So... The 5G headphone out is pretty poor...
Mar 7, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #31 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
And anyway, good to know my original question regarding the presence of the codec on the universal dock is sort of beginning to be answered. I wonder who (if ever) will be the first to convert the codec signal to SPDIF?

Presuming yours isn't a rhetorical question: I have been asking this SPDIF/dongle question here for about a year - and I have never got an answer. :hopeful:

Mar 7, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #32 of 92
what the heck? so we could snip the remote off, use the docking dongle, and stick a ditigal plug at the other end and voila we have a ditigal line out adapter from the 5G????

Mar 7, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #33 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
what the heck? so we could snip the remote off, use the docking dongle, and stick a ditigal plug at the other end and voila we have a ditigal line out adapter from the 5G????

Guess so...

I don't know how proprietory the digital signal is though - not too hot on Wolfson DACs
frown.gif

Mar 7, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #35 of 92
This looks interesting... - an excert...

Quote:

From link above...
The front-panel iPod dock uses Apple's proprietary 30-pin connector to communicate with the player. It feeds the digital audio signals directly into the system's digital-to-analog converter, thus avoiding the analog headphone output and its puny preamp circuit. The result is total transparency within the limits of the compressed (or other) audio files. Denon's logo appears on the iPod screen, while the video display takes over with a graphic display that mimics the player. You can sit across the room with the remote and use its controls—menu, play, etc.—to key in familiar iPod commands. The system accesses photos from the iPod or any USB-connected storage device.

Looks like some companies know what they're up to...

Mar 7, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #36 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn

The key point is that you wouldn't have an SPDIF output. Not yet anyway.

Mar 7, 2006 at 9:13 PM Post #37 of 92
So now we know that the iPod is capable of outputting the digital audio stream to the dock port. Step forward Belkin/Griffin etc..?
They won't sell millions of units, but they would sell one to me
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #38 of 92
The issue will be more of a case of the RIAA objecting. I doubt an SPDIF output for the iPod will ever see the light of day from anyone other than DIY enthusiasts... who might get shut down if they get too vocal about it. The iRiver was strictly niche but if word gets out that the iPod has a SPDIF digital out, I can see a whole phalanx of lawyers eyes light up with dollar signs. I know you guys can say "well there are MP3/CD players with optical out" but you see, on anything other than certain Korean players the optical output is shut down while playing compressed audio files (moronic yes, but you can see the misguided rationale behind it).

On the headphone front, the Xtrememac Micropack has been announced for a while but doesn't yet seem to be out. While they could be amping an analog output, I would imagine that given what seems to be the case to date that it would make more sense to tap the digital out.

I'd really like for the likes of Headroom / RSA to work on this and produce perhaps an "iPod module" to mate with their more luggable amps rather like the DAC option. That would be killer.

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:29 AM Post #39 of 92
Conceptually, I have always thought that piracy concerns because of SPDIF outputs on DAPS are misguided - an optical out has a legitimate use. Logically, the objection should be to optical inputs on DAPS (like the one on my JB3) - which has no use apart from facilitating copying in the digital domain.
Moronic...
frown.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 8:49 AM Post #40 of 92
The downside (to this remote at least, not neccesarily to a completely standalone DAC) is that the battery life is compromised... I think that you only have about 10hrs of battery life now compared to the 14-20 'advertised'

...To me though, the increase in fidelity is worth the compromise
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #41 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
Guess so...

I don't know how proprietory the digital signal is though - not too hot on Wolfson DACs
frown.gif

confused.gif
You praised the sound before I mentioned that it was a Wolfson DAC...
confused.gif

Anyway, a good diy project would be to disassemble the FM remote, and mount the board inside a nice amp. The power supplies to the DAC could be beefed up, and the line-level signal straight out of the DAC could be wired to the amplifier input. You could even install boutique coupling caps if you think that matters.
tongue.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #42 of 92
You misread me...

I was quoting the post that was saying about cutting the cord, and rewiring for an external DAC... and I was saying that my knowledge of Wolfson DACs and their protocols etc is non-existant.

Apologies for any confusion

...The sound is still great
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #43 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
I was quoting the post that was saying about cutting the cord, and rewiring for an external DAC... and I was saying that my knowledge of Wolfson DACs and their protocols etc is non-existant.

...The sound is still great
biggrin.gif

Ah. Yes, that makes sense. BTW, about cutting the cord: there's about a dozen wires in there!
eek.gif

Mar 14, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #44 of 92
Can I just say....

That on Duncan's recommendation I bought this wee guy (the FM Remote) to use at the gym with my Nano. It sucks having to ferret around in my trousers (no pun) to change songs - so a remote like this, that clips on, was ideal.

I was sceptical that there would be much improvement. I've used all the iPods including the Shuffle and old 4G and mini. I've combined the iPod with ER6's, Future Sonics, HD-25's, E4's, SuperFi Pros etc. all too get a better sound.

I've always suspected that the iPod wasn't delivering enough to push decent headphones.

I've used a Xin SM amp and the Sik Din and it's better but such a hassle to carry.

I recently went back to the Shuffle with the UM2's after reading that the UM2's need to be driven well to sound their best. True, much improved over the Nano.

BUT. And I swear this is true. Whatever chip Apple has put into the remote it does an awesome job. The sound with my UM2's is the best I've ever heard.

Please someone else try it and prove me wrong but I'm stunned.

Duncan... thanks.

ZT

Mar 14, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #45 of 92
So let's see how I would work this - instead of a TURBODOCK II I would use this remote, and if the SQ doesn't go down, it's worth using my Blackdiamond mini to mini to plug tween the remote to my amp, and then we're done - plus I get a radio. Hmm. And less strain on my cable because i can just stuff the remote down in the bag instead of smashing the cable in there and potentially kinking it up. But the remote is 50 bucks - so basically for the price of a Nano I'm buying stuff to go between my ipod and my amp.

Hmm, works for me! CURSE YOU, DUNCAN! I GOTTA CHECKIT OUT!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back