So, who's psyched for E3?
Jun 3, 2012 at 10:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Kukuk

Headphoneus Supremus
Tomorrow the press conferences begin, and that's where the biggest info of the show is going to drop. I'm getting pretty excited myself. I always love hearing about new games, and the rumors of new hardware have me pretty interested as well!

Really looking forward to Sony's showing. They always have fantastic first party stuff, and now that their pool is starting to run dry, they should be ready for another slew of games.

Jun 4, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #2 of 22
Im looking forward to info on two games from SOE. EQnext and the Wizardry MMO.

My biggest hope though is for more info on ArcheAge. They have not announced a western publisher yet. News on this game has been very sparse but what has been reveiled has me very excited. This game looks to break the WoW clone rut recent MMOs have fallen into and give us a fantastic fantasy sandbox to play in.

Jun 4, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #3 of 22
I'd be interested to see what SOE will bring, though I was totally heartbroken when they cancelled The Agency. Not sure if I'll ever forgive them for that.
frown.gif

Jun 4, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 22
Yea, I am lukewarm to SOE. EQ was my first PC game back in 98 and started my addiction. But they ruined SWG and let Vanguard die when they could have saved it. They seem to have become far more... "corporate" as the years have gone on. The bottom line becoming more important than making a quality game with lasting power. Granted...so has everyone else.

Jun 4, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #5 of 22
All I know about SOE pertains to PlanetSide.

Needless to say, that game is all but dead at that point...but with PlanetSide 2 on the horizon, and being free-to-play at that, I'm itching to represent the New Conglomerate once more.

As for E3, I'm hoping to find out more details about the Wii U beyond what we already know from the pre-E3 video. Just what are they really planning for it?

Jun 4, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #6 of 22
I will say that now that Nintendo announced the "Hardcore" controller, I'm waaaay more interested in what they have to bring. I hate, hate, HATE motion controls, so the thought of being able to play a Zelda or a Metroid game with a standard controller has me very excited. Assuming they themselves will support it. I hope it's not just something to appease the third-party developers.

Which... Now that I think about it, makes sense...

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #7 of 22
Sony's Quantic Dream studio showed off the best character models I've ever seen, in a game called Beyond.

Seriously incredible stuff. And yes, it's running in real time on PS3.
evil_smiley.gif

Oh, and yes, that's Ellen Page.

More screenshots here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=476911

Jun 5, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:
I will say that now that Nintendo announced the "Hardcore" controller, I'm waaaay more interested in what they have to bring. I hate, hate, HATE motion controls, so the thought of being able to play a Zelda or a Metroid game with a standard controller has me very excited. Assuming they themselves will support it. I hope it's not just something to appease the third-party developers.

Which... Now that I think about it, makes sense...

Well, what worries me is precisely that the Wiimote + Nunchuk will be forgotten in favor of the GamePad and Pro Controller, even when it makes more sense. I don't care much for accelerometer waggle, but that IR pointer improved Metroid Prime immensely (it's the main reason I bought Metroid Prime Trilogy in spite of owning the first two games' GCN versions already).

My line of thought here is that most of those third-party cross-platform ports will be shooters, and those will play far better with something that actually approaches the precision of a computer mouse...and that something is NOT the Pro Controller. (If the GamePad still has the IR pointer in the top, though, that could be workable, albeit more unwieldy than the Wiimote.)

Jun 5, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #9 of 22
I, for one, am ready for motion controls to die. There's not a single game I can point that's been enriched by motion controls. It's either built for crappy minigames, unnecessary, or downright broken. The whole time while playing Skyward Sword I'd wonder why the industry felt it needed to move toward motion controls. This was a game built for motion controls, yet it was an absolute mess.

Jun 5, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #10 of 22
An outsider's perspective: I agree with Kukuk on his most recent post; the whole concept of motion control is gimmicky at best. Additionally, has anyone considered the problems with porting motion-controlled games to future systems? Skyward Sword is the newest Zelda game, correct? Well, the original Zelda game has been ported to nearly every system Nintendo has ever made in one way or another -- it is possible for them to do this because those early games had very simple input which could be remapped to virtually any system. So in ten years, if Nintendo is still making video game systems, there will probably be some sort of port of the original Zelda from the eighties, but will they be able to port Skyward Sword? If so, how? Will all future systems have to have motion-control or will they remap the controls to some kind of controller? And if the game could be remapped to a non-motion interface, what was the point of adding motion-control in the first place?

Jun 5, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #11 of 22
I can count a few. Red steel 2, Metroid Prime, No More Heroes, Resident Evil 4, Zack and Wiki, Super Mario Galaxy, Mad World, Tiger Woods PGA tour 9/11 would simply not be as good games without
the motion controls. As for PS3 I can´t think of anything though with the Sixaxis. Move is more like the Wii motion plus but don´t seem to work quite as well the times I tried that.

Jun 5, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #12 of 22
Oh, yeah, almost forgot about RE4: Wii edition.

I HATED the gamepad controls in that game. Utterly, totally hated the tank controls, having to stay completely still while aiming a fidgety gun with an analog stick...ugh. The Wii version at least escalated the controls from "horrible" to "decent" solely because of that IR pointer.

As for other games like Zelda: Skyward Sword...that one's a mixed bag. I like the sword combat, but suddenly moving the skydiving control from the Nunchuk analog stick to Wiimote tilting was just stupid and unintuitive.

Well-implemented motion controls don't mean "shoehorn motion into everything", but "use it for what it makes the most sense with".

Of course, they need to be reliable, too; I never had a problem doing normal attacks in Zelda: Twilight Princess with the Wiimote accelerometer waggle, but trying to do the exact same thing in Okami just left Amaterasu sitting there doing nothing and generally eating an attack or two because of it, forcing me to resort to Power Slash as my main means of attack.

Jun 6, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #13 of 22
Only played Zelda Twilight princess and there it didn´t do much difference so didn´t include it.

As for Resident Evil 4 the genre has it´s basics in horror that is why you can´t run when you aim. It´s not a pure action title.
Resident Evil 5 lost a lot of it´s appeal when you could run and gun :frowning2:

Jun 7, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:
As for Resident Evil 4 the genre has it´s basics in horror that is why you can´t run when you aim. It´s not a pure action title.
Resident Evil 5 lost a lot of it´s appeal when you could run and gun :frowning2:

I'm not expecting to be able to sprint full-speed and pop people in the face in RE4, but I wouldn't mind at least a slow walk to help fine-tune things, like RE: Revelations with the Circle Pad Pro or Type C controls. (Though I'm still pissed that particular game doesn't allow you to use the 3DS touchscreen to aim...)

If anything, the bigger terrifying factors are lack of ammo and generally being outnumbered, though there's no denying that RE4 was the beginning of the series as a whole moving toward third-person shooter territory. Some fans are pissed about that, though they're warming up to RE: Revelations being a return to survival-horror form.

Then again, if you ask some people, a real survival-horror title would be early Silent Hill, the Penumbra trilogy, or its spiritual successor Amnesia: The Dark Descent...in the latter two, fighting at all generally isn't even an option. You either hide or RUN FOR DEAR LIFE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back