So when all is said and done about cables making a difference or not...
Jun 28, 2008 at 10:13 AM Post #31 of 180
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojo
To be honest there is probably more variable in impedance from headphone to headphone due to manufacturing than between types of cable.

Exactly. The amounts of difference here are so freaking small that they are about as valid as the millimeters to which a piece of fabric on a headphone would be. Less, from what I can see.

Jun 28, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #32 of 180
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's something to be said about DBT though.

Much like wine connoisseurs, many people think it's all garbage. "Cheap wine tastes and smells the same", etc. So, I'm curious as a sense is subjective. Is there any way to "neutralize" your hearing "pallate", like you can with your sense of smell by smelling coffee beans. Cause like many say "your ears grow accustomed to the sound". So, is there anything you can do to minimize or even eliminate that effect? If there is, there would be no excuse to DBT, as well, I can see that as being a major flaw in the whole DBT testing.

But I see that as a major role in DBT...

This is almost as incorrect as your claims that science couldn't explain how helicopters and hummingbirds fly or how a curveball moves.

Really, wine testers/connoisseurs are strikingly accurate and pass STRINGENT blind testing. Certified wine testers have to do so regularly or they will lose their credentials.

Jun 28, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #33 of 180
How big is the difference between pleasing and not-so-pleasing wine? And a pretty and a not-so-pritty face? Pleasing sound vs irritating sound?
i don't know; I do know that a few years ago in a Dutch forum, we had this irritating guy there was no difference in cables.
Irritating, because it's blunt if people say they hear differences to just tell them they are imagining things. Without even being there.
Some people organised a DBT and the results were quite significant; differences in cables could be heart by all panelmembers, even though it was not on their own set (something I wouldn't do, knowing it takes time to learn the finesses of a system).
He then started to claim there was no difference in sound between CDP, we advised him to walk into a hifi store and kicked him out.

Jun 28, 2008 at 11:25 AM Post #34 of 180
Quote:

Originally Posted by Terminus Est 23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is almost as incorrect as your claims that science couldn't explain how helicopters and hummingbirds fly or how a curveball moves.

Really, wine testers/connoisseurs are strikingly accurate and pass STRINGENT blind testing. Certified wine testers have to do so regularly or they will lose their credentials.

Are you sure about that?

Look here:
$90 wine tastes better than the same wine at $10 study and for the full study.

Many wine tasters are about as full of themselves as some audio snobs with golden ears. Lose credientials? Please, that's about the same as some audio editor losing his credentials.

I never said science COULDN'T explain how it happens, but rather, if you could infer any sort of information, you'd see they go against typical logic and rules of flight (VERY BASIC science). Of course science can explain how it's done, how the hell do you think they make technological advances on it if they couldn't explain it?

Would it please everybody more if I said science couldn't explain something like maternal or predatory instinct? Gimme a break.

Jun 28, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #35 of 180
Jun 28, 2008 at 12:07 PM Post #36 of 180
science can't explain why someone would take $500 and spend it on 'better' cables instead of loads of new music.

Jun 28, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #37 of 180
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i don't know; I do know that a few years ago in a Dutch forum, we had this irritating guy there was no difference in cables.
Irritating, because it's blunt if people say they hear differences to just tell them they are imagining things. Without even being there.

It is possible that they could have heard a difference. One of the cables could have been defective or poorly designed. He was just assuming that all the cables you were using were good cables.

See ya
Steve

Jun 28, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #38 of 180
Quote:

Much like wine connoisseurs, many people think it's all garbage. "Cheap wine tastes and smells the same", etc. So, I'm curious as a sense is subjective. Is there any way to "neutralize" your hearing "pallate", like you can with your sense of smell by smelling coffee beans. Cause like many say "your ears grow accustomed to the sound". So, is there anything you can do to minimize or even eliminate that effect? If there is, there would be no excuse to DBT, as well, I can see that as being a major flaw in the whole DBT testing.

Yes, its called Apple ibuds. Listen to them before each change.
smily_headphones1.gif

Bose may work also.
cool.gif

Jun 28, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #39 of 180
Quote:

I know what you mean about ears getting accustom to a sound. If I've been listening to my QP85s and switch to my DT880, the DT880 sounds muddy and undetailed. It's just that the QP85 is so detailed that the DT880 doesn't stand a chance. If I wait 15 minutes or so, the DT880 sounds fine and plenty detailed.

Jun 29, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #40 of 180
a good system with ratshack cheapie cables will always be better than a not as good system with the most amazing cables. anyone that says otherwise is just fooling themselves or just buys into the nonsense. i have aftermarket cables but i could easily do without them...

Jun 29, 2008 at 8:07 AM Post #41 of 180
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a good system with ratshack cheapie cables will always be better than a not as good system with the most amazing cables. anyone that says otherwise is just fooling themselves or just buys into the nonsense. i have aftermarket cables but i could easily do without them...

A good system with amazing cables sound amazing, a good system with ratshack cables sounds like a system with ratshack cables...i've never found in all those years a 5 dollar wonder cable. Period, before you start, i've tried them all, cheap very expensive...expensive mostly are better then the cheaper ones in most respects...

Jun 29, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #42 of 180
I just built two sets of interconnects, mainly to go about answering this question to myself

first set: eichmann silver bullets, 22 awg 99.99% silver wire in teflon casing, silver solder.

Second set: Eichmann copper bullets, OFC copper wire, normal solder.

The sound very different, and i can easily distinguish which is which. With the copper there is literally a warmth and depth i dont get with the silver.

The silver can also sound harsh on some recordings, the copper removes that.

Which do i prefer? The silver. It has more detail, and gives lets me here everything - the smallest background noised.

Jun 29, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #43 of 180
however..... more testing the copper is slightly attenuated.

It obviously is slightly more resistive than the silver. So my testing isnt valid - levels are matched.

hmph.

Jun 30, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #44 of 180
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamus /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The sound very different, and i can easily distinguish which is which.

arent you in luck... some guy named james randi is offering $1 million to someone who can do such a thing hahah

Jun 30, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #45 of 180
Quote:

Originally Posted by gotchaforce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
arent you in luck... some guy named james randi is offering $1 million to someone who can do such a thing hahah

Yep, and there are a handful of surge suppressor power strip companies who offer ridiculous amounts of insurance if any equipment is fried by surges when attached to their boards. But just like James Randi the conditions of their offer makes it impossible to get any such compensation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back