So they sent me the DT770 250omh instead.
Nov 5, 2009 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Amatsu

100+ Head-Fier
Hello. I purchased the Beyer DT770 80ohm on Euroguitar but they sent the 250omh version instead, so I was little disappointed because I know how these phones need an amp which I don't have right now and I was hoping the 80ohm would be allright for the time being.

So now I'm stuck with the big brother, I decided to keep them because I was very looking forward to have them and I don't want to wait any more days, surely some of you can understand me.

So now I have to find some power to drive this thing I guess, sure, I plugged them directly on the X-fi music with a crappy Fiio E3 I had lying around, but it gave a bad first impresion like I assumed.

I happen to have and old Creative 5.1 Speakers which I believe the sub-woofer is also an amp for the speakers, do you think that would do any good for the time being? It has a headphone out on the volume controller.

Also, since I don't have a lot of money anymore after this purchase, I will look into buying a dedicated amp if possible, although it would have to be cheap, less than 100$, is there anything for this price good enough? Before buying the phones I was looking into the Zero DAC/AMP, I don't know. Maybe a cheap cmoy will do?

Anyway thanks for reading. By the way my old headphones were a Equation RP-22x, but they broke down. At least if I can't listen to the Beyer I'll spend my time looking at them, I think they are very pretty.
beyersmile.png

Nov 5, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #2 of 5
Question. Is your DT770 250ohm same model as the 80ohm was supposed to be, or is it newer 2005 model? (grey cups)

Also, what kind of bad impressions you got from your Fiio E3?

Nov 5, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #3 of 5
It is the old model.

After some testing, I plugged them into the speaker's amp and it seemed to sound very good, after some listening time, I went back to plug them into the sound card with the FiiO and it also sounded good so I don't know, I guess my brain needed time to adjust or since these are studio headphones they are more "picky" with the songs and their quality. Nevertheless, I need more hours to be able to tell the difference, I'll post again in a couple of days about that.

Right now I think I'll have them plugged on the speaker's amplifier with the FiiO too, as it seems to make the bass nicer for some reason. When I get accustomed to the sound, I'll go back to the sound card to see if I sense a decrease in quality.

By the way, volume-wise it was already fine without the amps, I had the Windows sound half the way, and the bass doesn't seem overwhelming at all, they are definitely bassy headphones but it seems to be controlled. (Note that I don't have a lot of experience in headphones.)

Well I'm relieved now, I was a little scared I couldn't appreciate the phones but damn, they sound really good now, you always wonder how good can the music get.

Nov 5, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #4 of 5
They are good headphones; they'll always sound 'pretty good', if say, you compared with doing the same thing to a cheap pair of Sony's.

Send them back and get what you ordered, or get a decent desktop amp. If you don't you'll never hear what they're capable of. A sub and Fiio are a bodge for phones of that ability - all that's doing is adding a bit of volume, not providing the power they need. Even the 80ohm should really have an amp, but it won't need the sort of grunt the 250 does.

Nov 5, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #5 of 5
You will have needed a decent amp no matter which dt770 model you buy. Simply for the point they substituted a different (and least desirable) version than you ordered - I'd return it and buy from someone else (eBay, or Guitar Center [after dickering re price there]). The most loved dt770 versions are the 80ohm and significantly better 600ohm.
Until you have a "decent" amp, you will end up with clipping and not getting the sound your dt770 can produce - deep bass requires significant power to produce it. If you find a used RSA P51 Mustang amp - you will be happy........for a home amp - look for one of the old Corda HA-2 MkII for your 80 ohm dt770.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back