So this guy claims that the Uptown's top the M50's....
Apr 28, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #16 of 55
Nice, interesting review, however I have to disagree with one aspect - isolation to ambient noise. When I auditioned them at Best Buy I found the isolation to be very poor and it's what surprised me. It wasn't even that loud at Best Buy but I could clearly hear noise around me easily. Can't comment too much on the SQ since it was a brief audition and not plugged into my dap. But the isolation to ambient noise was not impressive at all (not as bad as Denons or the Aviators but definitely less isolation than that of the M50 IME) and I would imagine it would be worse on a train/plane.

Apr 29, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #17 of 55
Llloyd, thanks for recommending my work to some of your friends!  I'm leaving YouTube (and the Internet as a whole) in a few weeks to go serve an LDS mission in Santa Cruz, Bolivia for two years.  Totally stoked!  Concerning the M50, I agree.  They're a fun set, but way too much bass (the 700MKII are like seizure inducing), and so though I own them, I usually result to other headphones in the same class when I'm rocking cans around town.  They're not terrible at $150, but with so many other options in the same price range, I think it's hard to sell them at that point.  We're seeing a price inflation with both AT and Sennheiser's stuff—which is good I guess.  More demand.  But sucks for us audio folk that used to get stuff cheap. :) I think you should check the Uptown out.  They're not for everyone (due to their extreme warmth), but they're an amazingly fun can to listen to, and even though I have far nicer headphones, I find myself going back to the Uptown for the fun of it.

Apr 29, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #19 of 55
Spaghetti isn't flat...linguini cable maybe?

Apr 29, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #21 of 55
I quit listening to this guy after his review of the Fanny Wangs.

Apr 29, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #22 of 55
Hmm...comfy eh?  Going off of just TSIG's video review, seems like something I would have added to my wishlist if it weren't for the inline volume controller and the flat cable.  Other than that, sounds like my HARX700s.  I usually don't like inline controllers since they usually break.  Minimal leakage is great for on-the-go.

Any owners that can comment on how well it stands up to abuse, mainly if the cord is snagged on something on-the-go?  Any problems with the inline controller?

Apr 29, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #23 of 55

Quote:
     Quote:

Impressions thus far?

Well, I am no audiophile, but I quite like these! The amount of bass is perfect for me; it's not like the PRO700MK2's I had, but it's good! The isolation is good as well! They leak very little sound, which is a big plus!

Apr 29, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #24 of 55

Quote:
Hmm...comfy eh?  Going off of just TSIG's video review, seems like something I would have added to my wishlist if it weren't for the inline volume controller and the flat cable.  Other than that, sounds like my HARX700s.  I usually don't like inline controllers since they usually break.  Minimal leakage is great for on-the-go.

Any owners that can comment on how well it stands up to abuse, mainly if the cord is snagged on something on-the-go?  Any problems with the inline controller?

The build quality is pretty good, everything feels durable and nice. The cord is a little flimsy and springy, but if the cord catches onto something while walking, the headphones might fly off your head because they rest lightly on your head (very little clamp). I can't comment on the inline controller yet, because I've had it for 1 day, but it doesn't seem like I'll have any problems with it for a long time (I hope).

Apr 29, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #26 of 55
A very good review, indeed. But Quinn seems a little bit wishy-washy about some factors. For instance, he reviewed the M50 and stated that he thought they were very balanced and neutral sounding. However, in this review, he changed his mind and talked about it having a V-shaped sound signature. I guess his mind changed after hearing more neutral headphones.
Also, in this review, he says that the M50 has a lot of sound leakage. And that is just false.

The Uptown most likely is better than the M50 in almost every regard. But I feel that maybe he still twisted the truth a little bit in favor of it.
It's okay, though. I'm nitpicking. He's just trying to state his opinions. And opinions do change.

I need to sample these things at Best Buy!

Apr 29, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #27 of 55
Unfortunately, the display for these at best buy was broken (Only these wouldn't work, funny). Though, they isolate nicely, not too amazing. And I like their construction. I'll find a working pair and give 'em a listen.

Apr 29, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #28 of 55

Quote:
Unfortunately, the display for these at best buy was broken (Only these wouldn't work, funny). Though, they isolate nicely, not too amazing. And I like their construction. I'll find a working pair and give 'em a listen.

Maybe I should test drive these if I can find it at my local Best Buy.  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back