So what's the latest on USB Asynchronous and Firewire ?
Sep 21, 2006 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

goodsound

100+ Head-Fier
Haven't been in touch with this subject for a long time so I thought I'd check if there have been any updates. Last time I checked these weren't viable (or available) options for goodquality PC->DAC interfaces. USB Asynchronous was running to OS issues. And Firewire was unclaimed territory (boy reading that sentence again makes me feel older than I am!). I am sure things must have changed.

So now both in terms of DIY and the ready market what is available ? Any successfull DIY projects using async usb or firewire ? Any good products out there on the same lines ?

Somewhere I read/heard that the Audigy 2 NX uses async mode. Behringer FCA202 is a firewire option. These are the only two I know of. But that doesn't neccessarily mean they are great souding/performing DACs. No idea what type of clocks, components and design are used in other areas of the unit.

Sep 22, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #2 of 20
Audigy 2 NX uses Asynch mode. It needs mods and new power supply to sound great, but no pops and ticks.

I am getting a quote from a software company to do Asynch work with the TUSB3200 for my next generation converters. They say it is doable with the new Windows OS.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Sep 22, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #3 of 20
Hi Steve, thanks for your reply.
The Audigy 2 NX spec says it will support Windows 98SE thru XP/2k. So I wonder how do they manage to do it that if async is doable only in the new OS ?

Sep 22, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by goodsound
Hi Steve, thanks for your reply.
The Audigy 2 NX spec says it will support Windows 98SE thru XP/2k. So I wonder how do they manage to do it that if async is doable only in the new OS ?

It's not that Asynch is not doable with the older OS's, its just that it was a custom chip design and firmware to make it happen, like in the Audigy 2 NX. None of the off-the-shelf chips supported it. I think the new OS makes this easier somehow.....

Sep 22, 2006 at 4:28 PM Post #5 of 20
Ok. that's what my hunch was.

For USB, Asynchronous is referred to as one of three Isochronous modes available in USB. but when it comes to Firewire, Asynchronous and Isochronous are referred to as seperate modes.
That's a little confusing to me
confused.gif

Sep 22, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #6 of 20
The term asynchronous in tis context simply means that the master clock of the playback resides in the DAC itself and that the source is supplying the data asynchronously.

For both USB and Firewire the deliver is still done via an isochronous endpoint. However there is a second isochronous backchannel that allows the DAC to regulate the flow of data from the computer to match its crystal rate.

Great news on the firmware for the TUSB3200! Please keep us posted.

Cheers

Thomas

Oct 21, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by audioengr
Audigy 2 NX uses Asynch mode. It needs mods and new power supply to sound great, but no pops and ticks.

I am getting a quote from a software company to do Asynch work with the TUSB3200 for my next generation converters. They say it is doable with the new Windows OS.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Hi there.
What sort of mods would you suggest?

Also, any suggestion on a new power supply?

Finally...how do you get bit perfect out of the nx?

Thanks in advance.
Mish

Oct 22, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mishkakrisa
Hi there.
What sort of mods would you suggest?

Also, any suggestion on a new power supply?

Finally...how do you get bit perfect out of the nx?

Thanks in advance.
Mish

Mods - New external power supply, linear. I design my own. Redesign the S/PDIF output circuit - match perfectly to 75 ohms (this does not simply mean a 75 ohm resistor). Improve the power delivery and signal paths for all the digital chips.

Bit-perfect I dont know. I thought it was. I know it will do 16/44.1 and 24/96 and they sound different. 24/96 is definitely better.

Steve N.

Oct 22, 2006 at 9:42 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

To which version of Windows are you referring as new? Windows XP which is the newest out now or Vista which is yet to come?

Oct 22, 2006 at 11:26 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Mods - New external power supply, linear. I design my own. Redesign the S/PDIF output circuit - match perfectly to 75 ohms (this does not simply mean a 75 ohm resistor). Improve the power delivery and signal paths for all the digital chips.

Bit-perfect I dont know. I thought it was. I know it will do 16/44.1 and 24/96 and they sound different. 24/96 is definitely better.

Steve N.

Wow...most of those mods are waaay beyond me. So, starting with the simplest first, what sort of differences would the power supply make. Since i dont have the skills to make one myself...where would i buy a linear power supply 5v dc?

Also, slightly off subject(sorry guys) Do you think the 2 nx stock sounds better than AE?

Mish

Oct 22, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by educator
To which version of Windows are you referring as new? Windows XP which is the newest out now or Vista which is yet to come?

Vista.

Steve N.

Oct 22, 2006 at 7:08 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mishkakrisa
Wow...most of those mods are waaay beyond me. So, starting with the simplest first, what sort of differences would the power supply make. Since i dont have the skills to make one myself...where would i buy a linear power supply 5v dc?

Also, slightly off subject(sorry guys) Do you think the 2 nx stock sounds better than AE?

Mish

Power supplies can be purchased at mouser.com, digi-key.com and alliedelec.com

Look at the voltage and current ratings of the wall-wart that comes with it.

Steve N.

Oct 22, 2006 at 8:13 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Power supplies can be purchased at mouser.com, digi-key.com and alliedelec.com

Look at the voltage and current ratings of the wall-wart that comes with it.

Steve N.

Hmmmm problem is, I'm in the uk.

What would I look for?

Thanks in advance.

Mish

Oct 25, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #14 of 20
Powering it with batteries has been said to bring the biggest improvement for this soundcard. Search on google or audioasylum for mods.
As for the original subject on hand, I am almost convinced that Ethernet is the way to go here. Time to dump USB and Firewire if they can't keep up.

Oct 25, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by goodsound
Powering it with batteries has been said to bring the biggest improvement for this soundcard. Search on google or audioasylum for mods.
As for the original subject on hand, I am almost convinced that Ethernet is the way to go here. Time to dump USB and Firewire if they can't keep up.

I agree that Ethernet is the future. PCI soundcards don't stand a chance with the SMPS. All tests I have seen of USB to I2S give high amounts of jitter centering around 1khz. With ethernet you have the ability to give clean power and a good clock. I just hope they find a way to integrate digital EQ and crossfeed. A program like Goldwave but in realtime on the files would work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back