So This is Where All the Money Went...
Apr 19, 2010 at 6:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

WhitePanda

New Head-Fier
Dear Forum,
I'm looking for a new pair of IEMs and the Westone 1's comfort/value for money seems tempting. I just wanted to hear some feedback from the experts on any competitors that might be better than the Westones. I'm setting the price limit at 150, since that's just about what the Westone 1s cost.

What I Want:
Accessories (a good assortment of tips)
Case (goes with ^)
IN-EAR monitors....(self explanatory)
Comfort (to be able to have IEMs on for several hours)
Good build quality

What I Don't Want:
Microphonics
IEMs that require an amp (I don't have one...)
Mics on the IEMs

Music preference: (I slightly favor bass, but none of that V-Moda nonsense)
Rap/Hip-Hop
Hardstyle
Pop
Some Rock

Hope I'm not being too anal. And thanks in advance.

Apr 19, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #2 of 13
microphonics are imo pretty much unavoidable unless you go down the wireless route

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #3 of 13
@ whitepanda, a 150 what? dollers? pounds? etc ie7 might be for you, no microphonics, comfortable , large selection of tips ,good bass ,good build quality, case etc.

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #4 of 13
Fischer Audio Eterna! They are well built, sound way above their MSRP, comfortable and fit your music, IMHO, perfectly. They are very involving, fun and have deep, punchy bass that will make your head bounce.
smily_headphones1.gif
Check the reviews! If you don't like them, they are quite popular so reselling them with minimal loss won't be a problem.

Apr 19, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Negakinu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fischer Audio Eterna! They are well built, sound way above their MSRP, comfortable and fit your music, IMHO, perfectly. They are very involving, fun and have deep, punchy bass that will make your head bounce.
smily_headphones1.gif
Check the reviews! If you don't like them, they are quite popular so reselling them with minimal loss won't be a problem.

+1. You might also look at the Hippo VB. Very customizable and it has gotten good reviews across the board (look at anything but ipod).

Apr 19, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #6 of 13
The 150 would be in USD. Sorry, should have been clear with that.
And regarding microphonics, I'm not looking for COMPLETE silence, just reduced microphonics for everyday walking, light jogging, etc.

I've heard some good reviews for the Hippo VB but the shape of the IEMs seems to encourage straight-down style of wear, which I've noticed causes more microphonics (unless it's an earbud) so I'm a little discouraged. If that's not the case, I'll look into the Hippos. The Eternas seem promising as well.

Any comment on the Westone 1s in comparison?

Apr 20, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #7 of 13
Q-Jays, UE SF5Pro, Sennheiser IE7, Etymotic HF5, Sony EX700LP and Panasonic HJE900.

Apr 20, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #9 of 13
well they never really got popular around here so not much to say when most don't own it

Apr 20, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #10 of 13
I guess I just got a little excited by Earphone Solutions' review of them. But they do seem to have a bias towards Westones in their reviews.

Maybe I should get them and do a review...?

Apr 20, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #11 of 13
If you can spend more then Westone 2 are better IEMs with same fit, cable as Westone 1 but more detailed. Sennheiser IE7 are rich(detailed)sounding IEMs with huge soundstage and deep punchy bass. The mids are also well represent(detailed) and high are clear. BTW i noticed EPS has very good price on UETF10Pro and they sound really good.

Apr 20, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #12 of 13
I think that you would be best off saving your $150, as from my experience with the Westone 2, MRSP isn't a very good value at all. You could do better if you're willing to buy used especially.

Apr 20, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by B[van] /img/forum/go_quote.gif
microphonics are imo pretty much unavoidable unless you go down the wireless route

Meh, not really. Obviously you aren't going to get any with the SA6s but there are phones out there with great cables that drastically reduce microphonics.

Using my UM3Xs, I hardly get ANY and I ONLY get some if I hit the cable with my hand and purposely create vibrations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back