so one of my ear canals is considerably smaller
Feb 21, 2007 at 5:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

eruditass

Previously known as DoomzDayz
so my right ear canal is noticibly smaller and closed off, it's difficult to push in as far in with small grey flex as i can with the left ear. isolation is lopsided as with sound and it even looks off in the mirror.

e4c's & m6
dsc00004yp4.jpg

left ear
dsc00005lf9.jpg

unfortunate right ear. i can't physically push it further, there is blockage. i'm pulling up and at an angle with one hand, and opening my jaw. notice the left ear's seal, which i think is pretty darn good.
dsc00006qa9.jpg

does anyone have any tips (lol) on what to do? its highly annoying. will some tips fix it or is there anything that fits like the e2c that sounds good and isolates as well (is it just me or does e2c isolate much better. i dont have to take off my e4c's to hear people talk to me if i pause the music)?

anything an audiologist or ear person can do? one doctor said it was due to the fact that my right jaw used to dislocate and still kindof pops out, due to my extensive double-jointed ness that extends from my fingers/thumbs to my right shoulder and right jaw. i have gone to one several years before my journey into IEMs and as my hearing tested above the minimum in both ears he said i had nothing to worry about. there is an obvious difference is opening, as can be seen with the e4c's and as i experienced years ago when i used to q-tip myself.

Feb 21, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by liquidfireboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
custom earmoulds.

Another obvious advantage would be compatibility with other IEMs as well (UM1/2, most other Shures)

Hey, I own the mp3 player in your avatar. They no longer produce them I think.

Feb 21, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #10 of 11
my earcanals are different (but not to your extreme). I got myself a Comply fitting package ( 1 pair each of std., slim, and short) + some Etymotic urathane foamies (which are larger than std Comply but same shape and foam). In my case Ety goes in left ear, and std Comply in rt ear..........obvious next step, are of course, custom moulds.

Feb 21, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by RasmusseN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe use a foamy on your right ear?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cindyk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have very small ear canals(actually not even the smallest flex sleeves fit my ears), so I tried the foam tips, they work very well and are extremely comfortable.

i don't like the fact that i can't clean them as my ear canals produce a lot of earwax (i'm told because i used to q-tip them a decent amount when i was younger. now i use ear wax removal fluid and warm water).

other than that I tried them and they work better. however, it's weird. it goes in a lot further, but i guess the outside of my right ear canal is larger because the isolation is still worse on the right side (which i noticed today in a busy campus dining hall). the noise leaking in was in the right ear, and when i pushed on the outside ear flap triangle piece that hides most of the phone, it isolated a lot better. and yes, i rolled them with my fingers and held them in place for like 30 seconds and felt them expand.

are there larger foamies available? how do you clean your foamies? would complys work?

oh and as for custom molds.. i'm a poor college student
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back