So... The 5G headphone out is pretty poor...
Mar 19, 2006 at 12:51 PM Post #61 of 92
The hiss is virtually non-existant until about 50% volume out of the remote, which is not the case at ANY volume through the headphone output...

Bangra, you'll have to keep us up to date with your tests
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #62 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieFactory
this is different than the DAC in the Nano so this may account for the differences/improvements in SQ. It's generally accepted that the 5G > Nano with respect to SQ.

I can't speak for the 5G users but I think you could have something there as far as the Nano goes. If the digital signal is converted in the remote - which has a superior DAC, then that would explain the improvements in SQ.

Mar 19, 2006 at 11:26 PM Post #63 of 92
Hi guys.

It's going to take a bit more work than I first thought, as the iPod remote's headphone out seems to output at a subtly different (lower) volume to the headphone out at any given volume setting. This will throw off at a fundamental level all attempted assessments of sound quality (if you're swapping from jack to jack) without perhaps making it all that apparent.

I'm also not 100% sure at this stage that the variability remains constant. I'm going to have to do a whole lot more plug/unplug testing with the level meter.

Mar 19, 2006 at 11:49 PM Post #64 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
Hi guys.
the iPod remote's headphone out seems to output at a subtly different (lower) volume to the headphone out at any given volume setting.

Hi bangraman,
This seems to make sense as I find that with the remote my my Nano the UM2's seem to be "driven" better. It's like the shuffle as far as output. Weird.

Mar 22, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #65 of 92
Uh, Duncan was right. I like the Remote. So much, I'm adding this thread to my sig!

So here it is, pre-bagged:
IMG_0092.JPG

Here's a close up of the portable rig bundled in its bag - you can see the Sumajin Smartwrap tucking away the long remote cable too.
IMG_0098.JPG

Here's a top down view of what I see when I'm walking around and lift the flap- easy peasy.
IMG_0095.JPG

Mar 22, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #67 of 92
I got mine today, and plugged it into my Nano. The SQ is definitely improved using my EC3's. What surprised me the most was the quality of the radio signal; it is truly excellant. The clip on remote is very handy also, as others have mentioned. I hate having to dig my Nano out of my pocket to change a song, and now I don't have to! Now I just have to figure out how to manage the cord-salad.

Mar 22, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #69 of 92
Sorry to interupt, I have a burning question here for those 5th gen ipod user. Do you still experiencing distortion when EQ is set to bass booster on your 30/60 gig 5th generation Ipod ? I am currently using 4th gen 20g ipod and i am experiencing distortion when bass booster is set even after using the Xik dinram. Thank you guys and sry to interupt

Mar 22, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #70 of 92
Thanks; I'm playing with various wraps as we speak. One solution that seems to be promising is the beltloop attachment on my incase sports armband. It uses a vecro closure to hook around a belt, and also can be used to store loops of cord. It looks a bit geeky (like hanging a garden hose from your arm or belt), but seems workabale. I'll give it a shot and see how it works.

Mar 22, 2006 at 5:51 AM Post #71 of 92
Maybe someones willing to risk making a "turbo remote dock" for those who dosent want the extended cable?

Mar 22, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #72 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by dbintoro
Sorry to interupt, I have a burning question here for those 5th gen ipod user. Do you still experiencing distortion when EQ is set to bass booster on your 30/60 gig 5th generation Ipod ? I am currently using 4th gen 20g ipod and i am experiencing distortion when bass booster is set even after using the Xik dinram. Thank you guys and sry to interupt

I can't say i've tried the EQ...

If no-one comes back to you before I get home i'll give it a whirl
smily_headphones1.gif

Duncan.

PS - Jahn - Glad you like it
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #73 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
I can't say i've tried the EQ...

If no-one comes back to you before I get home i'll give it a whirl
smily_headphones1.gif

Duncan.

PS - Jahn - Glad you like it
smily_headphones1.gif

Phew, glad Jahn has joined the fold. Thought it would be just Dunc and I - sole members of the radio remote fan club.

Mar 22, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #74 of 92
Okay...

I'm not really one for EQ, so i'm probably not the best person to ask, but I can say that there is less 'distortion' with the remote than out of the headphone output...

...That being said, I think that anyway - so it could be just more of the same.

Does anyone else have anything to say about this?! Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackT
Phew, glad Jahn has joined the fold. Thought it would be just Dunc and I - sole members of the radio remote fan club.

...and ComfyCan too
smily_headphones1.gif

We're slowly gathering in numbers lol.

Mar 22, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #75 of 92
Well, Duncan, ZackT, and Jahn...welcome me to the "Happy as hell with the ipod Remote Team!"
Wow...the sound quality is quite glaring with my A900LTD's. There was a bit of hiss from about 10% volume on up from the headphone out and with the remote...in the clear till about 70%
The treble is slightly toned down and the bass is tightened just a smidge.
Not pretending to be an uber-audiophile guy, but the sound quality is noticeable enough to more than warrant the purchase...decent radio to boot too!
Chalk up another recommendation for this tiny wonder!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back