Sock-Fi (premium side of socks)
Dec 17, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #16 of 24
I always get a kick out of the whole "tactical" thing. Are these people shopping for tactical goods really engaged in tactical activities, or is this more of a fantasy or wishful thinking? Personally (I appreciate those who defend my country, but) killing or being killed is low on my list, but to each his own. I also see humor in the notion of "tactical socks"
Hmm, I get why you might think that. It's like the "gaming" tag in equipment or something similar. Not to get too controversial with the answer, I'll stick to socks. Darn Tought take their tactical line as no joke, their tactical line goes through testing and some specific procedures which I can't remember from top of my head. I think that the two pairs which I own from Darn Tought are indeed from their Tactical line. Tactical line is different in terms of some qualities which other lines aren't as focused on. Of course they need to be well made, reinforced and I think are more elastic than the other lines. I knew all the advantages of the tactical line when I was making my choice, however now I forgot most of it. If I find the info I will post it here. But what is a fact and something which I have checked is that their tactical line is indeed different than other lines. If I am not mistaken their tactical line is actually used and made for military, firefighters etc. so that means that the sock needs to be comfortable, that it stays in place (i believe the tactical line has better "grip" and is kind of more snug so it never falls down), and needs to keep the ventilation in the foot. I own a OTC Extra cushion, which is... you could walk in Russia with these.. the cushion is CRAZY, they are super thick.. made for the coldest weather. I also own a Mid-Calf light cushion.

I appreciate your efforts here. Per Sturgeon's Law, 90% of everything is crap. That certainly includes socks, and it's helpful to get sound advice.

I'm a long time user of Thorlos, and lately Augusta Elite, but I've now got some Darn Tough (Tactical otc) on the way. I heard about them a long time ago, but had quite forgotten. :beerchug:
I am very happy to hear that you appreciate my post! I'll check out the two brands which you mentioned. I hope you enjoy your Tactical socks, did you re-discover Darn Tough or did my post help you with that and inspired you to order them hahaha?

Dec 17, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #17 of 24
There is certainly that aspect to consider.

What I noticed in the Darn Tough tactical line was primarily more subdued coloring, which suits my immediate requirement.

I'll just mention in passing that I have no military experience or aspirations, although I've worked alongside our services on many occasions, here and abroad.

I'm definitely not dissing on the military association, just an observation. There are also the people who wear high-performance mountaneering gear suitable for an assault on Everest for their subway commute, or who those who wear their workout clothes with no intention of hitting the gym.

Dec 17, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #18 of 24

What I noticed in the Darn Tough tactical line was primarily more subdued coloring, which suits my immediate requirement.

I'll just mention in passing that I have no military experience or aspirations, although I've worked alongside our services on many occasions, here and abroad.
I had a long convo, which I unfortunately don't have saved. If you kindly message them, they will explain why their Tactical line is different and what certificates it has etc. I remember that they have something which makes them the official supplier for the military, so that's why I said it's not a joke or a marketing move. They are actually different, when you are thinking of tactical (at least me personally) I think that you need a product which you can rely on, in this case a sock which doesn't roll down and doesn't itch, doesn't make your feet uncomfortable and sweaty etc.
Things like these are the main reason why I have so much respect for Darn Tough, they truly are a customer focused brand. Unlike many companies which just put out products, even good products, Darn Tough is focused on their customers and the use of their socks. I also believe that for the Tactical line they use US materials exclusively, maybe it's so it's respectable for the forces, I'm not sure. But overall I wanted to bring some light to them because they make amazing outdoor socks, their Tactical line is amazing, they also have a hunting line.

I'm definitely not dissing on the military association, just an observation. There are also the people who wear high-performance mountaneering gear suitable for an assault on Everest for their subway commute, or who those who wear their workout clothes with no intention of hitting the gym.
No worries, there was a hint of disrespect which I got from your message, and while you probably didn't mean any disrespect some people (not myself in particular) might find it offensive. I agree with you, I personally don't do any tactical activity, but found the extra reinforcement and more snug fit to be something which I want, I wanted to make sure that my socks stay up. And the Extra Cushion sock, as I already mentioned is just top of the line.. those sure will keep your feet warm ; )

Quick update- their tactical line is indeed designed for the military and marines, and Darn Tough is the official and number #1 supplier for the military. Just proves my point that they indeed are a true performance focused company.

Dec 17, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #19 of 24
Hmm, I get why you might think that. It's like the "gaming" tag in equipment or something similar. Not to get too controversial with the answer, I'll stick to socks. Darn Tought take their tactical line as no joke, their tactical line goes through testing and some specific procedures which I can't remember from top of my head. I think that the two pairs which I own from Darn Tought are indeed from their Tactical line. Tactical line is different in terms of some qualities which other lines aren't as focused on. Of course they need to be well made, reinforced and I think are more elastic than the other lines. I knew all the advantages of the tactical line when I was making my choice, however now I forgot most of it. If I find the info I will post it here. But what is a fact and something which I have checked is that their tactical line is indeed different than other lines. If I am not mistaken their tactical line is actually used and made for military, firefighters etc. so that means that the sock needs to be comfortable, that it stays in place (i believe the tactical line has better "grip" and is kind of more snug so it never falls down), and needs to keep the ventilation in the foot. I own a OTC Extra cushion, which is... you could walk in Russia with these.. the cushion is CRAZY, they are super thick.. made for the coldest weather. I also own a Mid-Calf light cushion.

I am very happy to hear that you appreciate my post! I'll check out the two brands which you mentioned. I hope you enjoy your Tactical socks, did you re-discover Darn Tough or did my post help you with that and inspired you to order them hahaha?

I came across Darn Tough some years ago when I was gearing up for travel in Nepal. IIRC, I stayed with Thorlo, which I'd used for many years, rather than risk an unknown, but your posts reminded me.

I got same day delivery on my Darn Tough Tacticals, and they're impressive, as you would expect for the premium price.

Perfect fit, soft touch but clearly made to last, and cushioned in all the right places, I expect they'll perform well under any use case I'm likely to encounter, in my Danners or my Chucks. :D

Dec 17, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #20 of 24

I guess I'll be getting some! It can be my little secret , but if someone tries to mug me I will say "I have to warn you that I have tactical socks on"

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #21 of 24
I guess I'll be getting some! It can be my little secret , but if someone tries to mug me I will say "I have to warn you that I have tactical socks on"
Great to hear that Funkie, make sure not to let anybody run up on you with your tactical socks :wink:

Great to hear that Funkie, make sure not to let anybody run up on you with your tactical socks :wink:

Apr 22, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #22 of 24
Anyone still passionate about socks?

I am still loving my Darn Tough's. Keeping me warm and cool :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back