So this is the Grado sound! How do RS-2's compare to SR-60's?
Mar 22, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #16 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lmilhan I'm almost 100% sure you would like the PS-1 more than the RS-1s. Try to find one. Seriously. I prefer the HP-2 to any Grado (or maybe to any headphone) for my tastes, but the PS-1 has the RS-1 sound with better balance, refinement, and detail.

It still rocks every bit as much as the RS-1

Oh yeah, I believe it! It just seems that they appear for sale so infrequently, and when they do, I just don't have the funds available to grab 'em. I'm still kicking myself for not grabbing a pair back when TTVJ was selling them.

As for the HP-2s, I really loved those phones as well, and I regret selling them. But something I have learned about myself is that I ultimately do prefer a more colored sound in a pair of Grado phones - the HP-2s were a bit too 'neutral' at times for me. With that said, I have a sneaking suspicion that the PS-1s would be the 'holy grail' of Grado phones for my tastes.

Perhaps some day...

*floats off into a daydream*

Mar 22, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #17 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't be ashamed about the RS-2, seriously look up those threads! It is one of the most under-appreciated cans on head-fi!

I'm REALLY liking my RS-2's!

Mar 22, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yeah, I believe it! It just seems that they appear for sale so infrequently, and when they do, I just don't have the funds available to grab 'em. I'm still kicking myself for not grabbing a pair back when TTVJ was selling them.

As for the HP-2s, I really loved those phones as well, and I regret selling them. But something I have learned about myself is that I ultimately do prefer a more colored sound in a pair of Grado phones - the HP-2s were a bit too 'neutral' at times for me. With that said, I have a sneaking suspicion that the PS-1s would be the 'holy grail' of Grado phones for my tastes.

Perhaps some day...

*floats off into a daydream*

I love my PS-1. I got to hear robm321's HP-2, and while it had the same refinement as the PS-1, the PS-1 just rocked so much better. The big difference is the bass just has so much more punch to it but is very tight and controlled. It also had a different flow about it. I just got a new source and the dynamics are incredible. So much detail but also still very musical and just so much fun.

As far as the original poster, The RS-2 was the first Grado I owned but returned after a few days for the RS-1. It had a bigger soundstage and sounded great on almost everything. There were some recordings that the RS-2 didn't sound right on. I can't really remember what the problem was.

Even with the PS-1, I still love the SR-60 for work.

Mar 22, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #19 of 41
When I bit the Grado bullet, I went for one of the big guns and dove straight into the Alessandro MS-Pro. I immediately put my HD595 back into it's protective box and created a listing on ebay and have not looked back
blink.gif
Now coupled up with a Dared MP5 tube amp... I cannot create a vocabulary for what my ears are experiencing
rs1smile.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 5:16 AM Post #20 of 41
I don't know. I say enjoy your SR-60s and the music you like. Learn their nuances. Side by side them with other phones at times. You can get technical with a pair of phones without going straight to the top of the line. Refine your source. Get a mail-order spouse. And then, if you're still dissatisfied (I think we've all been there, ok, maybe not the mail order spouse ... ), get some new 'phones.
rs1smile.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #21 of 41
A few words I would use to describe the RS-2's in relation to the SR-60's would be creamy and powerful. They have better detail and resolution, but gone is that "roughness" or granularity you find in the SR-60-125's. You also get stronger and more punch bass response. The highs are not as harsh but the detail is still there. A great upgrade if you buy used in my opinion. I've tried the RS-1's momentarily and they are only slightly different. I'd rather spend money on a nicer amp or DAC than upgrade from RS-2's to RS-1's. Some people actually prefer the sound of the RS-2's over the RS-1's (me included).

Mar 22, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #22 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by unclejr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know. I say enjoy your SR-60s and the music you like. Learn their nuances. Side by side them with other phones at times. You can get technical with a pair of phones without going straight to the top of the line. Refine your source. Get a mail-order spouse. And then, if you're still dissatisfied (I think we've all been there, ok, maybe not the mail order spouse ... ), get some new 'phones.
rs1smile.gif

i'd suggest you do your headphone upgrading prior to getting the bride. it'll make for far greater domestic bliss for both of you!
cool.gif

one thing to keep in mind, when upgrading from sr-60s to higher end grados you will want an amp.

Mar 22, 2007 at 7:43 AM Post #23 of 41
I have not heard the RS-2, but last October, I was able to A/B the SR-60 with the RS-1 for a couple weeks. The SR-60 has the same "house sound" as the RS-1, but that's where the similarity ends. The RS-1 has much better detail and resolution. It's almost like taking a sock off of the SR-60 and letting it bloom in the sun. It's that good.

If your wallet is quarreling with you over the RS-1, look for a used pair. They turn up around $500-$550 both here and Audiogon on a regular basis. That's about the same as a new RS-2. Used RS-2s rarely come up and they go fast when they do.

