socal meet impressions
Jun 22, 2004 at 7:22 PM Post #106 of 166
There was a Stax SRM-T1 present, and it was driving an SR-404 and Lambda (Signature or Pro - I don't recall). I also don't remember what tube was present in the T1, but I remember it sounding quite good; I regret not listening to it with the Omega II. It did sound wonderful when connected to Stuart's MMF9...so smooth with the SR-404...

Jun 22, 2004 at 9:12 PM Post #108 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
something that was odd at the meet was that people kept on calling me "8999" or something like that. the "ayt" part are my initials and I never thought that people would pronounce it other than pronouncing each letter. lol

I always thought it was a clever bit of word play. I knew your initials were ayt, but assumed that the 8999 held some sort of meaning for you. D'Oh, another illusion shattered!
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2004 at 10:08 PM Post #109 of 166
I think Wayne and I left a pair of Beyer DT880s at the meet, has anyone seen them? They most likely had the blue tape around the band, but might not have. Either way, I don't see them here, which means they were left at the meet.

Jun 22, 2004 at 10:12 PM Post #110 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
They most likely had the blue tape around the band....

one thing that I found out was blue painter's tape and the R10 headband do not mix at all.
frown.gif
hope wayne's R10 is doing fine.

Jun 22, 2004 at 10:34 PM Post #111 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
If solid state attributes mate better with your music choices, then the mpx3 with its more detailed solid state like sound and much better bass extension might be the tube amp for you.
cool.gif

So as you go up SinglePower's heirarchy, you get a little more detail and better bass extension, assuming similar tube complements? Or do I have to spend more on tubes to hear this difference?

This is for anyone with an opinion as I want to buy one of these
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2004 at 11:02 PM Post #112 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by utep10
So as you go up SinglePower's heirarchy, you get a little more detail and better bass extension, assuming similar tube complements? Or do I have to spend more on tubes to hear this difference?

This is for anyone with an opinion as I want to buy one of these
biggrin.gif

I think you have got it right. Assuming the tubes are the same you get a little more of everything as you go up the product line. I also think the Maestro because of the power supply may have a little different sound than the other amps.
You can alter the sound of any of the amps to a more tubey (full and rich) sound or a leaner sound depending which tubes you use though.

Jun 22, 2004 at 11:09 PM Post #113 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
I think Wayne and I left a pair of Beyer DT880s at the meet, has anyone seen them? They most likely had the blue tape around the band, but might not have. Either way, I don't see them here, which means they were left at the meet.

I was using them upstairs for a while, they were the only current DT880 there. The last I remember using them was around the time everyone got back from dinner. They definitely weren't anywhere to be seen when we left, I gave each room a twice-over.

Jun 22, 2004 at 11:19 PM Post #114 of 166
I had been trying out a current pair of dt880 before Doug showed up later in the afternoon, so there were at least two pair there. I don't think I ever actually saw the second pair, though the last time I saw the 880's before I left in the evening was around the smaller table between the kitchen and studio.

Jun 23, 2004 at 3:54 AM Post #115 of 166
I didn't much care for Accuphase but SIE's source blew me away, by far the best source at the meet. Thanks ID for EMU demo as it made a case for itself and I might buy a G5 tower over a powerbook just for that.
smily_headphones1.gif
Any of you with usb/firewire soundcard experience can tell me if it is comparable with EMU? Before the meet I figured my xcan v3 will be my last tube amp with all the hassles that come with it. Now I know better and tubes are worth it.

My first comparison was V6 and HD280 and 280 will be my next headphone. V6 was good and maybe better than 280 but it didn't seal out enough noise. Isn't that the primary reason people buy closed headphones? PS1 was my fave phone at the meet and it wasn't bass heavy at all IMO. That might be the case for pop/rock but it was just right for classical and jazz. Sony R10/CD3K sucked IMO. Hearing music as if I were on front row of the concert hall isn't for me. Beyer phone's small headband prevent me from enjoying them for more than few minutes so avoid them if you happen to have a big head. Vocals were overemphasized and it felt like vocal booster eq was on all the way. Stax didn't impress me at first on solid state amps but from SIE's tubes it almost sounded good as PS1.

Jun 23, 2004 at 4:02 AM Post #116 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by gort
I didn't much care for Accuphase but SIE's source blew me away, by far the best source at the meet.

were you listening to a SACD with the Accuphase, or redbook? I hear my player isn't too well with redbook, but the SACD performance is great. Quote:

Stax didn't impress me at first on solid state amps but from SIE's tubes it almost sounded good as PS1.

are you talking about the tubes in SIE's denon 2900? since he didn't have a tube electrostat amp at the meet, and the Blue Hawaii was my player. just keeping the facts straight.

Jun 23, 2004 at 4:25 AM Post #118 of 166
Quote:

It was redbook. Was the denon at the right or left in front of the fireplace? Stax from the right side was the best electrostatic setup at the meet.

If you mean the tubed electrostatic on the right hand side, it was ayt999's Blue Hawaii.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back