So why are so many headphones UNCOMFORTABLE????
Oct 16, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #46 of 60
  People's experiences vary SO greatly with regards to the comfort of headphones.  I felt I had to reply to this post just purely because of the fact that I can't understand all the complaints with comfort issues.  I really can't think of ANY real issues I've had with comfort of cans.  I'm not trying to rub it in, there's an interesting observation here.  It's become somewhat apparent to me that it's maybe those with bigger heads and/or ears that tend to have these issues.  I know this because I've realised over the years that I have a particualrly small head.  This is reflected by the fact that almost all of my fuill size cans look ridiculously big on my head!  I'll post pictures if you want!  Also, the NAD HP50 I find to be very snug and comfortable but I have it on nearly the largest setting, which for me is very unusual.

People regularly complain about Grados being uncomfortable and even painful?!  I have no idea what they mean at all!  Grados just sit so snugly and invisibly on the side of my head, light as a feather.  Same with the HD598, AKG K240 DF, DT990 PRO, HD540 etc etc.  In fact, I feel that if I move around too suddenly, my MA900s would literally fly off my head, so light is the clamping force!  So, is it a big head issue?  I've never had pain or discomfort to a degree to mention from ANY headphone and I have and have tried many.

I have a small head too!  We're lucky :p

Oct 16, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #47 of 60
People's experiences vary SO greatly with regards to the comfort of headphones.  I felt I had to reply to this post just purely because of the fact that I can't understand all the complaints with comfort issues.  I really can't think of ANY real issues I've had with comfort of cans.  I'm not trying to rub it in, there's an interesting observation here.  It's become somewhat apparent to me that it's maybe those with bigger heads and/or ears that tend to have these issues.  I know this because I've realised over the years that I have a particualrly small head.  This is reflected by the fact that almost all of my fuill size cans look ridiculously big on my head!  I'll post pictures if you want!  Also, the NAD HP50 I find to be very snug and comfortable but I have it on nearly the largest setting, which for me is very unusual.

People regularly complain about Grados being uncomfortable and even painful?!  I have no idea what they mean at all!  Grados just sit so snugly and invisibly on the side of my head, light as a feather.  Same with the HD598, AKG K240 DF, DT990 PRO, HD540 etc etc.  In fact, I feel that if I move around too suddenly, my MA900s would literally fly off my head, so light is the clamping force!  So, is it a big head issue?  I've never had pain or discomfort to a degree to mention from ANY headphone and I have and have tried many.

I have a pretty big head and agree with you on Grados being amazingly comfortable - my "endurance record" is still held with RS-1i at something like 13-14 hours. I honestly never got the complaints about their fit/comfort either. So I don't think its "a big head issue" or anything like that, I think its just a person-to-person thing.

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #48 of 60
Quote:

I have a pretty big head and agree with you on Grados being amazingly comfortable - my "endurance record" is still held with RS-1i at something like 13-14 hours. I honestly never got the complaints about their fit/comfort either. So I don't think its "a big head issue" or anything like that, I think its just a person-to-person thing.

It has more to do with where it applies pressure and causes friction. To some it's hard to get that balance of not pressing on the top of the earlobe for example while being able to move their head without them falling off. Bending the headband outwards at the center and inwards near the ends (basically the shape that HiFiMan is now using on their headbands) is the key but the problem is by how much and exactly how far to the ends will be what requires a lot of tinkering.

Oct 17, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #49 of 60
It has more to do with where it applies pressure and causes friction. To some it's hard to get that balance of not pressing on the top of the earlobe for example while being able to move their head without them falling off. Bending the headband outwards at the center and inwards near the ends (basically the shape that HiFiMan is now using on their headbands) is the key but the problem is by how much and exactly how far to the ends will be what requires a lot of tinkering.

I've never bent the headband of any of my headphones, or been bothered with headphones touching my outer-ear, as long as they're not absurdly heavy (e.g. Beats Pro). :)

Oct 17, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #50 of 60
Comfort is the same as sound different to everybody. I guess until they can make a custom can for everyone we have to live with what we can find. I don't know if it's just me but even cans I find very comfortable 99% of the time can just drive me nuts. Feeling uncomfortable to the point of being down right annoying.

Oct 18, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #51 of 60
This is a pretty hilarious thread. :p

That being said, I know this problem FAR too well playing with headphones everyday. I even find IEM's uncomfortable after more than 2 hours of using them!!! I'm always looking for the most comfortable way to enjoy music. Even if it sounds great, if I can't bear to listen for more than an hour, there will not be much play time... So why bother?

I do know that my head is a bit more sensitive than most as I get a headache easily with the Hd650's and Hifiman headphones. The only headphones I've been able to enjoy were the Denon, Fostex, and Beyer headphones. The prior headphones could use some more headband padding, but a removable headband from the latter solves that pretty quick. The engineers get so caught up in the design of the drivers delivering music to the ears, they don't sit there for hours like the end user would and test the comfort!!!

The search continues boys... :wink:

Oct 18, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #52 of 60
I know I'm guilty of not modifying my headphones at all for comfort because the thought of bending leather or plastic fills me with dread. Flexing the headband to reduce some of the tension on my 650s would probably improve overall comfort, but I don't have it in me to try and bend plastic that doesn't seem like it's meant to bend.

Same goes for my LCD-3s and a lot of other cans. I think a lot of headphones that get a bad rap for being uncomfortable can be adjusted reasonably to really improve how well they're worn. A lot of audiophiles just like to baby their gear, though, so they opt out of those adjustments and end up grumbling because they don't quite fit right.