I bought my RS-1 used and worried about the price. Then it arrived and I plugged it in. I couldn't believe how good it sounded. It kept me up most of that night and it still is amazing. You won't regret what you spend on a RS model. It'll last for years and years while making you love your music that much more.

However, you might want to keep an eye out for the HF-1. They've been selling around $350 lately, which is a good deal for a woody Grado. They sound pretty darn good, as well.

The other Grados, GS-1000, HP-1/2/3 and PS-1 are all excellent. The HP-2 is one of the best I've heard, period. I'll get around to collecting the rest sooner or later. Especially that PS-1.

Mar 22, 2007 at 9:36 AM Post #24 of 41
Never heard of SR60, but owned SR225, RS2, RS1 and the last one MS PRO ( just sold ). After this little search I strongly believe that it is all the matter of preference.

SR225 - I think for the money the best Grado for all kind of music, except classical, but POP, JAZZ and especially ROCK are pretty damn good with them. Punchy as hell.

RS2 - The best of Grado for acoustical guitars, IMO. Pretty nice with JAZZ, but like most of Grado does, the BASS is lacking. Very fresh, easy and airy sounding, but can be a bit painful with some HEAVY ROCK & JAZZ records.

RS1 - The most colored sounding Grado, IMO. To much of everything that I was starting to loose the control over the whole happening. I found them "muddy", kind of, with not that much space between the notes.

MS PRO - I think it is some kind of compromise between RS1 and RS2. Not that punchy, couple of steps back from your ears and very polite even with high volume. Highs more controlled or rolled off kind. With them you miss punch, but if you turn the pads or use the flats, they will become more punchy. These phones are very good one for people who can not stand Grado sound in general. I think they can be very good choice for all all-rounder.

All these phones don't have any of soundstage. Well, maybe RS1 some, but very tinny as well.

After all this I end it up with GS1, believe it or not. Yes guys, I admit, they are better than all of these, to my taste anyway. I will not say anything about PS1, which shocked me with their sound, because I didn't have the moment to compare them to GS1. But if I had that kind of money, they would be in my collection for sure.

I am not trying to convince anybody up here to anything. This is just what I think, that's all. Your ears can tell you the true, only this way and no other...

Mar 22, 2007 at 10:29 AM Post #25 of 41
Long shot here, and sorry to slightly hijack the thread, but has anyone had the chance to compare a Headphile Woody MS2 against a stock RS-1? I'm probably gonna pick up a used pair of RS-1s soon but I'm not sure how much improvement I should expect. Cheers!

Mar 22, 2007 at 10:35 AM Post #26 of 41
Before you take a major jump you might want to try the 225's. I have never heard the rs2's but I am not sure if the difference in sound between the 225's and the rs2's warrants $275 more.(You can get them for $175 from ttvj.com and the rs2's go for $450 from there)

Mar 22, 2007 at 12:00 PM Post #27 of 41
Well, they are totally different phones, RS2 I mean, and yes they are worth every penny extra.
gs1000.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by headphonejunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before you take a major jump you might want to try the 225's. I have never heard the rs2's but I am not sure if the difference in sound between the 225's and the rs2's warrants $275 more.(You can get them for $175 from ttvj.com and the rs2's go for $450 from there)

Mar 22, 2007 at 12:02 PM Post #28 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaurusman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So my new SR-60's came in today. They're replacing standard Sandisk earbuds and Sony MDR-V100's so old that they may predate Stonehenge. The tight bass, clearer highs w/o lisp ... I don't think I had an "eargasm" but after an audition with Def Leppard, Dido, The Sisters of Mercy's Some Girls Wander by Mistake (my GOD, I now fully appreciate their raw earlier years and I was already a Sisters fan!) and Nickelback I could almost stop right here!

That said ... Who can contrast and compare the RS-2's to the SR-60's? You know, just outta curiosity...

smily_headphones1.gif

First Welcome to Grado world
wink.gif

Then you just made the first mistake, look other products of Grado line
biggrin.gif

I bought a sr60 a month ago and finished with a RS-1, didn't want to lost time and money to go step by step, direclty go on Top..

O Yea sorry for you wallet
rs1smile.gif

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #29 of 41
I've been an SR-60 user for 5 years at work. They are great cans. I also have Senn HD-650's. In some ways, I have more of a connection with the music when listening to my SR-60's than the 650's. The 650's hit all of the audiophile hot buttons but for me there distance and neutrality end up boring me. Guess I'm just not a Senn guy.

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #30 of 41
Thanks for all the answers and ideas, guys! I think I have an idea of what I can expect from the higher end Grado products. Meanwhile, think I'll go place my order for AKG 81 DJ's for work and that way be able to compare the Grado sound with something else, etc. I got in a couple hours ago and reached for my Sony's, put 'em on my head and 30 seconds into a song gave up on listening to music. So much for that! Now I'm spoiled.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back