So this is the Grado sound! How do RS-2's compare to SR-60's?
Mar 22, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #31 of 41
Simply put, the RS-2's are not worth, to my ears, the massive price differential between them and the MS-1's. The SR-60 i would say does not fall THAT much further down the "musical" trail, but you'd have to try the RS-2 yourself and form your own opinion. Many many people have told me, the only viable upgrade in terms of getting a discernibly better sound is that of the RS-1/MS-Pro. But yeah, grab some bowl pads for the SR-60, and go down to a shop and compare!

Mar 22, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #32 of 41
Don't fool yourself, making your opinion from other peoples opinion. Its still very personal, IMO. Do you have any experience with different Grado's?

I see that you wrote: "Simply put, the RS-2's are not worth, to my ears, the massive price differential between them and the MS-1's".

So you have compared MS1 vs RS2? And after that came to this conclusion
confused.gif
Or you just have heard it from someone else?

Sorry for asking, but just curious about MS1 sound, cos can hardly imagine that RS2 aren't better than MS1.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PooJou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Simply put, the RS-2's are not worth, to my ears, the massive price differential between them and the MS-1's. The SR-60 i would say does not fall THAT much further down the "musical" trail, but you'd have to try the RS-2 yourself and form your own opinion. Many many people have told me, the only viable upgrade in terms of getting a discernibly better sound is that of the RS-1/MS-Pro. But yeah, grab some bowl pads for the SR-60, and go down to a shop and compare!

Mar 22, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by headphonejunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before you take a major jump you might want to try the 225's. I have never heard the rs2's but I am not sure if the difference in sound between the 225's and the rs2's warrants $275 more.(You can get them for $175 from ttvj.com and the rs2's go for $450 from there)

You can get used RS-2s here from $350 to $375 when they show up so the difference in price isn't quite as great unless you are simply stuck wanting new headphones. Personally, I like to listen to mine when they come in instead of looking at them for 200 hours of break in. Let someone else pay new rates and do the non-fun break in for you.

Mar 22, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #34 of 41
The RS-2 is much better than the lower SR series IMO.As far as burn in goes I feel you cant beat getting them new and hearing the changes take place right before your very ears.
Plain and simple,the RS-2 is one of the best hps ever made
rs1smile.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaurusman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So my new SR-60's came in today. They're replacing standard Sandisk earbuds and Sony MDR-V100's so old that they may predate Stonehenge. The tight bass, clearer highs w/o lisp ... I don't think I had an "eargasm" but after an audition with Def Leppard, Dido, The Sisters of Mercy's Some Girls Wander by Mistake (my GOD, I now fully appreciate their raw earlier years and I was already a Sisters fan!) and Nickelback I could almost stop right here!

That said ... Who can contrast and compare the RS-2's to the SR-60's? You know, just outta curiosity...

smily_headphones1.gif

They are the SR-60s with uneven mids and brighter, harsher treble.

Mar 22, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by plokmijn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

that's an interesting and uncommon take on the rs-2s. could you please elaborate on your conclusions and how you arrived there since you're findings are quite at odds with most others? thanks.

Mar 23, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #37 of 41
This evening I've been doing a second set of comparisons, this time not against my Sony MDR-V100's, but against my top-of-the-line (for Sony) tower speakers. My sources have changed in that instead of ripped lossless from the headphone out of my work PC, it's my turntable feeding a very inexpensive modern-day Sony receiver. When I finally get off my duff and fix my Pioneer SX-1280 sound quality will universally improve, and maybe the Sony's headphone out is an afterthought.

I started with The Beatles, I am the Walrus and The Fool on the Hill sounded much, much better through the speakers. Sounded more flat and closed in on the Grados. I then recalled how much I loved some Dido on the SR-60's yesterday at work and pulled that LP. Honestly OK and Don't Slide still sound better on the speakers than the Grados, but they sound good on the Grados too. The speakers just seem to be more dynamic and higher resolution, I think. A little crisper, maybe? I'm fumbling with "audiophile" terms here, I know.

Could it be that I'm giving the speakers an unfair advantage, with 13 hours of pink noise on the Grados vs. fully broken-in speakers? Could my speakers just be that good? I definitely like them a good bit, but figured they were a seriously budget buy. Then again, the Grados are too, right?

