So the Refurb MTPC just arrived...
Apr 16, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #16 of 64
Mine faces out as well. Honestly though I wouldn't think that would be indicative of any kind of defect.

Quote:
are you going to try and get them replaced? also can those that have the pros check if their gold Y part of the wire faces the correct way when they put the right bud in the right ear and the left one in the left ear? I think mine might be wrong because the side with the number faces out.

Apr 16, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #17 of 64
1st post , long time lurker.

I haven't kept up with the monster refurb products though and I was wondering if anyone knew when they restock the mtp golds or coppers. It says Monday Wednesday Friday on the site but there was nothing restocked on Friday.

Apr 16, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #18 of 64
Still waiting for my Copper. I hope mine is okay =/

Anyway, has anyone have a pair of SE215? What do you think of it? They are currently as the same price as the refub Copper on Amazon ($99.99.)

Quote:
I picked up the Shure SE215s earlier in the week and have been quite impresses with them.  The are a warm IEM, with great isolation, great sound separation, a good sense of airiness or ambience, seem pretty rugged, are light for work-outs.  Here's my comparison to the Monster Turbine Pro Coppers, copied from another thread:

I've had a chance to do a side by side comparison between the SE215s and the Moster Turbine Pro Coppers.  The following are my impressions (music selection: Bekki Williams's Innersense):

Bass:  There is a lot of similarity in the bass characteristics of the SE215s and the MTPCs to my ear.  The MTPC's bass is a bit more pronounced, but at the same time a bit boomier, with a bit more emphasis in the mid bass than the SE215.  The SE215 goes deeper, seemingly more linearly.  Overall, I like the SE215 better.  Winner: SE215

Mids: Wow, compared to the MTPCs, the SE215s really shine here.  The SE215s mid are more forward, more organic, and just more pleasant to my ear.  Winner: SE215

Treble:  Quantity wise, the MTPCs has more treble and better treble extension.  Both can be a bit strident at times.  The MTPC has more sparkle.  The SE215 is a bit warmer.  It comes down to a matter of preference.  Winner: MTPC.

Ergonomics:  Both have more microphonics than the UE700s or W3s.  When moving around, the cable noise of both seemed about equal.  However, when comparing which tip is held better on the sound tube, the SE215s win.  I suspect it's due to the relatively loose fit of the Comply tips on the MTPCs sound tubes.  In fact, I've switched to using the Comply's made for the UE Super.Fi / Triple.Fi series since these are 0.2mm smaller in diameter and just fit the MTPCs better.  I'm tired of having the Complies come off of the MTPCs in my ears.  Winner: SE215s for the better grip on the tips.

Sound Isolation:  No question here but that the SE215s provide more isolation than the MTPCs (Comply tips used on the MTPCs, Shure foams on the SE215s.)  I've always been a bit disappointed with the isolation of the MTPCs.  The sound is probably due to the loose fit of the tips noted above.  Winner: SE215s.

Spaciousness:  This is a tough contest.  The strong treble performance of the MTPCs gives the music some air and ambience that the SE215s lack.  The sound stage is about equal.  But, even with the air, the MTPCs sound a bit muffled and locked in, especially at lower volume levels, perhaps due to the different mid and upper mid treatment.  It's a hard choice, but I think the MTPCs have the edge.  Winner: MTPCs.

Winner:  SE215s by a bit, but it's not a huge margin.  If you factor in the cost of the MTPCs, there is quite a difference in favor of the SE215s.

Apr 17, 2011 at 2:08 PM Post #20 of 64
It would be hard to know without trying them, but I think the MTPC didn't get a fair review in that comparison since he used Comply foamies. I tried Comply on the Coppers and it sounded pretty awful (even reversed). Might have something to do with these favoring a shallower insertion . Still, I'd love to hear what the se215 sound like but there's not much of a value proposition at $99. If they start selling them at a retailer without restocking fees and a pain-free return policy, I might bite. Otherwise, I'm kind of worried they'll turn out to be an s4 with better build quality

Quote:
seems like FOTM to me

Apr 17, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #23 of 64
But Amazon already has them on sale @ 105, you reckon I wait until Amazon does some super deal sale and has them for 70? Lord knows how long that'll take, and I reckon they'll go back to their regular price(165) before they go back to 70.

