So what after Kind Of Blue?
Mar 31, 2004 at 10:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Luvya

100+ Head-Fier
Allright, so KOB is my first Jazz CD, I've had it for a few weeks, and the music just finally starts to kick in tonite. So now I want more jazz, which album you guys recommend? Is there an album like KOB that you think I ABSOLUTELY have to have? Please! I have very limited budget, so don't give a list of 15 CDs...with that said, plz pour me with ur suggestion now.

Mar 31, 2004 at 11:36 AM Post #2 of 29
the usual recommendation is john coltrane's blue train - it worked for me, being just one step ahead of you (2 jazz cds)
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2004 at 11:38 AM Post #3 of 29
Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert ... its live and unrehearsed, totally free flowing and spontaneous piano jazz, the melodies are unbelivable at times.

I'd rate that as a second must-have above any other Miles stuff.. of which I have a decent amount.

Mar 31, 2004 at 1:29 PM Post #4 of 29
Bill Evans - Waltz for Debby

He's the piano player on Kind of Blue.

Mar 31, 2004 at 1:55 PM Post #5 of 29
I second the recommendation of Waltz For Debby-- it's a great record (to my non-Jazz expert ears, at least)

I would also recommend:

Cannonball Adderley's "Know What I Mean?"-- which also features Bill Evans on piano,

and

Mulligan Meets Monk.

Mar 31, 2004 at 2:20 PM Post #6 of 29
I'll second Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert & John Coltrane's Blue Train. Almost anything by Coltrane is worth adding to your growing collection of jazz.

A few others:

Chet Baker - In Paris
Flim & The BB's - This Is A Recording
Houston Person - My Romance
Pat Metheny - Secret Story

Secret Story is one of my favorites of all time. If you are not familar with Pat Metheny, he is a great guitar player and has a few acoustical albums as well.

John

Mar 31, 2004 at 6:08 PM Post #10 of 29
Dave Brubeck's Time Out is probably the most popular Jazz album of all time (and it deserves its popularity)

if you like KOB, you'll also like anything from the Miles Davis/John Coltrane collaborative session:

Workin' with the Miles Davis Quintet
Steamin' ...
Smokin' ...
Relaxin' ...

Mar 31, 2004 at 11:04 PM Post #13 of 29
Coltrane - Blue Train

Brubeck - Time Out.

Monk - Straight, No Chaser

I've been in your position not long ago. the first two you'll definately like, and give the third some time and you'll know how good it is.

I wouldn't go for In A Silent Way, not just because I think it sucks, but it's way out there. rather go for the Workin', Relaxin' (etc.) series by Miles Davis. also, early stuff like Birth Of The Cool is amazingly cool. basically, if your brain is taxed and you're not sure what to get, get one of those. you'll love em man, trust me.

If you dig Coltrane, get Giant Steps.

Apr 1, 2004 at 3:06 AM Post #14 of 29
John Coltrane - Blue Train

Dave Brubeck - Time Out

Ben Webster Meets Oscar Peterson

Ben Webster - Soulville

Apr 1, 2004 at 3:34 AM Post #15 of 29
Cookin' With the Miles Davis Quintet

Sonny Rollins - Saxaphone Colossus

Dave Brubeck's Time Out ...of course

EDIT:

One good option would be to look up the PBS special Jazz by Ken Burns. There are a number of cds that were released under the PBS "label" which cull several styles and important works by several Jazz artists including many listed in this thread. Most of the cds are by artist but I think some are by the period. That's a good start and certainly worth your $15 or so, but it's mostly (great) old school stuff, nothing too way out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back