socal meet impressions
Jun 25, 2004 at 1:03 AM Post #151 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
Alex, I am moving in with you yesterday

where are you then? there is ample space for another here. just don't tell the landlady, the contract only allows for two people and we cannot have another person living here.
smily_headphones1.gif

the R10's are great headphones... I just wish it had more bass. I like bass... yet to determine if I am a basshead though.

Jun 25, 2004 at 1:18 AM Post #152 of 166
While the R10 certainly has less low-end than the bass-crazy PS-1, it sounded very, very nice with the Singlepower Supra. Perhaps the R10 requires a tube-laden diet to produce the bass I heard at the meet? I find the R10 to be a more balanced, musical 'phone than the PS-1, and I love the PS-1.

Jun 25, 2004 at 1:28 AM Post #153 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by stuartr
And Joey and Mr. X (who does not want to be identified...and if he PM's me, I will take it down).

OK, I'll 'fess up, it's me. That is one of the less objectionable pictures I have seen of me, you're an artiste!
tongue.gif

Jun 25, 2004 at 1:55 AM Post #154 of 166
Quote:

Ok, some pictures:

Mikhail sporting the R10's:

mikhail.jpg

NeilPeart with his copyright infringement Elvis sneer.

sneer.jpg

Film is far easier to save even if the lighting and white balance is less than perfect. I retouched your images, hope you don't mind. They had the typical magenta hue from overcast lighting. (which is the best for B&W film, BTW.) Nicely composed shots, Stuart. Natural lighting is my favorite.

mikhailRetouched.jpg

sneerRetouched.jpg

You said something about getting a medium format camera? Those are even worse with the magenta shift, but the picture quality is fantastic. Expensive though.

-Ed

Jun 25, 2004 at 2:14 AM Post #155 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
I retouched your images, hope you don't mind.

Heh, that's an improvement although now I think NeilPeart seems to be contemplating a full-on headbutt!
tongue.gif

Jun 25, 2004 at 2:28 AM Post #156 of 166
It's a tough call, but I think the Jecklin Floats sounded better...
wink.gif

PICT0022.jpg

Jun 25, 2004 at 3:12 AM Post #157 of 166
Ed -- I don't mind at all. I just popped them out straight from the scanner... I never bother with filters etc. It is just too fumbly. I find that by the time that you get the right filter for the lighting situation, it is already too late and you have lost the picture. The is unless you are using it for a very specific purpose, like a polarizer to cut reflections or some of the colored filters for increased contrast in black and white scenes.
I don't think I would do exactly the same that you did. I think I prefer a smidge less yellow. Here's my second version. Let me know if it looks exactly the same. Also, the differences may just be in the ICC profiles of our monitors. I am on an Apple Cinema display...
mikhail2.jpg

Jun 25, 2004 at 4:27 AM Post #158 of 166
Neil, you camera hog!!
biggrin.gif
jk

Man, going by the pictures from the meet you'd think I'm Mister Smiley, and not Mr Doom, Gloom, and Despair as in real life...*@#)@#$)@$ girlfriends...

Jun 25, 2004 at 4:58 AM Post #159 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by nanahachi
Man, going by the pictures from the meet you'd think I'm Mister Smiley, and not Mr Doom, Gloom, and Despair as in real life...*@#)@#$)@$ girlfriends...

Oh yeah, looking through aty's pics, there is another picture of me concentrating while listening, just like at the last meet, and of course looking like I was pissed at something. So essentially I seem to having the opposite problem.
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2004 at 8:25 AM Post #160 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by nanahachi
Neil, you camera hog!!
biggrin.gif
jk

As I remember it, you were Mr Smiley, at least I usually saw you with a big smile. Neil's pictures are really weird though since I don't know if I've ever run into anyone more apt to be positive and enthusiastic (and smiling), and it sure doesn't show in these pics.
tongue.gif

Jun 25, 2004 at 8:28 AM Post #161 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
As I remember it, you were Mr Smiley, at least I usually saw you with a big smile. Neil's pictures are really weird though since I don't know if I've ever run into anyone more apt to be positive and enthusiastic (and smiling), and it sure doesn't show in these pics.
tongue.gif

Ditto here! Joey always had a smile on his face during the entire time I saw him at the meet. If he was going thru some turmoil it would seem to me that spending time with other people seems to either cure him, or at least put him into remission.

Jun 25, 2004 at 2:06 PM Post #162 of 166
I don't know but I think Neilpert has new look..... I think I'll call it MAGNUM
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2004 at 6:21 PM Post #164 of 166
Quote:

Ed -- I don't mind at all. I just popped them out straight from the scanner... I never bother with filters etc. It is just too fumbly. I find that by the time that you get the right filter for the lighting situation, it is already too late and you have lost the picture. The is unless you are using it for a very specific purpose, like a polarizer to cut reflections or some of the colored filters for increased contrast in black and white scenes.
I don't think I would do exactly the same that you did. I think I prefer a smidge less yellow. Here's my second version. Let me know if it looks exactly the same. Also, the differences may just be in the ICC profiles of our monitors. I am on an Apple Cinema display...

I checked it on my calibrated CRT set at work. (what colorimeter and software do you use, if at all?) Looks pretty close. Largest difference is the brightness and contrast. Yours is a bit darker than mine. Also yours has a slight green tint compared to mine. I tend to go a bit lighter with pics for printing, because photo printers tend to print a bit darker than what you see on the screen.

Of course, I'm just being critical......

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back