Apr 17, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #24 of 64
My coppers came on Friday and I've been using them non stop. Arrived with everything the OP posted and in "like new" condition. Since there's no warranty, I'm still using my M6 while I work out but I'm trying to resist using my coppers. The sound quality is just incomparable. Good luck to every one else. 

Apr 17, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #25 of 64
$105 is really just the normal street price. You can get them at that price at any number of online retailers. It's not a "deal" just because Amazon says so. Amazon had them at ~$70 earlier this year and they pop up in the sales forum from time to time. 

But then, if you really want them that bad and are willing to pay 105 for them, please, by all means go ahead and buy them. Although why you'd pay $100 for the regular turbine when you can get the vastly superior Pro Coppers for the same price, though refurb, is beyond me. 
Quote:
But Amazon already has them on sale @ 105, you reckon I wait until Amazon does some super deal sale and has them for 70? Lord knows how long that'll take, and I reckon they'll go back to their regular price(165) before they go back to 70.

Apr 17, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #26 of 64
I was thinking about getting the Refurbed Turbines @ $50, do you reckon I get that or the Refurbed Golds @ 100$? I'm kinda cautious about Refurbs..
Quote:
$105 is really just the normal street price. You can get them at that price at any number of online retailers. It's not a "deal" just because Amazon says so. Amazon had them at ~$70 earlier this year and they pop up in the sales forum from time to time. 

But then, if you really want them that bad and are willing to pay 105 for them, please, by all means go ahead and buy them. Although why you'd pay $100 for the regular turbine when you can get the vastly superior Pro Coppers for the same price, though refurb, is beyond me. 

Apr 18, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #27 of 64
Bottomline, the refurb Turbines are the cheapest while the refurb gold/coppers have best value, so you either go with the least hurtful to your wallet or the best sound. But Monster refurbs have crappy warranty, and Monster's stuff aren't exactly known for good durability. So if you HAVE to have a turbine very soon and don't want second-hand stuff, go with the $105 regular turbines. This is my last advice. You might wanna open your own thread if you want other people's opinions since we are off-topic.
Quote:
I was thinking about getting the Refurbed Turbines @ $50, do you reckon I get that or the Refurbed Golds @ 100$? I'm kinda cautious about Refurbs..

Apr 18, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #28 of 64

Quote:
My coppers came on Friday and I've been using them non stop. Arrived with everything the OP posted and in "like new" condition. Since there's no warranty, I'm still using my M6 while I work out but I'm trying to resist using my coppers. The sound quality is just incomparable. Good luck to every one else. 

you have 90 days with the refurb. If I were you I'd use them daily to make sure they dont break. if they last you a few hundred hours and still sound balanced, chances are your pair will last you quite some time

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #29 of 64
This... it's the bathtub curb. I'm just babying mine like I do all my expensive gear. These will never see the inside of a gym, I'm pretty sure my sweat would rust the parts and ruin the sensitive driver. I mean... there's only a little metal mesh acting as the last line of defense. Anyway, I find the whole construction too bulky and microphonic to use comfortably in that application.

Quote:

you have 90 days with the refurb. If I were you I'd use them daily to make sure they dont break. if they last you a few hundred hours and still sound balanced, chances are your pair will last you quite some time

Apr 19, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #30 of 64
I just received my MTPCs today, all the tips are included and everything looks good. Well, everything looked good until I put on some of my Foam supertips, and put them in my ears. Okay, they sound like Turbines, but better - as expected. Still not really my favorite sound signature. I took off the supertips and suddenly I notice that there's something stuck in the middle of my right tip. Uh oh. Upon further examination it appears to be the metal mesh on the channel of the Coppers - the right one had fallen out completely, and I can't reattach it. Has this happened to anyone else? Is this going to be a problem? This is just a wax guard, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back