SoFla Fall Meet "The Storm Before the Jam" - 10/27/07
Oct 7, 2007 at 4:30 AM Post #376 of 678
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't know which is worse, NYC meet threads or South (east and west) Florida threads.

Awww, c'mon!!! It's not even close!!! I mean, no offense to New Yorkers, but most of the posts there are (in my best geeky voice), "I really liked the 12ax7 tubes in the Rocket Science MkII amp. It really brought out the recessed mids. Really."

Oct 7, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #377 of 678
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, Matt, for these insightful and valuable hints. We play The Dove when we putter around the house, and want some pleasant background noise. It's not exactly the kind of jazz that I had in mind. What I'm trying to avoid is the kind of blaring that's on a John Coltrane CD that I sometimes flip on, and then quickly flip off. Can you provide other suggestions?
tongue.gif

Haha, glad to be insightful and valuable
smily_headphones1.gif
. I knew what you meant, but please know that what I meant is that to me and a lot of people, Jazz is the definition of "off melody". I'll bring a couple records that I think you'll like. Did I burn you a Grant Green cd a long while back? If not I'll bring that for you, his Idle Moments defines melodic cool jazz for me, and yes it's one of my favorites. I managed to grab it on Vinyl off Acoustic Sounds, but it was listed as "limited availability" when I placed my order, and later that day taken down completely. The vinyl gods smiled on me that day.

Oct 7, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #378 of 678
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I was just being silly by applauding the silliness of this thread. What starts out as a meet thread can go anywhere when the Floridians and the Floridian wannabees get involved. Plus, it moves kind of fast for someone like myself who has entered his aging years.

Wayne, when you get over being 40-whatever-it-was you turned, you'll learn to embrace absurdity with an accompanying alacrity. You have undeniable talent, but need more practice. As your friends, we are here. Let us help you.

Mikeg, I have no vinyl, but do possess a large selection of jazz I think may please you. I'll bring some CDs, some of which I'm sure are also available as lps.

Oct 7, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #379 of 678
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mikeg, I have no vinyl, but do possess a large selection of jazz I think may please you.

No vinyl? That's Ok, your latex suit that you're always telling me about will do. Now tell me more about the last part of that sentence! I assume you're using the word jazz simply to provoke the imagination.

It was 45, thank you, and I'm over it, damit!

Oct 7, 2007 at 6:29 AM Post #380 of 678
Quote:

No vinyl? That's Ok, your latex suit that you're always telling me about will do. Now tell me more about the last part of that sentence! I assume you're using the word jazz simply to provoke the imagination.

As mentioned, you do have talent. Nice to see the reach here, though imagined latex conversations merely prove the point that your imagination requires no external provocation.

Oct 7, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #381 of 678
Damnit, Wayne! I have to be at work in the morning, and now I'm sitting around wondering what colors people make latex suits in, what styles are popular and why, where do them make them, what's the mark-up on them, are they mostly imports or do we have a healthy cottage industry here in the US, do latex suits come with matching footwear, and would you need to get the footwear color-matched like wedding shoes, who would do the dying, what samples would you have to send, and what if you were wearing latex at a wedding, and no one knew but you, etc.

Oct 7, 2007 at 1:07 PM Post #382 of 678
Quote:

(((Sigh))) I just can't keep up with you guys.

This thread is too layered in lunacy to even try to understand it, let alone participate in it in a meaningless way (and no, I didn't mean meaningful, that would actually be be easier, assuming, big assumption, that there was any meaning in it to begin with).

Guess I'll see everyone at the meet...

Wayne, what else do you have to do that is more important than keeping up with the layered lunacy that is a Florida Meet thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NightWoundsTime /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got mine in a gift pack last year with a couple bottles. It's the best glass ever, I use it for justabout anything, save my new standby Lagunitas Maximus. Anyway RE the gift packs maybe there aren't enough Christians in Lauderdale to bother shipping any that way? It's a thought
icon10.gif
. Oh yeah and you owe it to me not to remove that comment or ban me for it.

This thread is beyond moderation at this point so you are safe from me. I just picked up some Lagunita Maximus, not bad. I also grabbed a couple of bottles of a limited Frank Zappa release Lagunitas put out. I haven't tried one yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't know which is worse, NYC meet threads or South (east and west) Florida threads.

Are you kidding me? A NYC meet thread might be as good if you enjoy reading technical manuals in your spare time.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Let's see, just turned 45, buys an Atom, over it, I think not.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Damnit, Wayne! I have to be at work in the morning, and now I'm sitting around wondering what colors people make latex suits in, what styles are popular and why, where do them make them, what's the mark-up on them, are they mostly imports or do we have a healthy cottage industry here in the US, do latex suits come with matching footwear, and would you need to get the footwear color-matched like wedding shoes, who would do the dying, what samples would you have to send, and what if you were wearing latex at a wedding, and no one knew but you, etc.

Tampa was a toga party, is this one going to be a latex party? The thought of jp, Gene, Matt, Aaron, Ray and latex scares me and should scare the rest of you.

Oct 7, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #383 of 678
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tampa was a toga party, is this one going to be a latex party? The thought of jp, Gene, Matt, Aaron, Ray and latex scares me and should scare the rest of you.

Only one person has ever truly belonged in Latex...
britney.jpg

If any of you heathens edits any head over this picture I will be forced to retaliate.

