So what after Kind Of Blue?
Apr 1, 2004 at 3:43 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by stryker
Cookin' With the Miles Davis Quintet

That's by far my most favourite from the series too!!

Apr 1, 2004 at 3:57 PM Post #18 of 29
There really are some GREAT suggestions in this thread.
biggrin.gif

I'd also suggest:

Louis Armstrong Meets Oscar Peterson

Chet Baker - Chet

Apr 2, 2004 at 3:28 AM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by roll-man
Are you guys here on earth? 18 replies and no one suggested the great jazz classic of all time....

John Coltrane - Giant Steps

"The great jazz classic of all time" doesn't exist, so that claim means little. There are many great Jazz albums and artists and surely Coltrane is up there with the "best."

Apr 2, 2004 at 1:18 PM Post #22 of 29
Kenny Burrell: Midnight Blue

Oh, and I should second Herbie's Maiden Voyage. For some reason when I think Kind of Blue I also thing Maiden Voyage.

Maybe because I bought them at the same time back when I was in highschool. Those were good old days. Also happened to be around the time I heard Miles had passed on
frown.gif

I really feel like Midnight Blue is a real good album and any fan of jazz should try it out. I don't feel like Kenny gets his props.

Apr 2, 2004 at 11:20 PM Post #23 of 29
lots of good suggestions here... i'll add a few of my very favorites:

charles mingus: "mingus ah um"
ornette coleman: "the shape of jazz to come"
modern jazz quartet: "django"

each one is very different from the other, but they're all superb, and they're all too often overlooked.

Apr 3, 2004 at 12:06 AM Post #24 of 29
So what after Kind of Blue--get it?

I don't think I've seen Oliver Nelson's The Blues and the Abstract Truth mentioned. Liking KOB, I think you're sure to enjoy Nelson's best album. In it you'll hear Bill Evans (for a second time), Eric Dolphy, Freddie Hubbard, and Roy Haynes, several of the most influential men on their respective instruments. In particular, it contains some of Freddie's most brilliant solo work which in itself makes the album well worth listening to.

NGF

Apr 3, 2004 at 1:12 AM Post #25 of 29
ROLL-MAN,

I totally agree with you. Personally, I think 'Giants Steps' is one of the best jazz albums ever. I truly enjoy it! I wish the quality of the recording was better but who cares with tunes that good.

wink.gif
wink.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 3:31 PM Post #26 of 29
I can definitely support the recommendation for Bill Evans Trio - Waltz for Debby... get it in 20-bit or XRCD. It's awesome. Sunday at the Village Vanguard is another Bill Evans recording you might like. Both are nearly as perfect as Kind of Blue.

Coltrane's "Ballads" is good, too - underrated.

Apr 3, 2004 at 7:44 PM Post #27 of 29
all I am going to say is that right now John Coltrane's - Blue Train is spining on my turntable....

Maybe you should try out the same thing.

This album will keep you happy with some nice blues and great solos by the players. (and a nice ballad too)

Apr 3, 2004 at 8:02 PM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by marios_mar
btw is that the bass played with a bow at a couple of songs?

I really like that!

If you really enjoyed that, you must look into John Coltrane's date "Ole Coltrane." The track "Ole" has two bassists! It's amazing! Read more about it at allmusic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back