So you dont want me downloading music?
May 22, 2003 at 12:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

mclaren20

Headphoneus Supremus
Then dont make a flucking old CD $19. I lost my Master of Puppets CD and i wanted to rebuy it today. So i go to Best Buy and its freakin $19!

If you want me to buy a CD and not d/l it, make them affordable for an unemployed teenager.

I know the internet or a second hand CD store is cheaper, but we have no stores like that around, and no CC.

rolleyes.gif
frown.gif
confused.gif

May 22, 2003 at 1:42 PM Post #2 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by mclaren20
If you want me to buy a CD and not d/l it, make them affordable for an unemployed teenager.

So if you can't afford a car, steal one or demand that GM drop the price to $100? If you can't afford it, do without.

May 22, 2003 at 3:21 PM Post #4 of 54
$19 is a lot -- especially considering mclaren20's situation (he already paid the premium for the intellectual property, he just wanted to replace his copy). It would be nice if all popular music CDs were Super Savers ($12.99 or less) after, let's say, 5 years of release.

May 22, 2003 at 3:39 PM Post #5 of 54
I agree $19 is a lot. But obviously enough people are paying the asking fee. If they were not, the price would go down. I have always found music collecting expensive, but usually worth every penny, assuming you are selective. If CD's were $4, I still would not buy crap. I'd say that 99% of commercial products are overpriced. But many are worth buying.

May 22, 2003 at 3:44 PM Post #6 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by mclaren20
Then dont make a flucking old CD $19. I lost my Master of Puppets CD and i wanted to rebuy it today. So i go to Best Buy and its freakin $19!

I know the internet or a second hand CD store is cheaper, but we have no stores like that around, and no CC.

rolleyes.gif
frown.gif
confused.gif

here's a thought: check out your local libraries. you might be surprised at the selection of cds they have. I suppose copying cds from the library isn't much different than downloading, but it sure is nice hearing new stuff without having to wait around for crappy-sounding downloads that take forever.

-jar

May 22, 2003 at 4:20 PM Post #7 of 54
That 19$ is US or Canadian?

Anyway, yeah I agree. And here in montreal (Quebec, Canada) CD's are already WAY cheaper than in the states.

I'd say that the average price for a cd is about 16$CDN, ~ 11.50$US. An expensive CD is 20$CDN ~13$US, and a cheap cd, for example Coldplay parachutes, which was on special a few weeks ago, sold for 10$CDN ~ 6.50$US.

Also I had to rebuy Pink Floyd Animals (lost it), the price was 17$CDN used, so I bought it used for 11ish$CDN. It pretty expensive since its what, 30 years old?! But anyway, its way better than the stuff coming out today, so....

May 22, 2003 at 4:34 PM Post #8 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
So if you can't afford a car, steal one or demand that GM drop the price to $100? If you can't afford it, do without.

Believe me I do without alot of CD"s. but im not asking for Cd's to be $2 here, im asking for a more reasonable price. say 13, 14.

and that is $19 USD.

May 22, 2003 at 4:56 PM Post #9 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
I agree $19 is a lot. But obviously enough people are paying the asking fee. If they were not, the price would go down.

That's the problem with the music industry. The record companies have seen their sales fall dramatically in the last couple years, but they refuse to adjust prices to fall in line with the new demand. Well, sorry boys, but you're not going to sell many CDs that way.

I bought very little music before I signed up for one of the music clubs. I'll gladly buy dozens of CDs for $4-7 apiece, but I'll buy hardly any at $14-18. I think a lot of people are just like me in that respect. But as long as the record companies' business plans are based in the courts and not in economics, we're going to see these ridiculous prices and consequent low sales.

Someone needs to tell the RIAA that they can't continue with their monopolistic pricing when they're no longer the only source for the music they sell.

kerely

May 22, 2003 at 5:43 PM Post #10 of 54
Open your eyes!
Newly released CDs will cost cheaper just because they are mass produced and mass shipped.
GirgleMint's post about getting CDs in Canada for an average price of 16 is ******** (although with the exchange rate, our cds are still much cheaper). That is only for new cds. An older CD, like the Master of Puppets one, is probably not being regularly made so the CD stores which you love (or hate) have to specially order them from the manufacturers, making costs go up. Also, you have to factor in the profit that needs to be made from the record label, manufacturer/shipper, and record store.

As great as $5 CDs would be, it would make for unstable risky business.

And to finish my rant, mcclaren, UNEMPLOYED teenagers are not in the demographic of music companies, so get a job!

May 22, 2003 at 5:57 PM Post #11 of 54
Quote:

So you dont want me downloading music?

do whatever you want, just leave me out of it.

i'm happy to keep buying used cd's for us$7-10 from my neighborhood store and get free ones thrown in just because i know the clerks. just this week i picked up some ministry, autechre, and a police remaster, along with 1st seaon of twin peaks on dvd and the south park movie on dvd. once i got my discounts and free stuff i paid i think less than us$50 total.

May 22, 2003 at 7:27 PM Post #12 of 54
Actually the $14 you pay for new CD (not on sale) today at Best Buy is much cheaper adjusted for inflation than the $5-6 you paid for new records in the 1970's, also the price of new Cds is the same as it was 20 years ago when they first came out, so really they are much cheaper today inflation adjusted.

So please lets have some reality sink in when we hear all these complaints about "outrageous" prices for CDs, they are actually quite cheap now.

May 22, 2003 at 7:30 PM Post #13 of 54
Quote:

Ha ha ha ha. Good one!
tongue.gif

May 22, 2003 at 7:39 PM Post #14 of 54
Quote:

GirgleMirt's post about getting CDs in Canada for an average price of 16 is ******** (although with the exchange rate, our cds are still much cheaper). That is only for new cds.

uh no its not ********
rolleyes.gif
Of course you walk in futureshop, pick it up and buy it you might get shafted and pay 19.99$ for it. Thats why its called shopping, and you have dozens and dozens of cd stores.

Also, you'll often see big specials on older CD's. 9.99$, 12.99$, even 6.99 for the really crappy stuff.

Anyway, probably about 60% of my CD's are older stuff, and surely I didn't pay 20$ per cd
rolleyes.gif
. On average, its 14-17$ (Before tax of course).

for >20$ (22$, 24~25$) you get an import or very non mainstream/rare band CD.

May 22, 2003 at 7:55 PM Post #15 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Actually the $14 you pay for new CD (not on sale) today at Best Buy is much cheaper adjusted for inflation than the $5-6 you paid for new records in the 1970's, also the price of new Cds is the same as it was 20 years ago when they first came out, so really they are much cheaper today inflation adjusted.

So please lets have some reality sink in when we hear all these complaints about "outrageous" prices for CDs, they are actually quite cheap now.

this is probaly wrong on my part, but arent CD"s cheaper and faster to produce then viynl?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back