Oct 7, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #384 of 678
Quote:

Only one person has ever truly belonged in Latex...
britney.jpg

If any of you heathens edits any head over this picture I will be forced to retaliate.

Now that is latex done right. I don't want to see my face on that pic, my body is much better.
wink.gif

Oct 7, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #385 of 678
Quote:

Are you kidding me? A NYC meet thread might be as good if you enjoy reading technical manuals in your spare time.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Hey...I do enjoy reading technical manuals in my spare time.

Manuals like "What Color Is your Parachute" and "Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex but Were Afraid to Ask".

...And Dr. Ruth ( who came back reincarnated as Dr. Phil) can be quite informative.

Quote:

Sigh!!! I remember when I was 45. Those were the good ole days!

Oct 7, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #386 of 678
I don't have a Grant Green CD, and I'd love to have the copy. Thanks. BTW, I've just finished listening to a 1985 Julio Iglesias vinyl record called "Libra", for which I paid 25 cents. The music is really nice, but the sound is outstanding. Without doing a direct comparison to SACD, I'd say that it's at least comparable. I'm really amazed by the sound quality of vinyl, even the sound of some records made thirty years ago. Seems that the only progress provided by CDs is convenience, but not really in sound quality. BTW, all of my listening is now through the JBL monitors, rather than headphones. I've still got about 100 vinyl records to go through, which I just bought for $25, from a music archive at our Sarasota library. As you can see, I've just become a really big spender. One more thing. I'm really beginning to wonder why I'm holding on to approx. $5K-worth of CDPs, when all that I'm now listening to are vinyl records.

Quote:

Haha, glad to be insightful and valuable
smily_headphones1.gif
. I knew what you meant, but please know that what I meant is that to me and a lot of people, Jazz is the definition of "off melody". I'll bring a couple records that I think you'll like. Did I burn you a Grant Green cd a long while back? If not I'll bring that for you, his Idle Moments defines melodic cool jazz for me, and yes it's one of my favorites. I managed to grab it on Vinyl off Acoustic Sounds, but it was listed as "limited availability" when I placed my order, and later that day taken down completely. The vinyl gods smiled on me that day.

Oct 7, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #387 of 678
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to hear some melodic jazz (rather than free-form/improvisational jazz), if you have such records. Thanks.

Like I said, most of my stuff is dance but I have the following on vinyl which may meet someones definition of "melodic jazz.":
Joe Jackson - Night and Day;
Dinah Washington - Back to the Blues and What a Diff'rence a Day Makes;
All three Linda Ronstadt albums with the Nelson Riddle Orchestra (really good stuff);
Mel Torme live;
Sara Vaughan -Vaughan with Voices and Golden Hits;
Frank Sinatra - Sinatra's Sinatra;
The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out;
Bryan Ferry - Bete Noire;
Donald Fagen - The Nightfly;
Manu Dibango - Makossa Man;
Supertramp - Breakfast in America;
Soul II Soul - Keep on Movin'; and
Suzanne Vega - Suzanne Vega.

I know calling all of the above "Jazz" is a stretch but unfortunately, I didn't get into Jazz until after I was regularly buying cds. I got plenty of "melodic jazz" on cd. Now, if anyone wanted to listen to disco or freestyle, we could be listening for days.
lambda.gif

Oct 8, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #388 of 678
Quote:

(((Sigh))) I just can't keep up with you guys.

This thread is too layered in lunacy to even try to understand it, let alone participate in it in a meaningless way (and no, I didn't mean meaningful, that would actually be be easier, assuming, big assumption, that there was any meaning in it to begin with).

Guess I'll see everyone at the meet...

That's what I'm saying! I forget to check this thread for a day (at most) and you guys add like 2 pages of stuff that no one should brag about, but you guys love to!

Quote:

Wow, that's an active imagination for ya!

Quote:

Wayne, what else do you have to do that is more important than keeping up with the layered lunacy that is a Florida Meet thread.

Hmm...It looks like I'm gonna have to re-prioritize my life then.

Oct 8, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #389 of 678
Quote:

Originally Posted by polvodediamante /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what I'm saying! I forget to check this thread for a day (at most) and you guys add like 2 pages of stuff that no one should brag about, but you guys love to!

This thread is actually slow as we've also been busy in the CanJam thread. I think the problem (not that there's a problem) is that we all share the same sense of humor that few people in our lives will tolerate for long. Meets are for two days only. Meet threads, however, can go on forever.

Quote:

Hmm...It looks like I'm gonna have to re-prioritize my life then.

Yep.

Oct 8, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #390 of 678
Quote:

This thread is actually slow as we've also been busy in the CanJam thread. I think the problem (not that there's a problem) is that we all share the same sense of humor that few people in our lives will tolerate for long. Meets are for two days only. Meet threads, however, can go on forever.

Yep.

heh, except I've barely been able to keep up with this one. I'm getting overloaded on you people between our various meet planning threads. Florida needs at least like a 6 month break between a meet and the planning thread, then we'd actually have a calm before the storm. It seems like it was about 2 days after the last big meet in Tampa that we took on the National and things went crazy again.

Ok that sounds like whining, which has no place in Florida. I'll man up and enjoy the insanity. Just, let's set like a year break on meets after the National
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back