SoFla Meet March 7, 2009?
Mar 7, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #92 of 101
Same here Gary,came down with the flu a couple days ago,or I would of been there.

Hey, whats up, no impressions yet. you guys are slipping.

Conclusion, just to much fun going on, you all enjoy

Mar 9, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #96 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by arrowmark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to Head-Fi !!! Did anybody warn you "Sorry about your wallet" yet?

Thanks for the welcome. I am actually from the dark side (2 channel audio) and have spent a king's ransom over the years. I can see this side is no different. There were some really nice setups at the meet. Tempting indeed.
Steel

Mar 11, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #97 of 101
... and a good time was had by all. Thanks for doing this Mike!

Some impressions that come to mind (or remain in what passes for my mind):

The star of the show was Mark Reid's new tube amp. Everybody was so blown away listening to it, nobody asked if it was OTL. It had one transformer on top of the chassis, so that seems likely. In any case, it sounded magnificent driving my 650s and K-701s. (and just about every other set of headphones we had at hand) Mark also brought a brand new, un-broken-in chain-braided cable that sounded very promising indeed. Great punch and drive, a very full sound. And on static display (nobody brought any speakers) was a chip amp that looked to be a thin wooden plinth with a couple heatsinks and a transformer on top. It appeared to float in midair on a set of cones. When Mark flipped it over, it revealed point to point wiring in channels routed in the wood plinth. Brilliant.

Gary's Aristaeus and HE90s made lovely sounds. And the Aristaeus is so drop dead gorgeous to look at.

Gene's Woo 6 SE continues to impress.

Mike's analog rig sounded effortless, and well, beyond reproach - about like you'd expect a high end turntable and an absolute top-shelf amp to sound, actually.

Vicki's SP Extreme and my 701s seemed very fond of each other. We'll have to keep an eye on them to make sure they don't elope.

I had never heard esw10s before. They were very involving on both Miguel's Xin and my little Tomahawk. Vicki says they can be driven straight out of an iPod, too. And they're pretty, what with the shiny wood caps and all. I never even knew I wanted small supra-aural cans before. Hmmm.

Apologies to those whose interesting gear I've left out....

-Carl

Mar 11, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #98 of 101
Carl,
truly a pleasure to meet you & thanks for your impressions of the amp and equipment, its been a W.I.P.
I think the glory moment for me was the opportunity to listen to just about every headphone at the meet (except alexis,s rs1,s im still kicking myself in the head for that one) with the different source components and hanging out with a truly passionate group of headfiers.
I have much to learn as far as headphones go given that i am a graduate of
2 channel U. Anyways i have been tweeking and tube rolling on the headphone amp and burning in the cable from the meet and it seems to be getting better & better....let me know when you want to listen to those OB,s
& single ended monobloks, they usually make for a good evenings entertainment....

Cheers
Mark

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #99 of 101
Hi Mark,

At the moment, I'm in self imposed exile with the World's Worst Cold. As soon as I can breathe again, I'll give a shout.

-Carl

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #100 of 101
Carl, Mark (<--- hey, that sounded kind of funny), the place to post your comments about the meet itself is now here: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f45/so...28/index3.html

Sort of the way it works is there is a meet announcement thread (this one) and then a follow up meet impressions thread (that one) such that those who were not interested in attending and may have ignored this thread can still see what happened and see pics of people, gear, pizza, girls with skull tats, and so forth. That's also the place where they can read about how well the HD800 compares to the PS-1000. Or they can instead read what music_man thinks, based on his mystical powers of hearing the non existent PS-1000.

Mar 16, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #101 of 101
Ooops. That does fit the the forum schema. I'll just cut/paste over to the impressions thread. Not that I said anything profound, but someday, somebody may be searching.....

-Carl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back