So What Would Be Your CD player if you had $500, $750 & 1,000 & could buy it used?
Jun 27, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzziguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A couple of months ago I bought a used Eastsound E5 for $500. I got a better price than the usual going rate $550-600, probably because I'm such a nice guy.
tongue.gif
I really like this player. I do have a LiTe Dac-AH and plan on upgrading it. Then I'll compare using it as the DAC vs. the stock E5. I wouldn't be surprised if I prefer the stock E5. It's that good.

Use the Esound as transport with the modded Dac-Ah and its a lovely anologue sound.

Jun 29, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hershon2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you had a budget of $500, $750 or $1,000 on hand & could buy an CD player, used (assume it works perfectly & can be or not be on the retail market) or new, assume this is just the CD player no accessories with it (i.e. no seperate cables, external DACs, preamps, etc.), what would you buy by brand name & model, assuming you could get the player in this ballpark budget?

I wouldn't buy one. I'd rather rip all my CD's to flac and get a good USB DAC in the price range.

Jun 29, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't buy one. I'd rather rip all my CD's to flac and get a good USB DAC in the price range.

Really, this should be considered thread crapping.

But, for what it's worth, my answer for $750 and $1000 is a Rega Apollo. For $500 I saw an old Njoe Tjoeb on AgoN the other day, and it caught my fancy. They're going for about $500 used, and every one I've heard sounded excellent.

Feb 24, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #22 of 29
Bought an E-Sound E-5 and it is very nice, I have not listened to every thing else out there but my 2 cents

Feb 25, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #23 of 29
Only based on what I have heard....

1k ? new.... Rega Apollo
1k ? used... Arcam Solo ~maybe
750 and under ? A used NAD

But honestly though,if I was starting with a grand,from the word go,hmmnn.

I would save up more dough and buy something else,just cause...

Feb 25, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #24 of 29
For the under $500 options, if I were buying a cd player I'd try the
Toshiba HDXA1 as a transport - output to a Citypulse or future tube DAC --I like the idea of the double chassis - probably less than $250 used now

in the $500 to $700 range I have a hankering to try the
Shengya S-10CS for the tube output, I haven't seen one used yet.

if I could find one for $1000;
Cayin CD-22 again because I'd like to hear the tube output

(I have no illusions that these are "Best" just what I'd like to hear)

Feb 25, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #25 of 29
Feb 26, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #26 of 29
California Audio Labs MK ll w/ Boss UpGrade.

Apr 5, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
California Audio Labs MK ll w/ Boss UpGrade.

Seconded. I tried in the $2-3k range, but it took $5k (used...) to beat this overall to my ears.

Apr 5, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #28 of 29
I dont mean to hijack, but I keep looking at a few CDP's:

Rotel RCD-1072
Rega Apollo
Music Hall Maverick

The thing I really want is for these to have a digital IN so that I can plug my computer into it and not need a DAC at all, just my CDP that acts as a DAC and Transport--->DAC. Is this a reasonable expectation and is there anything I should look at that does this?

Apr 5, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by PITTM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont mean to hijack, but I keep looking at a few CDP's:

Rotel RCD-1072
Rega Apollo
Music Hall Maverick

The thing I really want is for these to have a digital IN so that I can plug my computer into it and not need a DAC at all, just my CDP that acts as a DAC and Transport--->DAC. Is this a reasonable expectation and is there anything I should look at that does this?

Cambridge Audio 740c/840c have digital inputs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back