So, who's psyched for E3?
Jun 7, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

I'm not expecting to be able to sprint full-speed and pop people in the face in RE4, but I wouldn't mind at least a slow walk to help fine-tune things, like RE: Revelations with the Circle Pad Pro or Type C controls. (Though I'm still pissed that particular game doesn't allow you to use the 3DS touchscreen to aim...)

If anything, the bigger terrifying factors are lack of ammo and generally being outnumbered, though there's no denying that RE4 was the beginning of the series as a whole moving toward third-person shooter territory. Some fans are pissed about that, though they're warming up to RE: Revelations being a return to survival-horror form.

Then again, if you ask some people, a real survival-horror title would be early Silent Hill, the Penumbra trilogy, or its spiritual successor Amnesia: The Dark Descent...in the latter two, fighting at all generally isn't even an option. You either hide or RUN FOR DEAR LIFE.

Nice of you mentioning the Penumbra series. I have had my biggest scares in that title. I run them with Novint Falcon which is just a must. I was hugely disappointed when Amnesia wasn´t going to be supported :frowning2:

Penumbra Black Plague and that ghost that appeared absolutely immortal at the time. I remember a scene where I of course ran and hide behind a desk and having the ghost entering the room and I was absolutely paralyzed. I don´t get that easilly scared having seen the most at that time but has never ever been that close to death anxiety. Visuals where outdated already then but being able to feel the environments made it so physical and real.

I am not by far suggesting that RE4 evils controls are perfect but low on health, low on ammo. No damn auto health regeneration or being able to easilly avoid fights on enemy you have to  kill pretty much is crucial. And of course pace the action correctly.

There is tons of Gears of War titles by now but I guess that is what sells...

Jun 7, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #17 of 22
I don't have a Novint Falcon since I thought it was too expensive for what it offered, and that's coming from a control freak with all sorts of unusual peripherals. Of course, it would help immensely if the Falcon had more than four buttons; as it stands, I think even my Logitech G500 has too few buttons sometimes, and my Microsoft SideWinder Force-Feedback 2 has a hat switch on the handle along with the usual four buttons. (And even 4 buttons + hat switch is a bit on the low side for flight sims, but workable for simpler WWI and WWII aircraft.)

But force-feedback is one of those immersive things that doesn't get used much outside of vehicular simulations, and given the nature of interacting with objects in the Penumbra series, I can see why the Falcon would be an especially good fit. It also helps that it's a 3DoF force-feedback device as opposed to 2DoF like a flight stick. (6DoF would've been even better, because then I could play Descent with it!...but now I'm going off-topic and showing my control freak side.)

Jun 7, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #18 of 22
Lots of amazing new games around the corner. I just wish I had all the time and money to play them all. =/

Jun 7, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:
I don't have a Novint Falcon since I thought it was too expensive for what it offered, and that's coming from a control freak with all sorts of unusual peripherals. Of course, it would help immensely if the Falcon had more than four buttons; as it stands, I think even my Logitech G500 has too few buttons sometimes, and my Microsoft SideWinder Force-Feedback 2 has a hat switch on the handle along with the usual four buttons. (And even 4 buttons + hat switch is a bit on the low side for flight sims, but workable for simpler WWI and WWII aircraft.)

But force-feedback is one of those immersive things that doesn't get used much outside of vehicular simulations, and given the nature of interacting with objects in the Penumbra series, I can see why the Falcon would be an especially good fit. It also helps that it's a 3DoF force-feedback device as opposed to 2DoF like a flight stick. (6DoF would've been even better, because then I could play Descent with it!...but now I'm going off-topic and showing my control freak side.)

Not alone then :D. I don´t know how easy it´s to sell but I think it would be worth to buy play penumbra series and then sell it. At least if you haven´t played the games before. They are all but bad with must mouse/keyboard but it´s just special when those virtual walls becomes real and everything has believable texture and weight. I don´t see much future for it sadly but it was really worth it just for that experience.

I don´t really see it´s uses for flight or racing simulations as there is wheels and joysticks for that. Sure fun to try and feel some suspension going but would need some really futuristic stuff. Maybe Wipeout would feel more natural but suspension should be felt in your buttocks rather then hands.

FPS can be kind of cool but again it´s a bit obstructive compared to something like the wii remote. Really only Penumbra and some 3rd person action games I really enjoyed it.  

I guess what they need is to get backing from Sony, Nintendo or Microsoft or some of the real dragons that really have the funds to market it. They are starting to touch these areas so maybe in E3 2013 they will show something similar.

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #20 of 22
My favorites were Tomb Raider, The Last of Us, Watch_Dogs, and Beyond: Two Souls. Pretty much in that order :D I need to get myself a PS3 sometime to play all of the great exclusives, it's really too bad they aren't on PC :frowning2:

This was also my first time watching E3 (last year at this time I was playing mindless shooters i.e. CoD, you can tell my tastes have changed since then) and it was a blast! Loved hearing about and feeling the hype and excitement of ALL these new games, so pumped for them!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back