I placed my order on HeadRoom today after the good experience of ordering the Grados for the AKG K-81DJ's for use at work. Maybe I should break in the Grados and the AKG's and then do a 3-way comparison? How many hours of pink does that take, anyway?

Should I place my order for bowls post haste? My gut tells me that foam between the drivers and my ears are to blame.

Mebbe I'm playing the wrong music here. Wrong for RS-2's, too? I could switch to some Def Leppard, which I also loved yesterday in the Grados, but then I'll have to feed it from the laptop which complicates the comparo further.

Sorry to have so many questions, but I am new at this here, as my post count testifies.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #38 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by plokmijn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And misinformation from kookoo clocks starts wars...

Mar 23, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #39 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't fool yourself, making your opinion from other peoples opinion. Its still very personal, IMO. Do you have any experience with different Grado's?

I see that you wrote: "Simply put, the RS-2's are not worth, to my ears, the massive price differential between them and the MS-1's".

So you have compared MS1 vs RS2? And after that came to this conclusion
confused.gif
Or you just have heard it from someone else?

Sorry for asking, but just curious about MS1 sound, cos can hardly imagine that RS2 aren't better than MS1.

You might want to do a search on the headphone forum regarding my experience of MS-1 and RS-2 - it's on here somewhere.

Yes, i have come to this conclusion, no i didn't get it from anyone else. I've tried SR-80, SR-125, SR-325i and the RS-2 in the grado lineup. I have yet to try the RS-1/MS-Pro, and am told they are a whole new level above the RS-2 (whether they are discernibly better than the RS-2, and in turn, the MS-1 is anyones guess really)

And yes, i agree, don't form your opinions based on other people's opinions, this is a problem that is rife on here especially I think.

Mar 23, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #40 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaurusman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This evening I've been doing a second set of comparisons, this time not against my Sony MDR-V100's, but against my top-of-the-line (for Sony) tower speakers. My sources have changed in that instead of ripped lossless from the headphone out of my work PC, it's my turntable feeding a very inexpensive modern-day Sony receiver. When I finally get off my duff and fix my Pioneer SX-1280 sound quality will universally improve, and maybe the Sony's headphone out is an afterthought.

I started with The Beatles, I am the Walrus and The Fool on the Hill sounded much, much better through the speakers. Sounded more flat and closed in on the Grados. I then recalled how much I loved some Dido on the SR-60's yesterday at work and pulled that LP. Honestly OK and Don't Slide still sound better on the speakers than the Grados, but they sound good on the Grados too. The speakers just seem to be more dynamic and higher resolution, I think. A little crisper, maybe? I'm fumbling with "audiophile" terms here, I know.

Could it be that I'm giving the speakers an unfair advantage, with 13 hours of pink noise on the Grados vs. fully broken-in speakers? Could my speakers just be that good? I definitely like them a good bit, but figured they were a seriously budget buy. Then again, the Grados are too, right?

I placed my order on HeadRoom today after the good experience of ordering the Grados for the AKG K-81DJ's for use at work. Maybe I should break in the Grados and the AKG's and then do a 3-way comparison? How many hours of pink does that take, anyway?

Should I place my order for bowls post haste? My gut tells me that foam between the drivers and my ears are to blame.

Mebbe I'm playing the wrong music here. Wrong for RS-2's, too? I could switch to some Def Leppard, which I also loved yesterday in the Grados, but then I'll have to feed it from the laptop which complicates the comparo further.

Sorry to have so many questions, but I am new at this here, as my post count testifies.
smily_headphones1.gif

Laughable, but understandable...

Your Sony speakers are NOT more highly resolving than the Grados my friend. However, the reciever is probably powering them better than what you are using to power the Grados. Get any HP amp and source worthy, and you would experience that fact.
rolleyes.gif

Good luck~

Mar 23, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #41 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Laughable, but understandable...

Your Sony speakers are NOT more highly resolving than the Grado RS2 my friend. However, the reciever is probably powering them better than what you are using to power the Grados. Get any HP amp and source worthy, and you would experience that fact.
rolleyes.gif

Good luck~

I'm comparing them to SR-60's, not RS-2's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back