Oct 18, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #53 of 60
  I know I'm guilty of not modifying my headphones at all for comfort because the thought of bending leather or plastic fills me with dread. Flexing the headband to reduce some of the tension on my 650s would probably improve overall comfort, but I don't have it in me to try and bend plastic that doesn't seem like it's meant to bend.

Same goes for my LCD-3s and a lot of other cans. I think a lot of headphones that get a bad rap for being uncomfortable can be adjusted reasonably to really improve how well they're worn. A lot of audiophiles just like to baby their gear, though, so they opt out of those adjustments and end up grumbling because they don't quite fit right.

You'd be surprised how much of a beating the HD650's can take. :wink:
Not that I've tried on my pair or anything. :D

I feel very comfortable bending the metal that shows when you extend the cups down. If you isolate your force to that area, you should have no fears of damaging the plastic.

I would never bend plastic. It'll just spring back, hence plastic!

Oct 18, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #54 of 60
Manufacturers should take a good look at how ear pads are shaped. They should have different sized earpads (circumference, thickness, etc) with a common mounting system. Let the consumer decide which they like even if SQ is affected.
It's a joke they spend tons of R&D and Marketing to talk about SQ when once it is on someone's head, the shape of that person's head and length and shape of ear canals (and listening capability) will affect the SQ anyway. So let us decide which ear pads we want when we buy the headphone.
Clothes, helmets, shoes, condoms (!), etc all come in different sizes but not headphone ear pads???

Oct 18, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #55 of 60
That subjective thing is so true, because I see so many people talking about the clamp of the HD650 when that's one of my favorite things about it. Once they're on, they're on and they ain't going anywhere. I got a big head, too. People rave about the "light as a feather" feel (someone said Grados before) and that was one thing I hated about those. It's like they're just ever so gingerly resting there and I need a roll of duct tape to hold them on my dang head.

Oct 18, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #56 of 60
Manufacturers should take a good look at how ear pads are shaped. They should have different sized earpads (circumference, thickness, etc) with a common mounting system. Let the consumer decide which they like even if SQ is affected.
It's a joke they spend tons of R&D and Marketing to talk about SQ when once it is on someone's head, the shape of that person's head and length and shape of ear canals (and listening capability) will affect the SQ anyway. So let us decide which ear pads we want when we buy the headphone.
Clothes, helmets, shoes, condoms (!), etc all come in different sizes but not headphone ear pads???

Ever seen the modular headphones available from Aiaiai?  They go with the philosophy you are talking about, it's pretty cool actually, I'd like to try them someday :)

Oct 18, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #57 of 60
The sole reason headphones aren't comfortable is because people don't demand it.  People are too influenced on how something feels in their hands and how it looks. The irony of this is neither of those matter when its on your head. 

Sony MDR MA900 in my mind is the best example of this. In my experience is the most comfortable pair of stock headphones yet everyone hates on them because it "looks" and "feels" flimsy despite it being made out of metal. 

For custom headphones my headset I'd argue is the most comfortable headphone/headset in existence. At only 6.1oz and almost no pressure or heat on the top of your head or ears.

Audio Technica ad700 drivers, Sennheiser 600 headband, Grado 80 pads and Sennheiser 31 headset frame.

Oct 18, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #58 of 60
  The sole reason headphones aren't comfortable is because people don't demand it.  People are too influenced on how something feels in their hands and how it looks. The irony of this is neither of those matter when its on your head. 

Sony MDR MA900 in my mind is the best example of this. In my experience is the most comfortable pair of stock headphones yet everyone hates on them because it "looks" and "feels" flimsy despite it being made out of metal. 

For custom headphones my headset I'd argue is the most comfortable headphone/headset in existence. At only 6.1oz and almost no pressure or heat on the top of your head or ears.

Audio Technica ad700 drivers, Sennheiser 600 headband, Grado 80 pads and Sennheiser 31 headset frame.

Wow, that's a nice DIY job!  Crap!  Did you manage to get the AD700 drivers to get better sub-bass extension by combining them with those other components, or do they still lack sub-bass?

Oct 18, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #59 of 60

Wow, that's a nice DIY job!  Crap!  Did you manage to get the AD700 drivers to get better sub-bass extension by combining them with those other components, or do they still lack sub-bass?

It's been so long since I heard a stock ad700. I'm going to say yes because on the current song I am hearing a satisfying bass. The sound for me is best described as Grado 80's, touch more bass and ZERO harshness (listener fatigue.) The biggest surprise is they have some sound stage despite having almost no room to breathe. 

Here is another project me and my friend did. The headphone and the sound are both insanely comfortable. The sound is very warm so some might not like it.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/733413/ms2000s

Oct 18, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #60 of 60

It's been so long since I heard a stock ad700. I'm going to say yes because on the current song I am hearing a satisfying bass. The sound for me is best described as Grado 80's, touch more bass and ZERO harshness (listener fatigue.) The biggest surprise is they have some sound stage despite having almost no room to breathe. 

Here is another project me and my friend did. The headphone and the sound are both insanely comfortable. The sound is very warm so some might not like it.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/733413/ms2000s

It's possible to still hear good bass when the actual SUB-bass is still lacking.  Beceause most of the bass we HEAR is the mid-bass.  The sub-bass is the bass that we FEEL, that gives bass a visceral quality to it.

The sub-bass can be tested using the files on this page: http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php  Specifically the low-frequency sweep at the top, and the Perceptual Flatness Test right below it.  If the stuff from about 20Hz to 50 or 80Hz, especially down near 20, sounds and feels way too quiet compared to the stuff right beyond it, then the sub-bass is lacking in the headphones in question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back