So what's the latest on USB Asynchronous and Firewire ?
Oct 26, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #16 of 20
There are a few off the shelf ethernet solutions on the market currently - Squeezebox, Aiport Express, Roku, of which the squeezebox is the most popular and also has some diy mods done to it.
It also nice to see something happening in the DIY world for ethernet DACs.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...threadid=85473

http://audio.peufeu.com/node/9

It might still not be the end of line for PCI cards like some emu cards that can take an external clock i.e. you can "slave" them. Thereby eliminating the very jittery and dirty PC clock.

Oct 26, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal
I agree that Ethernet is the future. PCI soundcards don't stand a chance with the SMPS. All tests I have seen of USB to I2S give high amounts of jitter centering around 1khz.

This result is highly dependent on the chipset used and the design around it, including the clock. There is no reason why jitter should not be as low or lower with USB than Wi-Fi solutions. My own Wi-Fi solution utilizing an AirPort Express with Superclock 4 and I2S interface still has a bit more jitter than my USB to I2S solution with Suprclock 4. USB is still the best IMO.

Steve N.

Oct 26, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by goodsound

It might still not be the end of line for PCI cards like some emu cards that can take an external clock i.e. you can "slave" them. Thereby eliminating the very jittery and dirty PC clock.

No slaving a soundcard does not help with jitter, these daughter cards with the wordclock input use a PLL to convert the clock speed, you end up with as much jitter as a DVD player (same issue PLL).

I would be interested in a low jitter USB, all the published reports I have seen show jitter spikes at 1khz do to the way the packets of data are sent over USB even when going USB to I2S direct. Thats right in the most critical midrange.

Dec 30, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by goodsound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bump
to see if any progress or new developments have happened since then ? (2+ years!)

I just got my Brick USB DAC from Wavelength last week. Was upgraded to Version 2 which runs the USB in async mode. Running on my custom Linux music server; sounds *wonderful* and no sound issued.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back