So...who's using Windows 7 right now?
Jan 18, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #91 of 164
Won't install on the dell. I get missing files error messages and the install aborts. Too bad. Maybe because of the odd hardware? Maybe I will dual boot the laptop.....

Jan 19, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #92 of 164
Been using it for a week. Definitely better than Vista, but they haven't really learned their lesson with every problem. Why, after all the criticism, is UAC still on full tilt by default?
Overall, many of the issues I had with the Vista interface have been addressed, putting this version on par with XP in my book. I'd still choose OSX over Win7 though- it's a far more efficient system in terms of productivity.

Jan 19, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #93 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Budgie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Won't install on the dell. I get missing files error messages and the install aborts. Too bad. Maybe because of the odd hardware? Maybe I will dual boot the laptop.....

Missing file errors sounds like a bad disc. Try burning it again.

Jan 19, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #94 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Been using it for a week. Definitely better than Vista, but they haven't really learned their lesson with every problem. Why, after all the criticism, is UAC still on full tilt by default?
Overall, many of the issues I had with the Vista interface have been addressed, putting this version on par with XP in my book. I'd still choose OSX over Win7 though- it's a far more efficient system in terms of productivity.

Should be interesting what apple is going to bunk out with snow leopard. I have been thinking to myself how do you make a almost perfect OS (Talking efficiency here) even better then it already is. I will always expect apple to be a step ahead of windows in terms of a GUI because they have been using it for a longer period of time and therefore, I would expect it to be more developed.

Jan 19, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #95 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why, after all the criticism, is UAC still on full tilt by default?

Huh? It should be a the second most intrusive setting, interrupting only when software needs to run at admin level. This, to me at least, is a major improvement over interrupting when you even just point your mouse at the control panel.

Jan 20, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #96 of 164
Oh don't whine about the UAC, please!
You can't imagine how stupid the average PC user can be.
I've had people putting pictograms in the trashbin thinking they deleted it!
I wouldn't even dare to imagine how much damage they, by accident or whatever, came into the registery or the program files folder..
For us tech-savy people UAC is PITA, but it's simply a precaution for the average PC user.

But about Windows 7!

I've been using it a while now, and the first bugs I noticed were these:
-Gadgets don't work if UAC is set to the lowest notch
-The default Nvidia driver screws with the rendering of movies, i.e. MPEG4, AVI and MKV, both normal and HD. Try the 180.60 driver for Vista, that should solve the problem and give you a good preformance boost
wink.gif

And here are the positive things:
-It installs VERY fast when installed from a external USB HDD
-It looks gorgeous, feels smooth and is easy to operate
-Right out of the box, freshly installed there are almost no drivers that have to be installed, almost everything is already there!
-The new startbar is very nice, very clean and very organised
-The new Action Center is great! It sums up every update, change or alert you need/have
-Till now it's been solid as a rock, no crashes, no hanging problem

And let's not forget the new shuffling wallpaper! It seriously brings a smile to my face, everytime I see a new wallpaper when I get back to my desktop
biggrin.gif

So if you don't mind reinstalling your favorite apps, tools and whatnot, try this beta!
I know you'll love it, I know I do
wink.gif

Jan 21, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #97 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh don't whine about the UAC, please!
For us tech-savy people UAC is PITA, but it's simply a precaution for the average PC user
-Gadgets don't work if UAC is set to the lowest notch

If you disable UAC for longer than it takes to initially configure your system and install your apps, I move that you lose the ability to describe yourself as 'tech-savvy'. Particularly if you think that all it does is annoy you. The point of UAC isn't to get confirmation when you're doing stuff you know about, is to make sure that you're prompted if something you don't know about tries to make changes.

Jan 21, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #98 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Budgie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Try burning it at a speed of 4x or slower.
smile.gif

Jan 21, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #100 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The point of UAC isn't to get confirmation when you're doing stuff you know about, is to make sure that you're prompted if something you don't know about tries to make changes.

It also runs IE and the gadgets in a mode where they can do no harm to the system, which is critical for apps that connect to the web. It is also why gadgets don't work if UAC is off.

Jan 21, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #101 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if it would be supported to be installed via bootcamp on a mac? I am thinking no but there is no shame in asking I know bootcamp only officially supports up to vista

I'm not sure if it's supported but I know a lot of people have been doing it, it should work fine.

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #104 of 164
I've been running Windows 7 on my tablet/laptop (x86) and my desktop/gaming PC/HTPC (x64) for about a month now and its great. However, this comes from someone who did love Vista as well. The lower resources combined with improved features from Vista are why I like it. Full multitouch throughout the OS on my Dell XT, improved handwriting recognition, etc on my tablet, and on the HTPC, Media Center has been improved in some key areas as well: mainly my two hybrid dual tuner TV cards will now work as hybrid cards. In Vista, I had to manually set two tuners to analog and two to digital, and in Win7, its set up as a pool of tuners that it'll just use whatever it needs.

I realize that these are pretty niche uses, but a big improvement to me on top of what Vista gave... and it still has the instant search in the start menu from Vista, which I can't do without.

Jan 26, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #105 of 164
Been using it, honestly I don't see what all the fuss is about. UAC is easily disabled in Vista and once you do that it's not a bad OS, gets way more flack than it deserves.

Feels like Vista SP2 to me, some parts of WMC are better but some are worse (not scrolling through from high channels back to 1 is dumb).

I honestly do not like the taskbar, can't really figure out how to make it go back to something more like Vista/XP.

I just don't see where the big changes are, maybe because I had 4 gigs of RAM Vista never bogged down. I've heard that there might be ways to make this a netbook or lightweight OS but that's certianly not the beta test in question.

I think MS is poised to make a ton of money for a nothing more significant than going from 98 to 98 SP2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back