so who else is excited about IMAP in gmail?
Oct 24, 2007 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

kugino

Headphoneus Supremus
very good news indeed. for me, at least. now i can use mail.app on my different macs without resorting to all sorts of configurations to make sure all my mail looks the same across the different devices. woo hoo!

Oct 24, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #2 of 23
Guess it's time to throw away that colocated server!

But seriously, this is a great move forward for Google. I wouldn't have considered using GMail for my main account to begin with since I'm a control freak, but without IMAP access it was definitely a no-go. At the very least I want to be able to hit the web client remotely and keep those read/deleted messages in sync with my main mail client at home.

Of course most people use the web client exclusively and couldn't care less...

Oct 24, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by error401 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guess it's time to throw away that colocated server!

But seriously, this is a great move forward for Google. I wouldn't have considered using GMail for my main account to begin with since I'm a control freak, but without IMAP access it was definitely a no-go. At the very least I want to be able to hit the web client remotely and keep those read/deleted messages in sync with my main mail client at home.

Of course most people use the web client exclusively and couldn't care less...

i hate the web client...i understand that google wants us to search rather than use hierarchical folders, but the option of folders would be nice.

in IMAP all the labels now become mailboxes so i can still use one account to get access to all my other email accounts and keep it all nice and tidy. sweet!

Oct 24, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #4 of 23
I may return to Mail.app from Mailplane now. Nicely timed as the Mailplane beta is ending soon. Nice job Google.

Oct 24, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #5 of 23
I was excited, but they have yet to add the option of using IMAP to my account.
frown.gif

Oct 24, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #6 of 23
I have yet to set it up, I might actually open mail.app for the first time (on this macbook pro anyway) now.

Oct 24, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I may return to Mail.app from Mailplane now. Nicely timed as the Mailplane beta is ending soon. Nice job Google.

i was doing the same thing...but decided to buy Mailplane
mad.gif
...good thing their education price was very cheap. i've heard great things so far about Leopard's mail.app so i'm looking forward to that...just a few days more!

Oct 24, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #9 of 23
I would be cautious with moving large numbers of emails over to Google's IMAP servers, at least initially. Google doesn't have the best reputation for testing solutions before they deploy them (or for not fixing things when they break -- e.g. re-enabling the scroll tracking checkbox in Google Reader). I had some problems with POP and Gmail when it first came out, causing a few emails to get lost in limbo. There have been some comments over on Slashdot that the new IMAP server doesn't properly handle emails with foreign character sets and unicode emails. It would be unfortunate if people transferred a large number of emails over to Google and something went wrong without them realizing it. Wait a little while for other people to find the bugs.

Oct 24, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #10 of 23
Wodgy, that's a good warning, and something to watch for. For the earlier problems though remember Gmail was long in beta (as Google does with many products). I think the perspective some have of Google releasing bugging software is at least partially incorrect. They just offer up beta software to a much larger group for a longer time (while still labeling it as such). Maybe that's not a major difference to most people, but it is to me (I want access and then decide for myself). Course that wouldn't be an excuse for current Gmail problems (now out of beta) and the warning is a good one especially with IMAP.

Anyone know if this is being rolled out to Google domain hosted accounts too? It hasn't for me, though has for my Gmail accounts.

And in the interest of openness though I was a contractor at Google up to a week ago.

Oct 25, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #11 of 23
yeah, good warning wodgy.

i had originally read that most domain hosted accounts would get IMAP first...our university gmail system has IMAP buy only one of my personal accounts has IMAP. not surprisingly (or maybe surprisingly?) it's my original gmail account.

i've actually made an archive of all my mails just in case something happens...so far it looks pretty good, but it's somewhat slow, unsurprisingly. have to play around with the web interface and mail.app to get it to look and feel just right.

Oct 25, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #12 of 23
I am VERY excited about this! I have been waiting for this to happen, now i can use my school email AND gmail in the same client, since I have two computers, this was just not practical for me.

Oct 25, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #13 of 23
I am excited.
But sadly IMAP is not turned on for my Gmail account yet.
frown.gif

Oct 25, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #14 of 23
I actually just setup a gmail account for my wife for the exact opposite reason of using IMAP to connect to gmail. She hated our hosts web e-mail client so much that I decided to setup gmail to basically work as an interface to her e-mail on our domain.

I use a local IMAP server at home that basically works as archiving and an IMAP server on our host that actually has the new e-mail on it. IMAP is handy, and I could definitely see the point of using it with gmail if you've attached yourself to a gmail address.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back