So with the death of my X10s, I look for a replacement...
Oct 19, 2010 at 6:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

LiteKirby

100+ Head-Fier
And I turn to head-fi.

I bought the X10s about two years ago, back when Klipsch had their half off sale, and enjoyed them quite a lot.  Pretty much the first pair of high-end headphones I ever owned, and quite easily some of my favorites.

Looking for a bit of variety, I ended up purchasing the Westone UM3X later on, and while at first I missed the deep extensive bass of the X10s, I loved the detail and instrument separation presented in them.  I ended up getting the UM56 custom tips for them as I liked them so much, but after a while, I once again wanted a bit of change.

Looking around, I decided to try the Klipsch Custom 3's, seeing as I found them for relatively cheap.  They sounded a bit to me like the UM3X with a bit less detail and a bit more bass, a mix of the two I suppose I could put it.  I enjoyed them for a long while, but they ended up dying on me.

In fact, all three pairs died on me eventually, maybe I'm just too rough with them...

Regardless, I'm looking for some suggestions as to what would be nice.  I'm not opposed to purchasing any of these again, I'd say the UM3X were probably my favorite of the 3, but they all had details that I liked.  I suppose the best would be the UM3X with maybe a bit more bass, or the X10s with more detail, or the C3s with more soundstage.

My budget's around $350, I don't have any issues buying used if I can find them somewhere, but it seems much easier to purchase them new online.  I figure anything I buy around this price range will be somewhat of a parallel upgrade, improving in some areas while sacrificing others.

If it helps, I mainly listen to Progressive Rock, ie Dream Theater, Symphony X, Rush, but also listen to a lot of Soundtracks (Final Fantasy etc) and a bit of harder rock (Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold).

My source is going to be a Cowon S9, generally unamped, though I may use a CMoY amp once in a while.  I'd prefer IEMs that I could use unamped as it's much easier for me to carry around and use, but if an amp makes them that much better I may be willing to consider them.

Oct 19, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #3 of 9
Agree, SM3. But the build quality does not really seem better than UM3X so I'm a bit scared...
From bassy phones, IE8 are built like a tank. However, they do not offer the same amount of detail as UM3X and may sound a bit warm for progressive rock (imo). The Shure SE535 are too, but they are far from being bassy (some consider them balanced, some bass shy).
What about extending your budget a little and going for customs like JH5pro?

Oct 19, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #4 of 9
If you don't need much isolation, the JVC/Victor FX700 would be an excellent choice. Otherwise I second the SM3 recommendation, but build quality might be an issue.

Oct 19, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #5 of 9
James, I know you don't like to compare BA iems with dynamic ones, but from the SM3 and the FX700, which one do you prefer? FX700 I suppose, as you seemed to prefer the IE8 over SM3. Am I right?
Sorry for the off topic.

Oct 19, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #6 of 9
^ I'm afraid I have no easy A>B answer to this question, but please read my listening notes in this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/503801/review-impressions-of-the-final-audio-design-fi-ba-ss-versus-the-sm3-fx700-and-e-q7

Alas, since then there were some new findings that may render this comparison almost obsolete:
- The discovery of the filter mod for the SM3 which is said to bring out the highs. Sadly I haven't heard filter modded SM3s.
- The discovery of wearing the FX700 with loose seal to get rid of their midbass emphasis, which makes them even more likable to my ears.

So, between the original SM3 and a loosely sealed FX700 I'd go for the JVCs without hesitation. But I'd love to A/B filter modded SM3s against the FX700 as I imagine that would be a much closer call.
smile_phones.gif

Oct 19, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #7 of 9
Bassy isn't something that I'd need, it's just something I'd like.  Like I said, my favorites of the three were the UM3X, and anything that sounds like that but 'better' would be amazing, but it doesn't necessarily have to outdo them bass wise. Basically, I'm not much of a bass head, I don't necessarily need lots of it or like lots of it, I can just appreciate if it's there, but I don't need it to be heavy to like it.

As for extending my budget and getting customs, $350 is the max I can extend it right now, I was hoping to be able to spend a bit less than that actually, but that'd be the absolute max I could spend, including shipping and everything.

I guess currently based on suggestions the Earsonic SM3 (I assume those are the ones you meant) are the current leaders, though they seem like they'd cost a slight bit more than my budget, unless I can buy them somewhere else other than their website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back