! Febs, thank the Mrs. for me as well, excellent and detailed information. I will be headed to BB&B tomorrow for auditioning of those Beech sheets and some other promising suspects as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back